“Gross”

Lugogo Sun
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ezulwini
“Gross”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel smells old, mildewed, and musty. We had a small cockroach crawling under the TV set and a large cockroach just outside our door. There were ants on the toilet seat in the morning. The elevator creaked like it might not make it. All furnishings looked like they were from the 1970s. The two positives were a friendly staff and a large buffet at dinner and breakfast. However, with all the insects and "oldness" I'm not sure how clean the kitchen could have been

Room Tip: Just do not stay here...they need to tear this hotel down and start over
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank onconrse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our baby for a week. The staff is extremely friendly and polite. The rooms are a bit run-down and you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside. You can hear people talking outside late at night and guys doing renovations in the morning. You are not allowed to bring your baby into the bar/restaurant either, which is extremely inconvenient because the othe restaurant is not always open. I would definitely recommend staying somewhere else if you have young children.

• Stayed July 2013
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've stayed here twice now, both times for business, and up to 2 weeks. It is a comfortable place, I've always had a nice room, with good daily service. Breakfast is a huge buffet and its well done, though when large tour groups come through it can be pretty packed. There is a nice pool and the staff are always friendly. My biggest complaint would be the internet, which you have to buy by the minute and its a hassle. Otherwise, I've always had a comfortable stay and been treated very well by staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here while on a tour of South Africa.

There seemed a bit luck if you got a good room. The room I stayed in was quite nice and may have been renovated with a good shower and nice fittings.

Breakfast was also quite good also had a buffet dinner here was fine. My sister’s room was next to the elevator and she had to change rooms because of the constant banging noise. The replacement room had cigarette smoke but this seemed to dissipate a little after leaving the air conditioning on.

WIFI is not free which is a major problem for me – internet should be free in this day and age!!!

They have a free shuttle to the nearby casino if that is your thing.

Obvious the tour company get a great rate for this hotel, but I would have difficulty paying the rack rate (about US$190pn) for what you get.

Room Tip: Check the room first
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ozitravel77
Ellicott City MD
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was an old Holiday Inn and needed some renovation, especially the bathrooms. Beds were comfortable and it was clean. Breakfasts were good and there was a great dinner buffet. The elevator is slow and overall there is a worn feeling here. You can walk (uphill) or take the free shuttle to their sister property, the Royal Swazi. That property is posher with restaurants and a casino.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We arrived at the Lugogo Sun late afternoon - just in time to see the sun go down. The Lugogo Sun is situated in the prime Ezulwini valley, but the hotel is in desperate need of an overhaul. The foyer is grand, but when you get to the rooms, they are not well maintained - fortunately we did not have any problems, but some of our group did. I ventured out to the swimming pool, but it was not very clean. Service was pleasant but slow, we spent considerable time checking in - probably there were too many in our group. The hotel is adjacent to a golf links, but I did not see anyone playing on the Course. Despite its run down condition, Lugogo Sun does manage to have its house full. I guess there are not too many hotels in this area. Swaziland is a scenic country, worth a visit, but I would not recommend that one stay in Lugogo Sun, unless you have no option.

Room Tip: We choose a room overlooking the swimming pool -
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
johannesburg
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is in desperate need of a renovation - it is looking very tired and the elevator complained on every trip up or down! The first thing I noticed was that my room smelled of a combination musty plus cockroach-spray.

The reservation was made by my business partner who provided his credit card number and he asked that the amount be debited but it wasn't so I, and my colleague, had to pay for our three nights - no big deal but it shows a slack attitude.

I ordered two bottles of mineral water from the bar at lunchtime and I signed the tab. Just before 23h00 the barman phones me to say that he wants to come up to my room to collect the R30 for the 2 bottles of water!!!! I was not impressed as he woke me up with this very strange request so I told him to get lost. I did tell the duty manger about this suspicious behavior but he didn't seem surprised.

The fruit at breakfast was very good and that's the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

I also stayed at the Royal Villas, across the road from the Lugogo and Royal Swazi Spa - MUCH BETTER! Great food, free internet, very nice big rooms, all modern - rather stay at the Royal Villas is my suggestion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Ezulwini hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ezulwini
Royal Swazi Spa
The Royal Villas
The Royal Villas
#3 of 6 in Ezulwini
Happy Valley Hotel & Casino

Been to Lugogo Sun? Share your experiences!