“Needed some maintenance to make it a great place”

Marine Tourist Guest House
Ranked #22 of 257 Negombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The rooms are huge, the beds are comfy. There were a few small problems that could have been fixed easily but I arrived exhausted at midnight and couldn't find the energy to walk down two flights of stairs to wake up the owners. The AC didn't work hardly at all and so the room was hot hot hot. I paid extra for this and didn't get a refund - boo. Also the shower head was broken, the window screen was torn etc etc. These small things could be fixed with 30 minutes of maintenance work, but the room probably had been ignored for a while. The linens and towels were kind of grubby and smelly.. a dose of bleach would fix them easily. Anyway.. the location was great, the price was great. Lots of food, drinks, a spa and the beach are within 2 minutes walk radius. This wasn't the worst place, and could be a lot better with a little bit of attention to details. The staff was friendly, if a little bit laid back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Marine-Negombo, Owner at Marine Tourist Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.

We are very happy to know that you liked our comfortable beds and view from the balcony and friendly service. In the meantime, I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team, for the short coming in your room air conditioner. We have taken note of your comments and have worked on your feedback.

Further we are happy to return the US $ 5 which we included in the room charges for the air-conditioning. But you have to provide your card details again since we delete all credit card details of guests after leaving from our hotel, complying with the international standards.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back in coming days so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Negombo again, so that our team will personally take care of you and your next stay.

I assure you that, you will see a marked difference on your next trip. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that ,your trip to Negombo and Sri lanka was most enjoyable.

Email: marinenegombo@sltnet.lk

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at MGH! The location was quite nice, with a lot of restaurants nearby, and a short walk down a path to the beach. The rooms are very clean, and quiet (aside from some inevitable traffic noise.) we spent the first few nights in a fan room, then decided to move to AC for our last night as I was a bit ill. We wished we had booked the AC room for the entire stay. I found our rooms got a bit hot during the day as there is no shade. The AC room was awesome.

The best part of MGH was the staff. The two guys were just wonderful! They were helpful, friendly, and very honest. My fiancé and I had a run in with the awful, criminal tour company across the street: Stanley Tours. They basically stole 2000 rupees from us. While they couldn't do anything for us, they were compassionate and understanding. They ended up hooking us up with Tony and Elite Taxi Services for a super cheap taxi to the train station. We ended up using the company again for a taxi from Tangalle to the airport.

We really enjoyed ourselves, and felt like we were in someone's home, rather than a hotel where you are just a person sleeping in a bed. If I find myself in Negombo again, I will most certainly stay with MGH!

Ps: just next door at Seajoy restaurant, you will find amazing food and great, friendly service. We ate there every day! Their curry and rice was my #2 in all of SL!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marine-Negombo, Owner at Marine Tourist Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review in tripadvisor. It means a lot to us. At Marine TGH, we are committed to consistently providing warm, welcoming and friendly service to our guests and your positive appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward. This gives us an energy, motivation and encouragement to provide excellent hospitality to our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you in near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at this guest house for a couple of days upon arrival in Sri Lanka, in order to avoid the hustle and bustle of the city. It proved to be a very good decision, as Negombo is a laid-back town with a lovely beach.

I stayed in one of the top rooms that had air conditioning and a lovely balcony overlooking the street and the sea. The room and bathroom were large, very clean and comfortable. The bed was also nice and included a mosquito net; I slept very well. I loved staying outside on the balcony in the evenings and just sort of watching the world go by. I also liked the views from above a lot around the building.

Just beware, depending on the season of arrival, many little wee, harmless bugs are attracted to the shiny light bulbs - this is normal and unavoidable in SL and is in no way a reflection of the property.

The arrival reception area at the hotel is lovely. I liked sitting there in the evening, as it was cosy and inviting, with all of its plants and nice tables. The Wifi did not really work all that well in the room but it worked well there.

The location is also very good. It is along the road with many other guest houses and hotels. There are some good restaurants and bars nearby. There is super cheap curry available right next door in a place run by some lovely older ladies. There is also another restaurant nearby called Angelina's that I loved. The beach is right across the road and it was wonderful to sit there and watch the sunset in the evening. A real highlight! If wanting to walk into town, it is very straightforward, and does not take long at all. There is a lovely church along the way.

I think that what really made the Marine Tourist special for me were the people managing the place. I really liked Nishan, his mother, and Jude. They were so kind and helpful, and a great introduction to the beautiful Sri Lanka. They even invited me into their home one afternoon for homemade lunch, which was very sweet of them and will remain a precious memory to me. And, Nishan hooked me up with Upul, a very kind and respectful driver, who spent the next few days with me taking me to some places I wanted to see. I recommend him for anyone limited on time who wants to make the most out of their stay.

Overall, I recommend this place. It is a good base from which to start travels around Sri Lanka. A big thank you to Nishan, Jude and Upul for their very good service :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Marine-Negombo, Owner at Marine Tourist Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Looking forward to welcome you in near future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here the day we arrived in Srilanka. We arrived late with prior booking. The bed was comfortable, room was clean and I liked having the balcony. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only negative comment I have is that the door to our room made a loud irritating noise every time we opened/closed the door.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marine-Negombo, Owner at Marine Tourist Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our team.

we are attending to the points highlighted in your valuable feed back.

marien-negombo.com

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Arrived exhausted and they were so kind to me.. Very quiet and friendly place near the beach..excellent food nearby..reasonable rates ..RESERVE ahead..they are booked solid ..very clean! Fridge in room..

Room Tip: All same.. Mine was non AC which prefer and was still cool enough