“Taroko Gorge”

Taroko Gorge
Book In Advance
$33.00*
and up
Taroko Gorge with Qingshui Cliff, Swallow Grotto, Shakadang Trail, and Qixingtan
$330.00*
Private Tour: Taroko Gorge with Qingshui Cliff, Swallow Grotto, and More
$147.00*
Taroko Gorge Day Tour from Taipei by Train
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Take a train down from Taipei to Hualian and visit Taroko National Park- this is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Breath taking sceneries, clear blue water and magnificent sights of the work of mother nature.
It may be difficult to explore and cover all parts of the National Park in a day, so it is advisable to get a tour guide to bring you around.
Tonny Teng was our tour guide for the day- he is very fluent in conversational English, very humorous and very knowledgeable. Through Tonny, we learnt a lot about the culture, the people and the place itself. At the end of the tour, he even drove us to the night market in Hualien where we had our dinner before boarding the train back to Taipei.

One thing to note, the Tunnel of Nine Turns is closed at the moment due to rockfall.

All in all, I would recommend anyone who's visiting Taiwan to spend a day in Hualien and do a Taroko tour with Tonny!

3  Thank Rachel N
Write a ReviewReviews (2,187)

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I went in November 2011, the air was cool and crisp and so so so fresh! the hiking trails are interesting and well worth the trip. if you could start in the morning and finish in the evening that would be best. avoid weekends as that's when most of the busloads of tourists come in. other then that, i have absoultely no complains! if you wished you could do as I did and hire a driver to take you around (average pice is NT$2000).

1  Thank sueloves-escapades
Reviewed November 21, 2011

It is very beautiful. I love the water gushing down from the moutain. The air is fresh and you feel like you are in heaven.

1  Thank christopherchan40
Reviewed November 15, 2011

As part of a day trip to Taipei, we flew to Hualien by plane in the morning and immediately started our trip to Taroko. The gorge is special in a way that the scenery is quite unique in Asia, because of the geography of the gorge there are few human development therefore you still have plenty of nature to yourself. Now with the engineering part, which are the roads. You will see and drove past many tunnels and bridge which is simply amazing and it shows the determination and the skills of the designers, engineers and works who built this road many years ago.

Here are some tips to improve your enjoyment to the gorge, you can either select a day trip organised by a reputable tour company and the quality can be guaranteed. However you can also select a taxi driver / tour guide for the whole day, this option is only suitable if you know someone who can recommend a good one for you.

3  Thank FL360
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Travel from Hualien to CingJing farm with 古惠珍 cabby tour guide operated by a couple called 古小姐and 曾先生. Taroko national park is really one of the scenic spots that you shouldn't miss if you visit Hualien.The winding road to the mountains may be harsh on the travellers (esp those who have motion sickness..like me) cause it take 4-5hours to reach the mountain top. However, our tour guide is very thoughful, stopping intermediately for us to get some fresh air and also help us to take pictures! People who are driving there themselves has to be careful cause the 2 lane road may become 1 lane suddenly, there are areas where rocks may fall down, and fogging may obstruct your vision too. I find it really scary when I see people travel in the tour bus up to the winding mountain road.
Our tour guide is an aboriginal from Taroko national park, therefore I would say we are lucky cause he not only explained the origin the scenic spots but also showed us lots of interesting things. And this is the first time I get to taste the water flowing down from the mountain, so clear and refreshing, is totally safe to drink, and it really taste like mineral water. The whole trip is fun and I get to hike some mountains and took some really nice pictures. One of the thing I am really proud of is climbing a very steep rocky mountain. It is very challenging and I may not have completed it if it's not with the help my tour guide (yes! he climbed with me so that I can follow his tract and because it is steep, I nearly rush down to the main road if there is no one to stop me). I can't help myself but to promote my tour guide here. He is really friendly and thoughtful. Winding up my windows whenever we reach rocky cliff where there are high possibility of falling rocks. He even offer to send us up to the CIngJing farm (which is on top of a mountain and you have to take a public bus to go up) the next morning which we joyfully accepted. I would like to give some advice to the people going to the Taroko national park and CIngJing farm. Because they are up at the mountain, the temperature is much lower therefore remember to check the temperature before you go and bring a jacket/coat that's thick enough. My tour guide even gave me a winter jacket after he sent us to CingJIng farm cause he know I am affraid of cold and my jacket is not thick enough for the cold and windy mountain (very unfortunate, when we went to CingJing farm, the sunny weather has changed to rainy and windy).
Throughout the whole trip, I am glad I booked this tour guide that my friend recommended to me. Not only he got good drving skills, he is very thoughful and caring as well. Is realy hard to meet such a friendly and sincere guide that don't work just because they want to earn money from you!
If anyone interested in getting a cabby to Taroko, you could visit 古惠珍 blog: http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/mom88168
Can also email them: mom88168@yahoo.com.tw
The price is quite reasonable and they are really a helpful and friendly couple.

7  Thank michelle w