“Clean, great pool, greater service”
Review of The George Hotel

and 1 more site!
The George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Manzini
Madison, Alabama
“Clean, great pool, greater service”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The room my husband, a friend and our two kids stayed in was pretty nice. It came with twin beds and a sofabed which worked out great. The room was clean and comfortable, not 5 star but decent. Breakfast is included buffet style. I enjoyed the breakfast and always left feeling well fed and ready to start the day. The service from the receptionist down to the cleaners was excellent. Everyone was very nice and helpful, so much so we were on a first name basis with them. The pool was excellent and much of our day was spent there. It was nice that there was a smaller pool for the kids to splash around in.

The hotel is right by town so to get to restaurants and shops was a quick maybe 5-10 minute walk. The food at both restaurants in the hotel was very good as well and I would say affordable. All in all, I had a great stay and would definitely go back.

There are only two negative things I would say: Firstly they do not allow irons in the rooms period, which to me was ridiculous since for the whole trip we had to walk around looking crushed. If you wanted something ironed you had to have housekeeping do it for you at a price. Next, internet. They boast that there is free/open wifi, but at the speed it goes there might as well be none. Forget trying to get on with a laptop, only a small device like a phone can pull some data. My best advice is to stay close to the pool, that's where you get the strongest signal.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kramn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Good price, good service, and pretty clean rooms. Not in the capital Mbabane but only 20 kms away. Breakfast was pretty big with a large variety and the lounge was nice for relaxing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Essex
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The George Hotel (it was renamed from Tun's George Hotel last year) has desperately unsafe electrical wiring in the bedrooms. The electric clock in each room of our tour party emitted regular beeps because it was wired into a lighting socket - everyone turned off the clock - which meant, of course, that the light didn't work.

One room had no hot water, two couples did not have rooms booked for them, and our UK Voyages Jules Verne Tour was greeted with a menu in German!

The food was OK.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EssexRichard

Travelers are raving about these Manzini hotels

Reviewed October 3, 2011

First hotel we stayed in swaziland, do not expect alot but a very clean room and desent food, good service just no room service and limited tv channels

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Bazzmanpta
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I think as far as hotels in the centre of Manzini go, this is a no brainer..... The George Hotel (recently sold by Mr Tums, and no longer the Tum's George) is the best and most affordable, so don't look any further! I stay here with clients on tour, and as a guide I get to see many hotels all over the world. This is not better or worse than many of them.

PROS: The rooms are fairly large and reasonably well equipped by European standards. (They have coffee stations which in South Africa and Swaziland is pretty standard). The bed is comfortable. The bathroom is adequate. The garden with the swimming pool is great on a hot summer afternoon, and the bar in the garden sells beer on tap! The food served in the dining room is of a very high standard, portions are large, and it is well presented. There is off the street parking. If you hang out in the bar, you can meet the locals.

CONS: Several readers have mentioned the water problem.... we had that too. It was sorted out quite fast after I made a scene.... Apparently there is a booster pump that provides additional pressure to get water to the rooms on the first floor.... and this is not always switched on.... I don't enjoy having to fill in my preferences for dinner at reception before checking in, but I guess if the food is good, the extra effort is worth it.... The business centre is not very well equipped, so even if it has several pc's you can't always read your mail.... I guess that's what we mean when we say... "this is Africa"..... on the other hand, if you have a 3G modem and are travelling with a laptop on business, the signal is strong. Note that in South Africa, some hotels provide free WiFi for the guests, but this is NOT the norm....

Would I recommend this hotel?
Yes, especially for business travelers that need to be centrally located in Manzini, and for a quick overnight stop if you are traveling through and want a place to stay with rooms that are comfortable. I would not recommend it as a long-term tourist stop-over, and would rather suggest staying at one of the properties run by Big Game Parks of Swaziland....

If you want to visit some place that is typical, culturally enlightening and inetresting, but not tourist trendy.... I would suggest visiting the Manzini Market. It is located just down the road, has a great selection of curios and craft to entertain the tourist urges, but also has local people selling all sorts of traditional remedies, clothing, fruit and household goods... definitely worth seeing!

• Stayed November 2010
6 Thank TechnoWarrior
california
Reviewed September 6, 2010

At 12:30 in the morning, I was awoken by a prostitute and her pimp trying to break into my room. They insisted on seeing my face and that I had told them to come. I bolted the door and waited for them to leave . The next day, I checked out and they charged me twice for one night and will not return my money. It has been two months and still no word. Do not stay at this place!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank siressex
Zürich
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I was travelling with a group of 12 and on arrival we learned on our own - no notice from hotel -that there was no water in the hotel. This means, no flushing the toilets, no brushing teeth or taking a shower. Although we were promised in the evening, that the problem would be fixed by 11pm, there was still no water by next morning 7am, when we left the hotel. There was no attempt made, to supply the rooms with bottled water so we could at least brush our teeth. The rooms were clean and big but since the water or lack of was a big problem, we do not remember the hotel fondly.

• Stayed March 2010
4 Thank Z_richEve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzini
Summerfield Botanical Garden
Lugogo Sun
Lugogo Sun
#4 of 6 in Ezulwini
Happy Valley Hotel & Casino

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!