“Clean rooms. great showers. smart staff.”
Review of Amigos Hostel

Amigos Hostel
“Clean rooms. great showers. smart staff.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Just had a couple of nights here at this hostel. Five minutes walk from the station no more. Clean rooms and good showers.all staff chock full of help and more than willing to give advice on everything from where to eat to where to go and how to get there. Totally recommended

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Daegu, South Korea
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We had only one night at Amigos hostel during our 4 day stay in Taiwan and found the hostel to be clean, in a good location and comfortable. It's literally a 5 min walk from the station and close to places to rent motorbikes, convenience stores and restaurants. The room was small but decent and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was coffee and a sandwich which was a welcome change from the copious amounts of toast one eats when traveling. The décor reminded me of being in Spain in a beach-front bar which was quite funny. The guys on reception were exceptionally helpful in recommending good places to go, rent bikes and tour Toroko Gorge (tip: do it on bikes, it's cheaper and better than a bus. Easy to find and you can do it at your own pace). The only downside I'll mention was that the air-con is not turned on in the rooms until 9pm. This is in an effort to save energy, which I understand. Although it wasn't a problem for us, I thought I'd mention it in the review in case this is important to visitors. Would stay again due to location and helpfulness of staff.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Lo, 50
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Well situated (5-10 min walk from the train station, 5-10 min walk from a great great great dumpling place), nice staff, good real coffee, clean and comfy bed and showers! the atmosphere down there is nice, it feels good hanging around there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Nice location near the train station, nice hostel, modern dorms, clean, good atmosphere. Friendly staff who gave me help to plan a trip to Taroko national park and a suggestion about renting a scooter. I stayed there just 1 night but it was a pleasant staying. Going to hualien was worth, I had a nice trip there

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hsinchu, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My friends and I stayed 2 nights in this hostel during Chinese New Year. The location is great; about 5 minute walk from the Hualien train station. It's not in the busiest part of town which was nice for a quieter night's sleep. The hostel itself has a very laid-back surfer feel to it. Nice reception and lounge area that serves snacks and drinks. Small but tasty sandwiches and tea and coffee are included for breakfast every morning.
The rooms are basic backpacker style bunk rooms but not too small, which tends to be a common theme in Taiwan. The beds were surprisingly comfy and the rooms and bathrooms kept very clean. The only worry that I may have was that I didn't see any aircon units in the room, which wasn't a problem for us since it was cooler weather, but could be a bummer in the hot summers.
The best part of this hostel was the staff. I'm sad I don't remember names but everyone including the lady at reception and the nice guy who would recommend places to eat and gladly answer any questions about Hualien or the surrounding areas. They speak excellent English. These people made our stay worth it and I hope they will still be here next time I visit! I'll be back to Amigos!
Hualien is awesome!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ryan G
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hostel is worth a stay! We didn't have any complaints the whole time we were there. Stayed for 4 nights in the 8 bed dorm, which was kept really clean. Soft mattresses and really good bedding and pillows. The shared showers and toilets are clean and the water pressure is so good!
They provide a free breakfast sandwich and free tea and coffee all day!
The staff all seem really friendly, the common area is small but nice to sit in and talk to people.
My only issue is that I would have liked a bigger locker and maybe a lock on the dorm door. None of the dorm doors have key card entry or anything so maybe anyone could walk in, however at no point did I feel unsafe and I don't think they would have let anyone just walk into the hostel.
Location is near to the train station, shops and a good cheap Chinese cafeteria.
Perhaps it is a little expensive but it seems to be roughly the same price all around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My stay at Amigo's was fantastic. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station and the customer service is the best. I stayed here for 4 days and I forgot to pack my towel. Instead of having to go out and buy a new one, the staff was more than willing to lend me one of theirs. Also, if you want to go biking in Hualian or rent a scooter to visit Taroko Gorge, they can set you all up. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo