“Creative”

Hsinchu, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Creative”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

As an exchange student in Hsinchu Taiwan, I have heard alot about the Glass Museum and one afternoon my roommate and I took the trip.

The entry fee into the museum is NT 10 for student and 20 NT for other visitors. There are alot master pieces of glass works, which worth the trip. There are also DIY works available on some saturday afternoon around 14:00-16:00 which they called family day and days with appontment. For such activity please call or visit the website for the exact date available. The fee is NT 150 for the cost of material and instructed by a professonal craftman. \

BTW, it is prohibited to take photos in the museum.

At the back of the Glass museum, there is a glass store when you can buy glass SOUVENRSSSS and is a place here you can have your afternoon tea, it is peaceful and relaxing!!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Weijuan

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ontario, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great during the Gl'Art Festival”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I went here on a Saturday afternoon during the International Glass Art Festival and the place was abuzz. There was lots to do and aside from seeing the museum, you could check out glass artists live and some of the kids had the chance to try glass blowing themselves. I have a hunch that these "extras" are only on because of the time of year. The museum itself was not huge, but still had some great pieces on display and I'm glad that we went. If you're looking for something to do in Hsin-Chu, check this out for sure. Note: photography is not permitted in the museum.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Lyndsey H
Hsinchu, Taiwan
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Galleries, Demonstrations, and Handicrafts”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Hsinchu Glass Museum entrance has received a bit of a face lift due to its international exhibition series. The pavilions have winning and runner up glass art on display as well as some contemporary media art.
The Glass Master demonstration is still a great way to spend an hour of your afternoon as you see the master himself create a work of glass art. Blowing, rolling, coloring, firing, (repeat) etc. As a viewer, it's not often you get to see an artist at work. Glass art especially is a delicate balance between the artist's intended outcome and what physics provides.
The handicraft huts are actually converted Japanese houses and they display some really affordable to really expensive glass art and wares.
I don't know if it was a temporary special, but the cafe at the rear of one of the huts gives you a free glass mug when you order a coffee (60nt +). I thought it was a great deal.
Bring a camera as there are many photo ops. There is something for the whole family as there is a children's facility with interactive games and displays. Entrace is 150 - 200 for all the facilities and the adjacent Hsinchu Zoo.

Visited February 2013
Tualatin, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Quaint, glad I went”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hsinchu is not really a vacation travel destination. I went on a business trip, accompanying my husband. The glass museum and zoo are right next to each other, so I made a morning of it.

Entrance was very inexpensive, under $1 US. Volunteers greeted me at the door and were eager to try out their English. While appreciative, since I have no Mandarin, it was a smile and nod moment.

You might spend 30 to 60 minutes wandering through the exhibits, much less with kids - not a hands-on type of museum. There was a room with a featured artist's work, a glass jail, a room about the history of the building (which looks like something to skip, but was one of the most interesting parts to me), an area about the history of glass products, one about how glass art is created, and on that seemed to relate to Taiwan's glass industry.

As I said, I'm glad I did the glass museum/zoo trip to add a little culture to what was otherwise mostly shopping and people watching. The museum is certainly a low-budget affair. Some parts were off the mark (I'm thinking the neon and the zodiac displays), but that was part of the charm for me and I enjoyed my visit.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank EGTA
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“You'll buy some for souvenir ...”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Nice spot for art lovers ... various designs made from glass ... creative and colorful.

Visited December 2011