“Excellent Guesthouse”

Morning Star Guest House
Ranked #2 of 279 Negombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We choose the Morning Star after looking at the very over priced hotels in Negombo that has received mixed reviews. Delighted we did. A lovely guesthouse with apartment type rooms for each guest, Very clean and nicely decorated, The grounds are lovely with a nice bar and pool. The owner is very helpful and allowed to use the facilities including showers while we waited all day for our flight that evening. Great place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josie_M2013
FrancisAppuhamy, Inhaber at Morning Star Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

I Thank you very much with my deep hearted appreciation for your valuable time and comment for morning star.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked this guest house after reading the reviews on trip advisor and were really pleased with our choice. Morning star is the perfect first night stay after arriving in Sri Lanka. Francis and his team and really welcoming and you quickly feel at home.

The rooms are a good size and beautifully clean, as is the pool. The spaces at the front of the rooms are perfect for sitting and reading in the evening, with a beer from the bar.

Francis was really helpful in organising anything that we needed, such as a taxi from the airport and a car to our next destination. In short, we felt really looked after and would highly reccommend the Morning Star.

3  Thank itchyfeetsarah82

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is the place to be when arriving to Sri Lanka. Unfortunately we had our last night here before our flight next morning and we would have loved to stay here more. My advise, start your trip here and finish it here. It's beautiful, it's cosy, and it's clean!!!! which is not usual (sadly) in Sri Lanka. The swimming pool is just perfect to freshen up, even before a flight. It's a hidden gem, you can't hear the hustle and bustle of the streets even though it's close to the main shopping/beach street. There is no dinner automatically, but I advise you to ask for it and enjoy the home made cuisine. Francis, the owner and his daughter are really nice people, you can learn a lot from them about the country and its people. He manages this little place with all his heart and with many years of experience in European hotels. This type and category of accommodation is very rare in Sri Lanka, so make use of it. It's a really good value for your money (55 USD/BB) They don't have many rooms, so book it in advance.
Thank you Francis once more for the nice stay and the nice talks.

3  Thank Aniko2013

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We travelled around asia and this was the end of our trip. We stayed in the hotel for 5 days and it was fantastic. The owner was really friendly and helpful. He made all the effort to make us having a pleasant stay and he succeeded. At the end of our stay our plane left at 2am. He let us stay in the room and even woke us up at night. This was really special, and we are very thankful!!

2  Thank Wouter v

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for one night in January 2013.
The proprietor knows exactly what makes tourists comfortable and he created a little quiet haven in Kochchikade. Him and his staff made it a personal matter to make us as comfortable as possible despite us spending only one night there.

We had a family room which was huge with all comfort: A/C, fan, satellite TV. The place was spotless and everything seemed recently refurbished. Our rate included breakfast which was also excellent. Later we also took lunch there and had the best sandwhich in Sri Lanka.
We cannot ask for more!

If you want to go to Negombo beach, this is only a short tuktuk drive away, the Kochchikade beach is across the street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ellen_and_Pedro

Reviewed January 2, 2013

It is very easy to see why this is the number one B&B on trip advisor for Negombo. The rooms were immaculate, the garden beautiful, the food excellent and the price very reasonable. More important than that for me was the service though. Throughout my stay it was clear that all the staff were doing their best to provide a warm hospitable environment. Francis in particular was very welcoming and helpful in both giving me advice on what to do in the local area and facilitating trips and transport.

The staff were incredibly flexible too. For example, as I was diving, I was leaving at 7:00am most mornings, and prefered the extra time in bed than getting breakfast, however, the staff were happy to cook my breakfast for me when I returned at midday. It's the little touches like this that elevate the Morning Star above your average B&B, and that made it the best place I stayed on my trip.

Thank you all, I hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Matt S

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I cannot find fault with the Morning Star Guest House in Negombo. Its a little oasis within a walled garden, 3 mins from the beach. It's recently been refurbished and as a result everything looks and feels clean, fresh and good quality, my partner thought the grass looked so perfect he even had to check whether it was real. The essential things were excellent too, in particular the bed, shower and food. And last but not least was the fantastic service, we were so well taken care of, Francis the owner was incredibly warm and accommodating and ensured that everything was tailored to our needs including extending the check out time to accommodate for my evening flight. A great way to end what has been a wonderful holiday in Sri Lanka.

4  Thank Victoria L