“A Very Memorable HomeStay Experience”
Review of Casa de Angie B&B

Casa de Angie B&B
Ranked #27 of 1,632 Hualien County B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was introduced by a friend who had stayed with Angie twice before. Even though I was told that it was a wonderful home, my two days there were more than just "wonderful". We were first greeted warmly by Angie when arriving there in the evening. After putting in the luggage in our reserved room, the "Li Yu Shan" Room upstairs, we were taken around for touring the house. The whole house and its 5 guest bedrooms were all tastefully decorated and impeccably clean. After the whole day of touring and hiking in the Taroko National Park, we felt so relaxed in such a warm home. Angie then served us with hot woo-loong tea in the Dining Room. Her friendly and pretty mom joined us as well. We got to hear the history of this Angie's Place in that first evening.
Our next morning was greeted by a delicious and nutritious breakfast which consists of a bowl of seasonal fruit, a glass of black soy milk and a fusion sandwich (a Chinese pancake with salad and bacon). After filling us up, Angie had already laid out our whole day's itinerary with the driver came to the house to pick us up. She also recommended a local restaurant and reserved its signature chicken dish for us. All went well during the day tour and we returned home that late afternoon to enjoy her brewed tea and cut fruit in her famous tea room. She then brought us to a seafood restaurant for dinner. We had a very delicious meal with her and her mom's sweet company.
Our last morning's breakfast was equally good with different picks of fruit and a different sandwich. Angie then drove us to the Hualien train station. On the way, she made a brief stop at the local cultural center with display of the historical photos of the neighborhood areas. We also stopped by an organic farm as well as a shop to buy some famous local snack food. We bid farewell to Angie (and her mom prior at her home) and stepped on the train with contentment.
Casa de Angie is a home that made you want to stay there forever. Its tranquility setting combined with the hospitality of the two beautiful hostesses are unique and special. We are very grateful that our first home stay experience in Taiwan could be so sweet and memorable. Many thanks to Angie and her mom, we really appreciate their dedication and energy to upkeep such a high level home to welcome visitors from all over.

Room Tip: The two upstair rooms have a built in loft that could sleep 2 more people. It also has a more open...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank civ838

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed in Casa de Angie with my family (total of 5 adults and 2 kids) in Dec 2013. This was my 2nd trip to Taiwan and out of a total of 6 minsus that I have stayed in before, Casa de Angie is undeniably my favourite.

We hired a driver for our day1 in Hualien. Having toured Taroko National Park earlier in the day, we arrived at Casa de Angie in the evening and were warmly welcomed by Angie. She had prepared a pot of tea for us upon our arrival, which we all greatly appreciated after a long day out. Angie and her mum were the friendliest hosts and my family and I chatted with Angie and her mum whilst sipping our cups of tea. Angie and her mum made us all felt very at home.

We stayed in Li Yu Shan room which had 2 storeys and could sleep up to 7 - 8 adults. I took the 2nd storey and was greeted with a picturesque view of the Li Yu mountain amidst fluffy clouds the next morning. We got to appreciate the beauty of Casa de Angie better in the day and from the intimate and artistic decorations around Angie's place, we could tell that Angie had really poured her heart and soul into the design and structure of this minsu. Angie had arranged for us to have breakfast at the veranda dining area. The ambience was lovely as the balcony overlooked a pond and garden bathed in the soft morning sunshine. We thoroughly enjoyed the hearty and healthy breakfast prepared by Angie - we each had an individual platter which consisted a variety of fruits, crepe with sausage, eggs, and lettuce, potato salad as sides, and a cup of hot black soy bean drink. As always, Angie had also prepared a pot of refreshing tea for us to share.

We rented a car and drove around Hualien on day2. Although Casa de Angie is not located in the Hualien city area (approximately 25 min drive away), we felt that this was not a big issue, especially if you are renting a car or hiring a driver. In fact, its location makes Casa de Angie a tranquil and serene place which we all looked forward to head back to after a day out in town. Casa de Angie is also pretty near to several scenic attractions if you are travelling by car - Yun Shan Shui (approx 2km), Mu Gu Mu Yu (approx 12km) and Li Yu Tan (approx 10km).

On our 2nd night in Hualien, Angie joined us as we put fireworks along the roads outside Casa de Angie. We all had loads of fun especially my 3 year old nephew who was really excited and amazed at the display of fireworks! Angie also chatted with my dad over a few glasses of Taiwan beer and grilled cuttlefish in the dining room during our last night in Hualien. We all felt that Angie had become a close family friend after just a short 2 day stay at Casa de Angie.

