“Lovely Beach But needs improvement”
Review of Negombo Beach

Negombo Beach
Ranked #10 of 46 things to do in Negombo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Love to walk down the beach. Pathetic it's not mainatain properly. We donot know who should look after this best sandy beach in Negombo sad it's no bodies baby.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Negombo is nice and close to the airport, and it's good to be by the sea rather than in a bustling city, however if you are looking for a tropical beach holiday you would be better heading along the east or south coast. We spent 3 days at Mirissa beach - well worth the travel time.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

A lovely beach. Long golden sands and a nice walk looking over the sea, but a bit too much litter in places.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Negombo is usually the first or the last stop in one's Sri Lanka holiday trip and therefore it is not the only beach that one will visit or has visited. For my trip, 1 day/night in Negombo bookended my 2 week trip. From that perspective, the beach was a pleasant experience. It was refreshing in the early morning when taking a walk and in the evening it provided a decent sunset. The pollution levels in Negombo are much lower than most city beaches in India. So with a clear sky ahead, the sunsets had their own hues.

I had a room just on the beach at the Ceylonica and the drone of the waves were, as always, soothing to the ears.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My friends and I were considering a swim at Negombo Beach. Luckily we looked around a bit before launching in. My first impression was that it was overall an OK beach, not totally beautiful, but I've definitely seen worse. As we wandered closer to the water, and examined the debris more carefully, we realised a swim in these waters might well have made us sick on what was day 1 of our holiday. Fish heads were abundant, both on the sand and in the water. We saw a dead dog and a dead cat. Crows swooped and circled ... unsurprisingly given their attraction to dead things!

If you find this kind of thing interesting, I recommend the beach! Otherwise, your time will be much better spent relaxing in one of the nearby restaurants or bars, swimming in your hotel pool (or paying to swim at one if your hotel doesn't have one) or seeing the other attractions of Negombo. The beach is worth a quick glance from a safe distance at best.

The beach at Unawatuna (Southern Sri Lanka) is infinitely cleaner and more impressive, if (understandably) a little more crowded.

1  Thank MrsTentpeg