Tripadvisor
Negombo
1,074 results
All reviews sri lanka new wing pool area plenty of sunbeds air con buffet breakfast restaurant staff close to the airport the general manager beach side indian ocean long flight special thanks nice pool one night stay international airport curry
Selected filters
Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

For the price we paid (roghly USD 140 per night) we expected a better service. The wi-fi had problems, password had to be asked repeatedly, because it worked just for one day. The bathroom was flooding after the shower. The lunch by the pool had to be checked upon 3 times until it arrived. Error from the reception regarding our room number making me and the SPA receptionist to go to the big reception for clarifications and srealing about 15min of my massage time. No beach area and sunbeds next to the sea even though the sea is so nearby, which is great.
The pool area was nice, the bedroom was very comfortable and stylish, the SPA massages were amazing, the breakfast had a wide selection for any taste.
Overall a very good place for relaxation before heading to the airport, which is 30min drive.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2020

I stayed here 3 nights (technically 4 nights - see below) and was very happy with nearly everything. The room ("Coastal Deluxe King with Balcony") was great: good shower, bed, linens, electrical outlets, lights. The balcony was wonderful, shady and facing pools and beach. Two swimming pools, clean and nice. Comfortable lounge chairs around the pools and facing the beach. A decent bar with food between the two pools. Good wifi everywhere. I booked "half board" with both breakfast and dinner included every day. The food was quite good, especially breakfast. At dinner there was a fantastic dessert selection, but too many western main dishes for my preference. However, both western and Sri Lankan guests were eating the western dishes, so I guess they are popular. The beach was very good for walking in the early morning and in the evening. You can easily go out and walk up and down the touristy street (Lewis Place), and one day I walked to the town (about 1.5 miles) and then caught a tuk-tuk back.

My one complaint is a very serious one. My flight from the USA was to arrive at 5 a.m., so I booked the previous night. This was so I could immediately check in, eat breakfast, shower and go to sleep for a bit. I used Booking.com to book. Because I was afraid the hotel might cancel if I did not come on the first day booked - instead I would arrive between 6 and 7 a.m. the following day - I contacted the hotel through Booking.com and explained this. The hotel replied through Booking.com and assured me there would be no problem.

However, when I arrived, the two men at the front desk told me my room had been CANCELED because I had not arrived the previous night!!

They looked on their computer, etc. No, sorry ma'am, canceled. You didn't come last night, so we canceled your room.

I was outraged! But I held my anger in check and told them calmly but sternly that I had the email - which I did have with me - and I had confirmation, etc., and I insisted that they give me the exact room I had booked (MONTHS ago, I might add). We went back and forth a bit, but I held firm and said I would be very unhappy if I did not get the room I had booked, and I would call Booking.com, etc., and after about 15 minutes of this they gave me my room. This was extremely unpleasant after I had been traveling for more than 26 hours with three flights to get to Negombo. If they had continued to refuse me I am sure I would have cried from frustration - I was so tired and exhausted and shocked by their disregard for my arrangements that I had taken care to confirm in advance with the hotel!

In the end it was fine, and they gave me the room, and I was quite happy with everything. But the thought that they might have given away my room and I might have had to find a new place to stay - the hotel was very full! - is still horrifying to me! So I really hope they read this review and get their messages straight in the future so no one else needs to suffer.

One other thing is that I checked very carefully, and the hotel did charge me the same amount that my Booking.com reservation said, with taxes and meals etc. all included. This was especially important because my Booking.com reservation was actually canceled - and it was always intended that I would pay at the hotel. Booking.com followed up and emailed to ask why the reservation was canceled. They also asked whether I stayed at the hotel. I told them yes, I had. However, the booking still shows up as "canceled" in my Booking.com account so I can't even write a review there.

Room tip: There seems to be an old section of the hotel above reception, with newer rooms in a wing to the south side.
Reviewed December 29, 2019 via mobile

Poor service, had to ask for food twice, then when we tried to order the waiter said the kitchen closes at 10.30 and initially refused to take order, then came back with a menu and said we had to order asap when the time was still 9.40pm..when i refused to be pushed to order, the guy then said take your time... NOT THE SERVICE I WOULD EXPECT FROM THIS HOTEL..
This was followed disappoingly with the lack of any mosquito repelants in the bar area... Will not visit again...

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2019

Welcoming and friendly front of house staff. Our room on the top floor overlooked the pool area and beach beyond. Very comfortable bed and simple bathroom amenities. Traditional and western breakfast options were good. Beach area in front of the hotel was clean and wide.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Camelot_GM, Director of Sales at Camelot Beach Hotel, Negombo, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2019

Dear Robynw42,

Thank you for taking the time to review Camelot.

I am glad that you enjoyed our surroundings and culinary offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back to Camelot in the future.

Sincerely
Kimberley Adams

Reviewed December 18, 2019

Comfortable, clean room. Good bed, nice shower. Bed made up every day, clean towels every day.
The beach endless, and empty.
Easy check in and out.
Very friendly and extraordinary helpful people ar the desk.
Tonight: Avishka and Lloyd, Sampha also. I could really have been lost on my computer and change of ticket without Sithija.
The girls in the reception so friendly and helpful: Roshani :-)
Service great.
Food lovely and good portions.
Curried crab, a dream!!! I made a pig of myself cracking bones and sucking meat.
Two pools. Children friendly. Nice pool bar. I am ver sathutui! :-)

Room tip: Remember to book sea view. Internet a bit unstable when hotel is full. Internet all over.