On the morning of our departure, my sister left her handphone at Angie's place. Angie discovered it shortly after we left and immediately informed us about it. Angie then arranged for express delivery for the handphone to reach our apartment in Taipei the following day, and did not pass on the delivery charges to us. If not for Angie's speedy aid, my sister would not have been able to recover her handphone and we are extremely grateful to Angie for always going the extra mile to help us.

Another worthy point to mention is that Angie also asked about our itinerary in Taipei and provided several pointers to us, as she had lived in Taipei for more than 10 years previously. When she heard that we were going to Tamshui, she even drew a map for us and highlighted the must-sees and must-eats. It is these little things that Angie did that touched our hearts and which will make us remember Casa de Angie so fondly.

In short, we will definitely recommend Casa de Angie to everyone who is looking for a minsu to stay in Hualien, as:

1) the place is very peaceful, tranquil, and tastefully decorated
2) the rooms are clean, cosy and comfortable
3) Angie is an excellent host and will always go the extra mile to make you feel at home

We loved Casa de Angie (and Angie), and hope that one day we will be able to return to enjoy the wonderful Casa de Angie experience again. <3

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank shannyling
Reviewed September 1, 2013

It has been two weeks since I returned to Singapore from hualien, Taiwan.

Having visited Casa de Angie during my trip, I began to miss the tranquility and the slow pace lifestyle there. When I first stepped into the homestay, I was very impressed withs the level of tidiness around the house. It must have been the hardwork of the homestay owner who has maintained her house in this high level of cleanliness. It's quite a big house inspired by the Spanish culture.

To me, the intention of this trip is to stay away from city life and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The location of this homestay is ideal because I get to enjoy peace and tranquillity.

The number of rooms to be frank I think is adequate. I believe that the homestay owner wanted to maintain a certain kind of level of stay quality and thus this homestay does not have many rooms. However, each room are tastefully decorated, it gives a very comfortable appeal. For instance, the homestay owner arranged for 6 pillows for each queen sized bed, it is not a norm to see so many pillows even hotel do not provide such service, the linen used are of high thread count and it is equivalent to hotel standard. When you look around the minibar, the homestay owner generously filled it with nice tea, boiled water and snacks to go along.

One noteworthy point that the homestay is distinctively different from hotel is the toilet. The homestay owner is very meticulous to label the hand wash, shower form and shampoo into english and mandarin. Plus, I noticed that sanitary pads are also placed discreetly in a box for ladies. This high level of meticulous-neds efforts can be found and noticed in every corner of the room. These factors surely proves how much time and effort the homestay owner has put into making us the guest feel comfortable.

During the two nights stay, I was warmly welcomed by the owner and her mom who are very nice and friendly people. The owner makes great tea and generously shares with us good tea to go along with breakfast and tea time.

I would recommend this homestay to people who would like to stay away from the busy city life and get re-charged from the comfortable stay. It is also recommended to talk to the homestay owner because I have benefitted a lot from our little conversations about life and her travel experiences.

I will come back again for my hideout from city life again. Plus I like to thank Angie for making me miss the queen size bed so much. It is so comfortable! I miss those morning feeding session of her koi fish at the window, watch the firefly at night and catch the sunrise early in the morning. It's all worth it. I treasure this experiences and hoping for more to come!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank PhoebeTPT
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was my very first experience of B&B. In Taiwan it's called Mingshu or minsu. I took the 2day package which comprised room stay cum breakfast and tour.

The 'tour guide' was actually a lady taxi driver who drives tourists around Hualien attractions. She fetched us from Xincheng train station & brought us to a local noodle eatery which also served local fresh & seasoned clams - they were simply delectable.

