“Good............Can be better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Negombo
Mumbai
“Good............Can be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed for just 6 hours.......arrived at 3.00 am and left at 9.00 am. I could get a quick sleep and again a quick bite.
The room given at far end (29A ) was just OK. The central switch (accessible with plastic of door key) was difficult to find as it was partly behind wardrobe. The breakfast spread was good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
hanoi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed at Dons Hotel next door but used Golden Star for meals and other services. The staff here were great - no complaints. Waitresses in the dining area especially were first class. However, the hotel was let down by poor management and expensive additional services. I gave them 6 items for laundry, but only 4 were returned. They refused to compensate me for the loss and even insisted that I pay for the laundering of the 2 missing items. Also not impressed by the cost (2,000 rupees) of the taxi to the airport. Its a real pity as the working staff were first class. They deserve better managers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
goldenst, Manager at Golden Star Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We are sorry for the loss of your laundry. We as management would not appreciate a complaint like this. Because the laundry was returned to you three days prior to your complaint and you did not check the laundry whether there is anything missing until the last day you were leaving. We would have done a proper check if you have given us more time plus our house keeper always check it before handing the items. We offered you to give us your contact details so we can investigate and return back to you with a refund for the loss if it is our mistake.

For the charge of the taxi to the airport that is our standard rate and you could have used any alternative if you wish.
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel provides direct access to the beach. It has a cocktail bar with ocean views, with staff who will try to make cocktails to your own tastes. Many rooms open out to garden or the pool. The pool was popular, and looked clean and sparkly. Breakfast was included in our one-night stay, and there was a good selection of fruit, fresh-cooked omelettes, cereals, etc. The room AC and TV worked well, and beds were ok. WIFI was ok, but only in one spot in the room. The bathroom did not have a fan, or window we could open (as our room opened onto a corridor) so you could find it best to prop the door open when out of the room. We picked the hotel because it is only 15 minutes by car to the airport, and it was on the beach. We found about five basic restaurants within a few minutes walk. The hotel is not new, and you will find it dated, but it was fine for a non-fancy stay.

Room Tip: Ask for lawn or pool view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Turned up with a quiet reception. Staff took my details then sat me down to get my details ready then served and showed to their rooms the next 2 sets of guests that turned up after me. Not a good start!!!

Was finally shown to room 32. The room in itself is fine bar that it is from what I can see the only room that looks onto the road, incredibly noisy and right above the local taxi rank. Most other rooms look onto the pool which is quiet. In addition wifi only available in the lobby not the room. For this lack of tranquility I paid a whopping £50. If you go to a lovely hotel 5 minutes down the road called the ice bear you get a room for £16 none of which are directly onto the road. Overall this room ruined my first night in Sri Lanka. I complained to staff to move me but they said they were full. However I watched a stream of people pour in all day and there were Definitely rooms that were quieter available.

Expensive hotel with lots of cheaper options neighbouring. And if you get room 32 you are guaranteed a sleepless night. Not worth the money.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Negombo hotels

Katrineholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is my fourth time at Golden Star and i really enjoying to stay here during my vacation. I don't understand the bad reviews that the pool is not clean or that the workers there are not friendly, and over and over..
Every single time i feel warm welcomed and me and the workers are almost as friends. The pool is big and fresh, and same with the beach and the ocean. Golden has sunbeds on the beach and the palmtrees gives shadows and that makes the hotel so special! Aslo you can enjoy with sport-activities like badminton, volliball and other games. Very fun!
At the moment they are painting the walls of the hotel, and it makes the hotel look newer and more fresh.
It's a very good place to stay in and it's around 15 minutes from the airport. I will come back again! :D

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Emilia G
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

this was a lovely hotel with a lovely beach. i really enjoyed my stay at your hotel. very clean beach :) the staff were very kind and smiling. me and my husband were warmly welcomed by the beautiful people at the front desk. they were very helpful as well. the breakfast was very delicious i must say. and quick service at the restaurant. our room was very clean and was with a nice view. this was my first stay at your hotel but my 3rd visit to sri Lanka. i'm touched :) so i will definitely come back to your hotel. i recommend this hotel to my friends who are waiting to visit sri lanka and to everybody who is planning to have a pleasant stay :)

Room Tip: nice view from the higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hotel was booked by our travel agent and was assured that it was good. We arrived here around 8pm, raining, tired from our long journey from Kandy to Colombo, then here (Negombo). The reception looks very welcome. The family room was not what we expected, not refurbished room as told by the agent, rather small, aircondition not working, cockroaches, rude staff. We requested to change our room, after more than an hour of arguing and yelling at each other we were given another room which was a little bit better only. Breakfast was not great at all. Even though the location is good, I will not come back here anymore!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family