Ways to Experience Angurukaramulla Temple
from $30.00
More Info
from $80.00
More Info
All reviews full moon day murals buddist pictorial lions
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2017

Were taken here as part of a city tour by Tuktuk and it was probably the most interesting after the fish market. Not much to see in Negombo really. Very ornate but we were followed around very closely which was uncomfortable along with being made to feel guilty with not giving a donation with more than 2 zeros.

2  Thank HolidayFanWales
Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

We didn't actually choose to go there. We only wanted to stay in Negombo for one night before taking the train up north. We spontaneously decided to do the tuktuk tour our homestay owner offered us.
He stopped at this temple, we went in for not even 5 minutes. When we wanted to leave a monk asked us to sign a book. We saw the donations of other visitors. I just can't imagine that so many people donate 5000r and more. We said we didn't have money (which was actually true because we hadn't made it to the ATM yet) and he started mumbling something while making a disappointed face. We have know idea what he said, but we felt like he was insulting us. We both left the temple feeling bad for not donating (which we would always do if we feel it's worth it) as well as angry because we felt like he wanted to rip us off. Our Sri Lanka trip started with some bad feelings and I am glad we met so many great Sri Lankans afterwards making us feel welcomed!

1  Thank DoroLea
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

The temple itself is absolutely beautiful but at the end of the tour you are given a guidebook with fake donations that have several zeros tacked on to the end. Since I had just arrived in the country, I was still confused over the exchange rate and forked over 3000 rupees! Needless to say, once I realized what I had done it kind of tainted the rest of my day. If you go, beware!

1  Thank paisaman37
Reviewed August 15, 2017

You get fleeced by the compulsory donation you are forced to make. The guy didn't even give me a receipt

Reviewed August 7, 2017

A recent contruction, yet something to view and understand the Buddhist faith and its devotees. It is worth a short visit, but must be suitably dressed.