To cut the story short, we arrived @ Casa de Angie in the night after our Tarako visit. What amazed me was the room was spacious with 2 queen sized beds and of hotel quality with very high ceiling and each room is unique and has a different theme. This homestay has 3 rooms on the ground floor and 2 bigger rooms on the upper floor for their guests. Angie has thoughtfully designed a room on the ground floor for easy access for handicaps and older folks. All rooms are tastefully designed with use of different materials- textured brick wall on one side, glass panels, wooden doors and tables etc. We stayed at the ground floor room facing a pond and it has a veranda decked with wooden reclining chairs and one can enjoy gazing fire flies and stars cum sunrise watching. However, due to the hot season (Taipei was heating up at 39degC and Hualien was at about 37), hence we didn't get to enjoy these activities. It's toilet is thoughtfully designed with standing shower and a sunken bath tub however it's regrettable that there's no window in this toilet.
Breakfast was served either in the dining room or enclosed veranda with open view. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast while watching birds flitting around the garden with lotus pond in the veranda dining area. Perhaps, we got up late @ 8am and the breakfast was cold and the crepe wasn't as crispy and a tack oily but the hot black soy bean drink was delicious so was the tea.
Angie, the host was a tea connoisseur. She also served us refreshing tea on the night of our arrival. We sat down with her impeccable dressed mum, her friend and Angie and ate peaches and chatted away. What make a homestay 2b a home away from home is the friendly and honest atmosphere that hosts gave to their guests and Angie and her mum naturally presented them to us.

Location wise, one would need a taxi to get around & Angie is well connected. This is an abode for quite relaxation. It's surrounded by neighboring padi fields but come autumn, there will a site to behold. An advantage is that this abode is also near to a DIY jade factory cum showroom of which I get to experience the process of polishing jade pieces for NTD 450/pce.

In conclusion, I would recommend this homestay as the abode with its friendly hosts made us feel very welcomed. For tour guide wise, think our lady taxi driver would need to be more knowledgeable to be entertaining and should have the interest of the tourist at heart first.

Room Tip: If it's a family -suggest u take the upper room. For handicaps, book the room next to the main d...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JIMIL349
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We are a family of 5, booked and stayed at Casa de Angie only for a night ( which I think is insufficient!). After a whole day at Taroko National Park, the driver that I engaged drove us to Casa de Angie. When we arrived at Casa de Angie, we were amazed by the architecture and design of the house. Everything is nicely designed and decorated by the owner, Angie herself. We checked in and had a bit of chat with Angie, who is very friendly.

The house is located at a very tranquil and peaceful town, surrounded by greenery, the room that I booked had a mountain view and imagine waking up, overlooking the mountain covered by a bit of cloud, with greenery and fresh air! This is definitely the very authentic 'min su' experience that I don't think I can find anywhere else. The only concern that you may want to take note it maybe the location (as it is not centrally located in HuaLien), but as mentioned in many of the reviews previously, this is not really a big deal if you have engaged a driver. And it's totally worthwhile for the experience!

Last but not least, Angie and her mother ('ah ma') are very attentive and friendly. Ah ma is also a very sweet lady!

All I could think of to describe this place is ' Shi Wai Tao Yuan'! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JingleL215
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A romantic and simple place great for couple getaway. Very helpful and enthusiastic hosts. When we were trapped in hualien due to the typhoon, host Angie took the initiative to help us arrange for a later train back Taipei. It was really very sweet and thoughtful of her. In addition, host Angie and her mum will ensure that we start our day right with sumptuous and nutritious breakfast made with fresh and homegrown ingredients.

The only concern would probably be the location of the place. As it's not located near hualien train station, getting there would require a cabbie. However, personally I think the remoteness of the location is a plus to the ambience. It makes the place quiet, and good for relaxing.

I would strongly recommend this place to people who are looking forward to a getaway from busy city life.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Javey T
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I met Angie, owner of Casa de Angie at the NATAS Fair in Feb 2013 when she was promoting minshu stay. I was then attracted to her minshu and immediately booked a 3 day stay with her from 28 to 30 Apr. It was a wonderfully memorable experience.
Casa de Angie is a two and half storey, colorful and beautiful bungalow. It is surrounded by padi fields and vegetable plots with a view of the distant mountains. Quite picturesque. The bungalow has 3 spacious bedrooms on the ground floor and a couple of extra large rooms on the upper floor. Each bedroom has a different theme and all are clean and tastefully furnished. The bathrooms are also big and the interesting thing is that the bath tub in each room is also different from one another. There is one that actually sinks into the ground and makes one feel like you are in an onsen. There is also a karaoke room in the basement.
Angie and her mum are great hosts. They are super friendly and informative too. They would chit chat and discussed with us, then make recommendations on where we should go and what to eat. A taxi driver was arranged to bring us out for two full days. During our outings, I discovered that Angie kept frequent contacts with the driver to check on our well beings. How thoughtful of her! (By the way we are a Singaporean couple in our sixties.)
Thank you Angie and Angie's mum!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple