“Nice homey spot within walking distance of the train station”
Review of Mistro Homestay

and 1 more site!
Mistro Homestay
Ranked #499 of 1,658 Hualien County B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed at Mistro and would definitely recommend it - Claire was a great host, went out of her way to help out guests and help them get oriented to the town. The place is clean and well-maintained, with tea available anytime downstairs. The main floor (common space) has wifi with a good signal. The location is about a 5-10 minute walk from the train station, on a pretty quiet street that's almost all homestays. It's also just around the corner from the river, which has a dedicated biking/walking trail that leads down to a series of nice little parks. I recommend renting a bike or taking taxis to the east side of town - some great restaurants and markets in that area.

Room Tip: One of the larger rooms (I think on the second floor?) has a balcony, might be worth requesting! No...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank C O

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Was deciding between Mistro Homestay and another minsu, but settled for 2 nights stay at Mistro due to availability. Certainly glad that this was the case. Minsu owner, Claire, responded very promptly to my email queries and she could use English to reply my emails. She arranged for a driver to bring us around, upon our request, and help us to work out the itinerary as to where to visit. She made sure that we were fetched from the train station by the driver and she personally sent us to the train station on the 3rd morning upon departure.
The room was very clean and towels and toiletries provided too. Breakfast was simple but very delicious and the effort she personally put in to serve us was remarkable.
Claire was very friendly and helpful and that made our stay very wonderful. Felt like getting to know another good friend. She booked our return train tickets for us, paid for them first and collected on our behalf. She goes extra miles to help her guests whenever she can.
Thanks, Claire, we will certainly be back again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank leelets
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My group of 7 chose to stay at Mistro Homestay, due mainly to the positive feedback from this forum, as well as the prompt reply that made our reservation a breeze. We were not disappointed.
The rooms were big and unbelievably clean. From the communal areas, to our own rooms, the whole place is so well maintained that we wished that our own home could be like that. Although all the rooms were booked, we did not feel that the place was crowded at all!
The breakfast provided was wholesome and well presented. It made a good start to the day.
What made the stay most memorable was the hospitality which Claire has shown. Although we did not arrange for pick-up service and contacted her only when we arrived at the train station, she was able to pick us up immediately, making 2 trips for our group. Then she recommended all the places which Hualien city has to offer to satisfy our ferocious appetite. Claire certainly has good knowledge of the shops and eateries in the city. Claire also went out of her way to make recommendations and help us book accommodations for our subsequent nights' stay during our vacation. Her recommendations were good, as they were based from her personal experiences, or from feedback given to her by her guests. We were most touched when she even went all the way to the train station to collect our train tickets, paying out from her own pocket first since we were out when she received confirmation for the availability of our train tickets. That, to us, was service from the heart, especially when she had already spent many hours helping us in the booking of hotels in other parts of Taiwan. Thanks, Claire, for making our stay in Hualien a memorable one.

Room Tip: Both rooms that we had were excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bee8811
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Mistro was the first homestay that popped up when my friend and I googled for a homestay in Hualien. We were impressed by the photos of the rooms and the reviews. Glad to say we were not disappointed at all. We decided to reward ourselves and booked the room for 4 even though there were only 2 of us. The room was spacious and really clean. As mentioned by previous reviews, the best part of the homestay is the great hospitality given by Claire the owner. To quote what she shared with us, her motto is to let her guests feel at home as much as possible.

She was really helpful a wonderful host. From guiding us to locate the local must try foodie, booking day tours, preparing breakfast, booking train tickets, sending us to the railway station and even gamely allowing us to try driving her car.

谢谢 Claire, if you are reading this. Hope you fulfill your dream of setting up Cafe Mistro:)

From the two Singapore girls who drove your 小白

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Wanlin28
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at Mistro only 2 nights ago for one night. Claire was good via email in correspondence as their website is only in Chinese. She picked me up from Hualien train station which was great. There was no problem finding each other as I was the only Westerner there. Claire's English is fluent.

It seems they are two sisters in a nice, modern, and very clean multi-level home where there appeared to be about 4 rooms dedicated to travellers.

My room was very spacious with two kingsize beds, a couch, 40inch flat screen tv, small dressing table, and en suite with shower. (The shower's hot water took a few minutes to come through so I recommend putting it on the "hot" for a minute or so until it comes through). There were also towels, toothbrush, etc provided. It was incrediable clean. Aircon worked well.

I felt very safe there and it was central enough for me to the train station and shops were within walking distance. I was on the third floor however, and I didn't see an elevator so be warned!

Claire asked me about my plans for sight-seeing etc but I had already booked with Tony the taxi driver/tour guide (see forum) but I think she could have helped me if needed.

Wifi free and good strength but only on the bottom "communal" floor (lounge and dining area). Claire asked me what time I wanted breakfast and she made me a very nice club sandwich and coffee.

She has a credit card machine which was handy as I arrived without cash (you can use the atm at the train station or Family Mart).

The room was 2200NTD was I think was reasonable given the standard of room and service. I would certainly stay there again as a solo, English-only speaking, female traveller. Iwould also consider it if I was in a group due to the two kingsized beds in my large (suite-like) room, although I'm unsure if the price would therefore increase.

Overall, I was very happy this was my first landing-base in Taiwan.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Clair3J0n3s
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Mistro is a stellar example of a homestay. From the moment Clair picked me up from the train station, I felt immediately comfortable and at home with the hosts and the accommodations.

The house itself is a well-kept and clean building. The kitchen and living room area are on the ground floor, and there are bout two rooms on each ascending floor. The rooms are pretty standard - bed, mini fridge, TV, wireless internet, air conditioning, and a bathroom.

The neighboring area is quiet - great for those who enjoy being away from the business of the city, but it may be a bit boring for those who enjoy being at the center of action. The downtown area is about a ten minute cab ride, Taroko is about a 50-minute drive, and I would estimate the beach to be about a 15-minute drive.

Personally, what made Mistro stellar for me were the hosts - Clair, the owner, and her sister Clara. Clair is extremely hospitable and knows much about the surrounding area. Also, she has excellent English skills and it is easy to connect with her as she is knowledgeable about both Eastern and Western culture. Her sister Clara is just as knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and helpful. I had quite an unexpected emergency I had to handle ASAP, and Clara was nice enough to drive me around town and act as a translator as I ran my errands.

My qualms about Mistro are minimal and based on personal preference. Although I am not a particularly sensitive sleeper, I noticed that the mini fridge is quite loud and I had to unplug it to fall asleep. Another slight (personal) discomfort were the small windows, thus causing a lack of natural light or air.

Overall, Mistro is a great homestay -- perfect location for those who like quiet, clean rooms, and hospital hosts. I'll definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank songisongisongi
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I stayed with Mistro from 11 to 12 Dec 2010. Claire, the owner of the Minsu was extremely helpful and caring. She made the effort to pick me up from the train station despite an unearthy time of the early morning and cold weather.
Rooms are very clean and comfortable, has internet access and walking distance (10 mins stroll to Hualien station).
Claire is responsive to all my requests and provide a lots of traveling info about Taiwan.
Enjoyed my stay.