“The best hostel in my whole Taiwan trip”

Sleeping Boot Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I went to Hualien with my two friends last week and decided to stay in this hostel. We were received by Paul and he is one very friendly host. What I like about him the most is he takes the effort to get to know all the guests' names. He briefed us on the places that we could visit and the transportation choices that we can choose from and provided us a very clear map. The hostel also provide informative brochures and information in some tourist attractions.

Paul's friendliness has got many other backpackers to start chit chatting in the living room. He introduced us to one another. I also manged to make a few friends there during my stay.

The interior of the hostel is simple yet painted in vibrant colors. What I miss most about the hostel is the bed and the blanket. So comfy. So, if I ever go back to Hualien, I will definitely stay in Sleeping Boot Backpacker Hostel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sleeping Boot Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Paul, one of the staff there is extremely helpful. He briefed and guided me through the places to see at Taroko as well as Hualien itself with where to eat. He made me feel at home at once and introduced me to all the rest of the guests there which is an excellent way of meeting new people.
Definitely the place to stay if you intend to visit Hualien.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at Sleeping Boot.
Arriving on a late night train, I was on my way to the hostel, when I received the first surprise. There was this cyclist who came to fetch me. Turns out to b a staff of sleeping boot who came out to find me..
He was friendly, accommodating and very service oriented. So 2nd day after my trip to Taroko, I came back to be received by the owner, Qi Feng. He was impeccable. He really attempted to bring the guests together by doing an introduction, where possible. This helps break the ice for many of us. And he was really patient in his introductions and recommendation on things to do, and food to eat. I'm leaving Hualian early, since my whale watching tour is cancelled, but it gives me a good reason to be back in hualian and sleeping boot in future.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank dynastyhan
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Most likely if you are coming to Hualien you are going to Taroko National Park and planning to do some hiking, etc. So having an immaculate, extremely friendly, centrally located and inexpensive place to stay is all you need. I had my own room (I'm 35 and getting a bit old for the dorm experience though all of the other guests seemed absolutely lovely!) which was small but had a comfortable bed and private bathroom (for about $24/night). They have a kitchen that anyone can use and the staff goes out of their way to help you make the most of your visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lauraz7270
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed for a total of 3 nights at this cosy hostel. The owner Feng made me feel at home almost immediately with great advice on food, traveling and also introducing me with other fellow residents of the place. They have a very good concept of communal area in their living room on the 2nd floor of the hostel. You can get to chit chat and mingle with fellow like minded travelers!

All in all a great hosteling concept!

The location is only a short 5-10mins walk from the train station (if you follow the directions in the website closely)

Room Tip: Stay in a more private room if you are a light sleeper! The big dorms face the main roads and can ge...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. The host is really friendly which guided us the hualien details like Taroko and the city ect. You can get all the information from the Host. The place is really quite and just 20 minutes away from the train station. It's not a place easy to found though one the main way. Just remember there's a ham shop nearby and you will get there!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Visited feb '12.

My stay here was really really short cause I wanted to squeeze Taroko in my limited time. Its a 5-10min walk from the train station. I had a little trouble finding the place cause I didn't notice that I passed by it already and it wasn't easy to ask around in English but good thing a group of Americans overheard me asking and told me to walk back.

The place looked really nice and clean. The dorm room was simple but good enough for me. Shower was clean with shampoos and hair dryer for use. The owner was very friendly and helpful too.

A little tip, the walk from downtown to the hotel is really long so a bike can be useful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo