“A me go again”

Amigos Hostel
Taipei, Taiwan
“A me go again”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hostel is worth a stay! We didn't have any complaints the whole time we were there. Stayed for 4 nights in the 8 bed dorm, which was kept really clean. Soft mattresses and really good bedding and pillows. The shared showers and toilets are clean and the water pressure is so good!
They provide a free breakfast sandwich and free tea and coffee all day!
The staff all seem really friendly, the common area is small but nice to sit in and talk to people.
My only issue is that I would have liked a bigger locker and maybe a lock on the dorm door. None of the dorm doors have key card entry or anything so maybe anyone could walk in, however at no point did I feel unsafe and I don't think they would have let anyone just walk into the hostel.
Location is near to the train station, shops and a good cheap Chinese cafeteria.
Perhaps it is a little expensive but it seems to be roughly the same price all around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My stay at Amigo's was fantastic. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station and the customer service is the best. I stayed here for 4 days and I forgot to pack my towel. Instead of having to go out and buy a new one, the staff was more than willing to lend me one of theirs. Also, if you want to go biking in Hualian or rent a scooter to visit Taroko Gorge, they can set you all up. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2011

As we approached this hostel we saw the Hostelling International member sign, so we pulled our cards to get our discount, the owner told us "sorry we are not members anymore, but I like the sign". If they are not members they need to take the sign down or honor the discount. Personally, I think they need to put the sign down, because the hostel is not up to H.I. standards.
The 8-dorm rooms were ok, but I climbed to the top bunk and almost didn't make it because the bunk rail was loose. The matress was thin as previously stated, but not a big deal for me.
The Aircon was only turned on late at night, turned off early in the morning and wasn't set at a comfortable temperature. That really bothered me; I can not sleep if I'm sweating. The second night I asked the night employee to lower the temperature and thankfully he did.
The restrooms were old and in bad shape, a lot of broken tile and just plain dirty. No hangers for clothes.
The common area had WIFI, but was open to the street and didn't have aircon. Taiwan was really hot while we were there, The rooms were hot and the common area too...why do they advertise aircon??? I don't know, we ended up going to a coffee shop with aircon and spent the afternoon there using the WIFI.
The breakfast was one small sandwich, and coffee or tea. I liked it, and it was included.
The owner was a nice lady and she booked a tour for us the next day even though we arrived late. They close the reception at 10pm, so let them know if you are arriving late.
We have stayed in many backpacker hostels during our 6 months trip, but this place is overpriced for what they offer. They need to lower the price or improve facilities and amenities.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I don't usually stay in hostels or other dorm-based accommodation, but I booked a couple of beds at Amigos in the hope of saving a little money and perhaps meeting some interesting people. So, first and foremost, you should bear in mind this review is coloured by my lack of experience with shared accommodation.

We arrived there at around 8:00pm and were greeted by the very friendly lady at reception. The best part of our stay were definitely the hosts - very friendly and accommodating. After dumping the bags in the dorm, she gave us a rundown of the local area and where would be best to grab a quick bite.

The reception area was big enough, there is free-flow coffee/tea/water, and there is a single public PC available for use. There is also decent WiFi available throughout the hostel. In the reception area, which you have access to from within the building 24/7, there is a shared power strip available for you to charge your gadgetry.

So far, so good.

However, I had a very uncomfortable stay there for these reasons:

1) The mattress is very thin (1½ inches), so the bed was quite hard.

2) The aircon was not turned on and the remote for it was nowhere to be found. The windows were wide open, but there are no insect screens so I became a human feeding ground for mosquitoes. I had at least five welts on me the next day. Even if the aircon was on, the blankets they give you are basically glorified bedsheets and probably wouldn't have done a very good job of keeping you warm. The dorm we were in overlooks a busy street, and at approx 5 in the morning, the locals were up and making a lot of noise on the street (noisy cars, people loading and unloading things from vehicles, long and loud conversations).

3) The showers were very manky. Maybe I am spoilt, but there was muck in the crevices, the paint was peeling off the walls, fittings were falling off and the floors felt very dirty. They supply shampoo and liquid soap, but do so in old dirty bottles that had obviously been refilled tens of times rather than using dispensers. The toilets, however, aren't too bad and are clean. There aren’t many of them and they have no ventilation though, so when the hostel is full, expect a lot of queuing and shared smells.

4) There was nowhere appropriate to hang clothes or store things. Also, the entire dorm only had two power points, so it's a case of first-come-first-serve. When we got there, both points had already been taken up, and even though they provide a shared power strip downstairs, the last thing you want to do is leave a valuable mobile phone in a very public area while you sleep.

I slept for all of two hours that night due to the discomfort, and vowed I would move somewhere else the next day.

We booked for two nights, but there was no need to prebook. The hostel can sleep 34 people, but during our stay there were only six (including us), and they housed us all in the top-floor 10-person dorm. We only paid for one night though, so we packed up and left the next day. We found another place in town that felt like the Four Seasons in comparison to Amigos, and I slept extremely well and comfortably that night.

Here's the kicker though: we paid TWD450 each for that one night in Amigos (with a small breakfast sandwich included), so TWD900 in total. The rate for a double-room at the other place we stayed at was TWD999, and this was without breakfast but was at a level of comfort and cleanliness that was a universe higher than what we had at Amigos. You do the math.

All in all, I would not stay there again. However, I am not a hostelling-type, so maybe all of this is "normal" for dorm-based accommodation. This is just my experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DeaDL0cK
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Stayed at Amigos for 2 nights (17th & 18th October 2010), as it was a recommendation in Lonely Planet's guidebook and also English travellers that I met recommended it highly. I always think that a "word of mouth" recommendation is the best and so it turned out. I had a great stay at Amigos - Cheen (hope I spelt that right) speaks excellent English and is an excellent and very friendly hostess. They only offer dorm rooms but that is OK and is an excellent way to meet other travellers. Cheen, ably assisted by Amy and Jasper can assist with maps of Hualein and Taroko Gorge (a must see destination) and other information. Rooms are fine and location is very close (walking distance even for someone as overweight and out of condition as me!) A great and friendly place to stay - highly recommended and I hope to get back to Amigos one day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RobertByrnes
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This review is long overdue but I would still like to express my appreciation for the warmth and friendliness I felt during my stay at Amigos Hostel.

The owner of the hostel is extremely cheerful and makes you feel at home. Perhaps this is due to the fact that she is an avid traveler too and can understand the feeling of someone who is away from home. She would would gladly share her experiences about her travels abroad with you if you talk to her. I had a great time conversing with her and learning about her experiences, including her initial thoughts and feelings about setting up this hostel. She would also recommend the best food and places of interest in the vicinity. If you need assistance with choosing hostels/hotels in other parts of Taiwan, she is there to offer her help.

The bed is extremely comfortable and most importantly, no bed bugs!! I slept like a log throughout my entire stay there and woke up feeling refreshed every day. There is also a fan in the room in case you feel hot. The room is generally well-kept and I would have awarded it a perfect score if not for the huge layer of dust under the beds. I am fine with it, since I don't put anything under my bed, though I know some might beg to differ. The bathrooms are clean, though the water pressure can be rather inconsistent in some of them. They are unisex, as are the toilets. There is a computer with internet access as well but I did not use it, so I cannot vouch for its speed.

Breakfast is a very simple sandwich (ham, egg etc) and there is complimentary coffee or tea and water. There was once I casually mentioned to the owner that I would be going out early in the morning, at about 6am in order to catch an early train. Even though I didn't make any mention of breakfast because there is a convenience store at the train station, I was surprised to find, the next day, that she specially woke up in the early morning just to prepare breakfast for me before going off to sleep again. Sometimes, it's just touching, simple gestures that make your stay more memorable and it's definitely worth more than the comfort a luxurious hotel stay can provide.

There are convenience stores and some small eateries about 5-10 minutes away, should you need to grab more than a mere bite and the train station is also nearby, a 15 minutes' walk for me the last time time I tried it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo