“Exceptional service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hualien Bay
Ranked #129 of 1,539 Hualien B&B and Inns
“Exceptional service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We traveled to Hualien last month. I wanted something different from the typical hotel experience for our time in Hualien - and this turned out to be a wonderful departure from the normal hotel! As a group of two young families (with 3 children age 2 or younger!), we were a little apprehensive of a smaller space but this minsu was great. Andy was amazing - he replied promptly to my emails and was very helpful and friendly. Our rooms were good - if there was anything amiss, we just mentioned it to Andy and it was fixed immediately. Breakfast was served in a common area, and they were happy to accommodate for us with a vegetarian meal - and to show us a vegetarian restaurant for dinner. One night after a long day we had a "cup-of-noodle" type meal and Mrs. Chen offered to fix it for us in her kitchen (which we appreciated) as well as gave us a little bowl of some tofu she had just made. They were very sweet to our children and we had the pleasure of being introducedto their grandchildren one evening. Our kids loved to play outside on the porch & in the yard. We used the bikes a couple times and went across the street for a nice walk on the rocky beach. It is not downtown at all (but we welcomed that!) but Andy drive you in at dinner. One evening on our way back from dinner he even went out of his way to pick us up a famous Hualien tiramisu (delicious) - we were amazed at this! Mrs. Chen is an artist and her work is displayed throughout the minsu - beautiful. We would have liked to stay longer....almost did! as we almost missed our train (my mistake) on our last day - Andy rushed us to the station and found us a way to get our tickets fast (in spite of a long line!) Simply put - the Chens were wonderful, incredibly hospitable & friendly...a most delightful home stay experience. THANK YOU!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank IslandHoppy

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am going to Taiwan again and due to my fabulous stay in this minsu last year june, I decided to write a commentary on it before venturing there again!

I went with my boyfriend and 2 other girlfriends there last year summer and it was a truly wonderful 3 day stay. The owner was sooooooo friendly and the grandson was sooooooooo cute!! He picked us from the train station (damn patient and nice even though we were a tad late due to train delay) and immediately brought us to the cong you bing stall which we love so much, we had that for 3 days straight lol! (It is a MUST-TRY!! the egg burst in your mouth feeling is shioooooook!)

Anyway, Mr and Mrs Chen are really friendly and me and my boyfriend got the room with a small balcony overseeing the beach and a whole wall of glass window at the back of our bed. It was real romantic as we can stare at the stars from our bed and watch the sunset at the balcony in the morning. The air was fabulous and i loved chasing after all the small animals they had in their backyard! I even fed a baby goat milk and stuff lol!

Another thing worth mentioning is that Mr Chen's 3 year-old grandson, ou wen. He is absolutely adorable with his baby talk and stuff. Me and my friend kept playing with him and he seems to like us very much, especially me (proudness!!). One night, Mr Chen brought us to the night market and to our surprise, he asked ou wen to follow us into the night market!! That's the amount of faith he had in us and we were really surprised as we are just like twenty-year old kids ouselves and ou wen is only three, THREE years old!! Nonetheless, ou wen happily followed us in while Mr Chen waited for us in the car. We had a bit of hard time taking care of ou wen and stuff (cause you know, 3-year old kids wander EVERYWHERE) but it was quite novel and fun for a young couple lol! A girl even commented that we are really young as parents and my boyfriend and I felt really shy lol!

All in all, Mr Chen is a warm, honest and really fabulous host whom treats his guests with a welcoming heart ttm. PLEASE GO THERE IF YOU WANNA VISIT HUALIEN!! They're too nice t be missed!!

Room Tip: Get the room with a small balcony!! Its really spacious and romantic!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jesseye
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I picked this place because of the reviews on TA and I was not disappointed. The place does look worn and old when you enter but it is clean and homely. I sent a few emails (in chinese) to Mr Chen but at first there was a lack in response as his mail got diverted to the spam folder so do check as he replies pretty promptly. He was very helpful with all my questions even on the transport to get there from Taipei.

Some points to share on the place:
- Payment was upon arrival.
- There is a water cooler on the first floor just outside the living room and at the bottom of the stairs. It dispenses hot and cool water. Recommended to bring your own bottle so you can fill it up!
- The room I stayed in was 101 and can accommodate 4 people however we had all our luggage with us (the airplane check-in kind) so it felt kind of cramp. The room for 2 was spacious and fine.
- Towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair dryer, soap, shampoo and other toiletries were all provided for.
- There was only 1 pair of slippers in the room so bring your own if you prefer wearing slippers all the time, especially into the toilet.
- Breakfast was great! Fruits, toast, bread with jam etc. Yum. The 奶茶 (milk tea) made by Mr Chen's son is nice.
- The huge garden in front and behind the house is nice to walk around for a morning stroll when the weather is cool.
- Transport is provided by Mr Chen (Mr Chen will ensure someone else is there if he is not available) to and fro Hualien City when you arrive and leave.
- The 2 dogs are not very friendly so try not to disturb them.

Mr Chen's wife is very talented and all the "paintings" are actually small pieces of paper stuck all over till a picture is formed. It's pretty cool so check it out.

