“Great hotel for the money”

Paradise Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Negombo
UK
“Great hotel for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for three nights at the end of a 3 week tour of Sri Lanka and thought it was excellent. The hotel itself is modern, clean and in very good decorative order (most other hotels I stayed at were badly in need of renovation). Every day I saw someone painting or repairing something. My room was also excellent. I paid $50 (walk-in rate) for a large room with a sea view, satellite tv (star sports, movies, hbo etc), fridge and a lovely bathroom. The rooms are serviced every day. The swimming pool is nice with attendants on hand to provide a beach towel. The food is fine. The hotel deserves its high ranking and I thoroughly recommend it. It was clearly building a good reputation as when local taxis and tuk-tuk drivers found out I was staying at Paradise Beach, they would invariably say something like: "Very good hotel, yes?" . The only negative comment I have is the noise which other people have mentioned. Somehow every noise seems to reverberate and you can hear every door closing on your floor. That aside, this is an excellent, modern, clean hotel with good facilities in a good location at a good price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed in Paradise Beach Hotel for nearly one month and enjoyed it very much. The staff was extraordinary helpful and friendly and we felt welcome to be their guests. The rooms were cleaned every day nicely sometimes with a flower on the bed or a beautiful arrangement of the sheets. Room service was perfect but mostly we enjoyed our meals at the nice restaurant with sea view and personal service. The pool was very clean and the garden was kept in good order. Additional wishes were responded if possible like getting breakfast before scheduled time, electric kettle for preparing baby food...
The only thing to complain about are the parties in the evening and nights. If you plan to stay at PBH and do not like to be disturbed you should asked in advance if any party is going to take place. The problem is, that in most of the comparable hotels in this area they give these parties to compensate for the lack of booking.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
chessington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 7 nights between Xmas and New year and it was the best I have stayed in in a long time. Rooms lovely Food great, Management and staff the best could not done enough for you I will being going back again next year for longer this time

I have noticed people complaining about the music at night well it was not a problem it stopped by 12 and it was great to see Sri Lankan Weddings and parties happening at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Hamilton, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

If you stay in this hotel, you will not get any sleep. There are vents about the door to the room and in the bathroom (see picture) that enable you to hear every noise possible in the hallway. Also, some of the people that stay in this hotel enjoy blasting their TVs all morning and night with their doors open. I had to go next doors at 7:00 AM to ask if they would close their door as their TV was on full blast. Furthermore they have Sri Lankan wedding receptions most evenings that start around 8 PM and end after 12 AM... I felt sorry for the staff who had to set up for this every day. They were overworked and it sickened me. I also felt bad for the guests staying there because during these receptions, they coral all of us into a corner out of the way and serve us our dinner. It is almost like we are a nuisance. Also, I found a cockroach in the closet, the shower leaked, they forgot to clean our room a couple times and didn't give us our wake-up calls. The noise thing by far is the biggest complaint though. Would NOT go here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
paradisebeach29, General Manager at Paradise Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
As a new Hotel We did not have lot of booking with the holiday makers and to set that off we had accepted some wedding reception during this period. The management made sure the music was stopped by 2300hrs.And in future we will not have so many weddings. during the high season. and for the noise in the room corridor, we are seailng the bathroom vents so that the noise will not travell through.

The management
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

My husband and I are newlyweds, just married in November 2009 and stayed at PBH for 3 weeks. My husband is Sri Lankan and I am Canadian, therefore depending on who is inquiring about rates you will sometimes get conflicting prices :( My husband visited many hotels on the beaches in Negombo but found the best value and service from the staff at Paradise Beach Hotel. They knew I was arriving from Canada and none the less the price was very reasonable. The staff at Paradise Beach Hotel were more than friendly and courteous. The were more than helpful with our wedding which was held at the hotel. Everyone made sure that the day was perfect for us and assisted us in every way.
The rooms were cleaned everyday with clean towels and linen, our bed always had an artistic twist to it...always so pretty. If and when we needed anything they were simply a phone call away and someone assisted us as soon as possible. The waiters/waitress were always ready to serve and so friendly. The groundskeeper is one of the hardest working people I've seen, he made sure the beach was clean for us on our day. The pool is very clean, the ground are well kept, ALL the staff are more than helpful....and when the day came for us to leave I felt like I was leaving friends at PBH and not staff.
Yes the hotel does host events that involve music but ITS A HOTEL not a retirement home! So you have to expect them to run as such.
Thank you to ALL of you for making our wedding day and our stay with you wonderful. We will come again when I return in April :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple