“Felt like home”

and 1 more site!
Mistro Homestay
Ranked #464 of 1,632 Hualien County B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Mistro is a stellar example of a homestay. From the moment Clair picked me up from the train station, I felt immediately comfortable and at home with the hosts and the accommodations.

The house itself is a well-kept and clean building. The kitchen and living room area are on the ground floor, and there are bout two rooms on each ascending floor. The rooms are pretty standard - bed, mini fridge, TV, wireless internet, air conditioning, and a bathroom.

The neighboring area is quiet - great for those who enjoy being away from the business of the city, but it may be a bit boring for those who enjoy being at the center of action. The downtown area is about a ten minute cab ride, Taroko is about a 50-minute drive, and I would estimate the beach to be about a 15-minute drive.

Personally, what made Mistro stellar for me were the hosts - Clair, the owner, and her sister Clara. Clair is extremely hospitable and knows much about the surrounding area. Also, she has excellent English skills and it is easy to connect with her as she is knowledgeable about both Eastern and Western culture. Her sister Clara is just as knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and helpful. I had quite an unexpected emergency I had to handle ASAP, and Clara was nice enough to drive me around town and act as a translator as I ran my errands.

My qualms about Mistro are minimal and based on personal preference. Although I am not a particularly sensitive sleeper, I noticed that the mini fridge is quite loud and I had to unplug it to fall asleep. Another slight (personal) discomfort were the small windows, thus causing a lack of natural light or air.

Overall, Mistro is a great homestay -- perfect location for those who like quiet, clean rooms, and hospital hosts. I'll definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank songisongisongi

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I stayed with Mistro from 11 to 12 Dec 2010. Claire, the owner of the Minsu was extremely helpful and caring. She made the effort to pick me up from the train station despite an unearthy time of the early morning and cold weather.
Rooms are very clean and comfortable, has internet access and walking distance (10 mins stroll to Hualien station).
Claire is responsive to all my requests and provide a lots of traveling info about Taiwan.
Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank RLim
Reviewed December 24, 2010

Mistro Homestay has a homely feel about it and Claire has done a wonderful job in decorating the place. .The room was lovely and big, just like the pictures in the website and the beds very comfortable. She is a good hostess and really helpful in pointing out places to go and food to eat. She also drove us to the railway station and helped with our luggage.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank yokemun
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Claire kindly fetched us from the railway station to the minsu. Interacted with other fellow travellers staying at the minsu in the evening. Just behind Mistro Homestay is a park connector which leads all the way to the Park facing the Pacific Ocean (about 4 km) and one can also walk at the Meilun park which is also just behind this homestay. Many locals were exercising at the park in the morning.

Breakfast is simple - sandwiches and sweet tea.

Claire is friendly and is a good host.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Kim025Singapore
Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband and I had a great stay at Mistro! Claire is a wonderful host and picked us up from the train station in Hualien. The rooms look exactly like the pictures and were clean and comfortable. We had a good breakfast and spent some time chatting with Claire before our departure the next day. Claire speaks wonderful English!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv-2-travel-1947
Reviewed August 17, 2010

If you don't speak Mandarin or Taiwanese, the mistro homestay is definetely THE place to stay! The rooms are very cosy and clean and the breakfast is fantastic (the owner prepares whatever you want). Above all there is the young owner Claire who not only speaks fluently English (which is quite unique in Hualien) but also organizes everything you need with great enthusiasm. Although travelling for one year and therefore quite experienced we would have been lost without her. She helped us with car rental, room reservations in remote areas and gave us useful tips about the city and the region.
Mistro's website (www.mistro.com.tw) is not in English yet, but you can find the phone number there.
Staying there was the absolute highlight of our trip through Taiwan!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tastynane
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Found this place through Trip Advisor, and checked Inn's website.
Had fast response from my enquiry, and Ms. Claire (owner) kindly picked me up at Hualien Sta. upon my arrival. She also helped me to book a one-day Taroko gorge tour (NT$999), and send me back to Sta. again next morning.
Felt like visiting someone's home, not a big property but nice living space with cozy sofa. Taiwanese B'fast was yummy too. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo