“Unique Style, Good Price, Bad Breakfast”
Review of Byeyer Hotel

Byeyer Hotel
Ranked #33 of 130 Hotels in Hualien County
Baltimore, Maryland
“Unique Style, Good Price, Bad Breakfast”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The owner used to run a quarry, and it shows. Marble and granite covers almost all interior and exterior surfaces. Very Hualien, and even hip. The youthful staff in spa outfits had enough English to be helpful. The rooms were reasonably sized, clean, and modern. It's on a busy street, but road noise was muted. It's a bit off the main shopping area, but taxis are everywhere. There is a nice hangout area in the lobby with tables and comfy chairs. The WIFI worked. The beds on the floor were oddly comfortable.

The one real clanger was the breakfast. It looked good, but all the normally hot dishes were room-temperature to cold. Some of the foods were weird and not tasty, and we normally like Chinese breakfasts (they also had cold weird Western breakfast foods). After one try we taxied to Country Mothers for breakfast and had a fabulous, inexpensive English breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed two nights in June 2013, and overall was satisfied with my stay. The room was clean and comfortable, the internet was fast, the bathroom was fine. The staff were friendly and helpful, but struggled a bit with english as is probably the case in a lot of places once you get far out of Taipei. I was in a non-smoking room and it smelled a little like someone had smoked in it, though the smell could have been coming from another room.

The breakfast was ok, about average for the hotels I have stayed at in Taiwan. The food was good, just not as much variety.

The hotel is in a good location for street vendor food and some other restaurants (find the Salt Lick for good VA/NC style bbq, believe it or not). The hotel is ~10 minute walk to the train station or a very short taxi ride. The night market is a long walk, so it is really a better idea to take a taxi, though from what I saw not many hotels are near the main night market. But there is plenty going on at night right on Zhongshan Rd, though probably not as late as the main night market.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff allowed us to leave our bicycles that we rented from Giant at the lobby for the night. They told us to lock the bicycles and that they've will have night shift staff to watch out for the bicycles. I believe them because it's a small lobby and the bikes are right in front of them. Haha! Clean room with tatami style beds. Free wifi. Can't really complain except that the breakfast selection was very limited.

• Stayed July 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A rather shabby hotel but is probably one of the better hotels you can find in HuaLien. It has a tiny restaurant at the basement, which serves buffet style, nice and simple breakfast. Outdoor car-park at the back of the hotel. We were satisfied with the hotel but not delighted, alright for a one night stay.

We stayed the suite and it was still very basic. The overall room did not feel clean, especially the room carpets and black bath. Would most probably try another hotel is visiting HuaLien again. The noodles stall adjacent to the hotel is a great dinner option.

Room Tip: Even the suite did not give us a WOW.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank neo2122
Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

When it comes to Hualien many tourists would prefer minsu homestay or inns near Taroko Gorge. But I find this hotel a gem in Hualien town.
The staff are friendly, breakfast served is good albeit low in variety, easy access to the main streets in Hualien for shopping and eating.
The room is big enough for the two of us, and the price is reasonable too.
Definitely worth considering if you come to stay in Hualien.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jason L
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Mar 10
Of the 7 hotels on this trip, Hotel Byeyer, was the worse. Its name evokes (more aptly), "Hotel Bye-bye." It was not the least expensive; it had the the most flaws.
It is a tourist-class hotel, ie, appeals to groups from China who want the best bargain. We sat among them at breakfast where some tend to slurp loudly, move about clumsily, and lack common etiquette and courtesy skills.
Our room 503 had a translucent door leading to the bedroom. Since I awake before sunrise, I dressed in the dark, occasional using the momentary light from my I-Touch deck. I managed not to awake my sleeping wife.
I complained to the front desk person that I couldn't turn off all the lights for sleeping. He arrived and resolved the problem by removing the bulb from the socket.
We were glad to move on after this experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This review is just a warning for those thinking about staying here. I reserved a room a month in advance of intended travel but had to cancel 3 weeks out due to a change in the itinerary.

I booked the hotel through the hotel's website at http://www.byeyer.com/. The initial response I got back from them after asking to cancel was to please contact Agoda. When I informed them that I didn't use Agoda and instead used their website, they asked me to then contact Travel King.

Also of note is that Travel King has already charged my credit card for the 2 nights I had originally intended to stay in Hualien.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business