We stayed for 3 nights here & I totally enjoyed myself when in Hualien. The beach is really just across the minsu and it was an adventure to look for the path through the trees to cut through to get to the beach. Great fun! As we were out most of the time, there was not more time to enjoy the beach infront of the minsu. At night, if you listen hard enough, one can sometimes hear the sound of the waves crashing on the beach.

Before arriving, I requested for Mr Chen to help book Mr Li An Sheng (李安生) as I read positive reviews of him and I was not disappointed. My family enjoyed the time with Mr. Li (I will post a separate review of Mr Li and his contact in the forums). Mr Chen took care of the booking and my itinerary arrangement with Mr Li so it was a simple and smooth affair.

The only disappointment was that Mr Chen and his wife were not in town when we came so his son was the one who took care of us. His son did a great job but on meeting Mr Chen, who came back on the day we left, I immediately felt his warmth and hospitality. I would have loved to spend more time hanging out and talking with him and his wife. This was one of the rare times that Mr Chen has gone for a holiday.

If possible, I would like to go back again!

Room Tip: Room 101 can sleep 4 people but it is rather cramp if you have luggage (the airplane check-in kind).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tianryuu
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

The owner, Andy, fetch us from the train station on the day of arrival. The first thing he does was to bring us to eat 葱油饼,which was one of the famous stall in Hualien. He drive us back to minsu and after we freshen up, he drive us to the night market in city. He pick us up after 3 hours of shop/food.
Breakfast was included and it was great. Home cooked breakfast by the wife. Bread with jam, bun, fruits and soya bean milk. Can't even finish the food.
We didn't had time I walk to the beach in front of the minsu. We only walk there before leaving. It was a 15metres walk to the beach. Took a few photos before we left for train station.
It was a great stay at the minsu. Both husband and wife were friendly and showed us around the minsu. They rear chickens, ducks, goose, goats and 2 dogs (胖胖和妞妞). At night, they brought us to see fireflies at the backyard. Will definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Wongtracy
KL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I booked with this minsu due to the excellent review in TA. Andy and his wife is really lived up to their great reputation. They make us feel at home and make sure everything is taken care of.
Real Taiwan hospitality at its best...

The rooms are exactly as it is in their website. When we first arrive, first impression was bad, as the minsu and rooms looks old and worn down. But after settling in, we noticed that the rooms is actually clean and comfortable. We felt like we are staying at a family house instead of a hotel/minsu.

Overall, we would love to recommend this minsu to others for the great hospitality. And the breakfast prepared by Andy's wife is GOOD... love their souviniers too...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

When I first accessed its website, I already love this place! I didn't look for any other minsu in Hualien and my eyes have practically fixed to this minsu. And yes, there are no regrets. I had the best stay in this place!

The hospitality begins even before we reached Taiwan.

Mr. Andy Chen, the owner of the minsu, is very friendly and helpful, and assisted us in many things before we even head to Taiwan. We communicated with Mr. Chen via email and we booked a night in his minsu as well as arranged tours with him (he gets us a driver; Mr. Li to drive us around for the tours we have booked and Mr. Li is also a great and informative driver).

Upon suggested by Mr. Chen, we tried to book the train tickets 2 weeks prior to our arrival however the tickets were all sold out. So we gave up after we are still unable to book for 2 weeks and we told Mr. Chen that we will try to buy it on the spot when we arrived had Taiwan. To our surprise, Mr. Chen immediately (and successfully) booked the train tickets and he passed us the booking number so we can collect the tickets when we have reached Taiwan. It really puzzled us because we tried to book everyday but we couldn't get it. (we were told that it is actually easier and more seat allocation for local citizens to book and buy train tickets online rather than foreigners though I am not sure if this is true)

Mr. Chen came to the train station and meet us personally, introduced us to our driver for the day and collected our luggage to the minsu while we can begin our tour.

Mr. Chen (and wife, Mrs. Chen) reserves us the best room in his minsu; the room has a balcony that oversees the sea and we can even see the sunrise from the room. The room is clean, very spacious and the bed is comfortable! (the bed is so comfortable I practically refused to get up in the morning)

Mr. Chen even gave us a sky lantern and he helped us setting it off. It is our first time experiencing it and we are glad we are able to do it in Hualien. Mr. Chen chatted with us for the next few hours. It is very nice of him.

Mrs. Chen's homemade breakfast is really delicious. She even gave me a souvenir!

We also had a walk around the minsu before we left for another tour for the day. I should say that the minsu is a huge place and we enjoyed seeing the small farm they had at the back (they have dogs, chickens, ducks, sheeps, turkeys, rabbit...).

We have only stayed for a night in the minsu and it is already that memorable. I would love to return again in the future. Truly a hospitality at its best!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annann_h
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Very hospitable family, they make us feel that we are at home. At our last trip in Aug 2011, Mr Chen opened up his hard liquor to my father, who's a fan as well, and they sit there at the dining area till late at night talking about each other's work, family, etc. In addition, Mrs Chen's pineapple cakes are the best! Personally, I find them better than than the one at Miaokow NM - Keelung. :)

I will my best to incorporate Hualien as something like a base when exploring other parts of TW, so that we can stay there again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family