“just a short stay but here is my input”

Golden Star Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed for one night at the hotel. It is (or was) the initial hotel on the Intrepid travel agency tour of Sri Lanka in 2012. Perhaps because we were only staying one night I may have ended up with an ugly little box of a room. It did have a balcony but it overlooked the adjacent property which had a lot of garbage on it and some mangey dogs: welcome to the third world! I did not use balcony due to the very high humidity during the daytime and also because at dawn and dusk I was afraid of getting bitten by mosquitoes. Since there was an open little window from the bathroom to the outdoors, the mosquitoes could enter that way, and bothered me when I showered or was on the can or at the sink. The white walls helped me hunt them down and kill them (I didn't want to get any nasty disease from having been bitten) but Sri Lankan mosquitoes were wily: much wilier than any mosquitoes I have encountered in North America, Hawaii, England, the Carribeean, central america, Bolivia.... Since the room had no net, I had to bring one all the way from Canada. All of the other hotels on our 2 week tour had nets, so just because of this place (and my Doctor's warning) I had to haul a net around on the tour.
The hotel itself including the lobby seemed to be very clean and nice. In the midst of a reno...it will look nice when done. The pool also looked very attractive. Nice size.
Breakfast buffet was very extensive but there were a lot of houseflies on the pastries. Flies on food seemed to be a standard thing in Sri Lanka. Sorry I don't like eating fly poop! Try putting something over the food to cover it, eh?
I was told by people who arrived at the hotel a day or two before our trip officially began that they were generally harrassed by touts on the beach and that there was a lot of garbage on the beach and in the water. There were also touts in the town e.g., guys striking up a conversation by claiming to work at the hotel the woman is staying at; taxi drivers demanding ridiculous fares from tired tourists who forgot to agree on the fare before the taxi set off (FATAL error!). I had known about these "risks" already, thanks to tripadvisor members! I was glad that, as a single woman, I did not come to Sri Lanka a day or two early and stay alone at this hotel, for these reasons. When I walk on the beach I want to walk in peace. And I want a clean beach and safe swim (no garbage) The beach at Mirissa fit that bill (we stayed there two nights on our tour)
Room was very basic/spartan. I checked out the hotel prices before deciding NOT to add an extra night to my stay and although I don't recall the quoted room rate with certainty (maybe $130 US), I recall that it was relatively pricey. This room should have been priced at only $80 in my view. It was a plain box.
Nice or rather wonderful breezes at night...so nice to be at the ocean. Hence the high room rate, I guess.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank TorontoCarol
There are newer reviews for Golden Star Beach Hotel

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have previously written glowing reports about hotels on Tripadvisor, and I often wondered what kind of cranks or fusspots write bad reviews, but this hotel has opened my eyes.

It is, in my opinion, worse than the worst youth hostel imaginable. Ants in the bed, cockroaches, a smell of bad plumbing and stale urine in the bedroom, no cleaning of my room at all during a three night stay, dangerous electrical wiring, thin foam rubber mattress, sheets too small for the bed, no hot water in bathroom, no shampoo, no bedside lights, live music being played and amplified twenty feet from my bedroom window late at night...

However, I don't want to be all negative! The breakfast was reasonably good, although disorganised. My friend's room was cleaned even though mine wasn't. The pool appeared clean, although I didn't use it, and the wi-fi worked satisfactorily.

We had booked two rooms for three nights on the internet so we were stuck with it. The photos on Booking.com appeared attractive, but we didn't check with Tripadvisor. Please, dear reader, if you really MUST book this hotel book just one night initially so that you have the option to move the next day to another hotel or to one of the many excellent guesthouses available at less than half the price. There are plenty from which to choose.

My friend and I decided not to make a fuss and simply to get on with enjoying our holiday, and we both feel we will dine out for some time on our experiences in The Golden Star Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel if you want a good room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank dreamont
Reviewed December 11, 2012

we stayed for one night with our two kids. food and swimming pool is very good and the beach is the place where my too kids played. very friendly staff and clean rooms and good quality bed and interior design also very much apprciated. can recomment the place for groups , famity trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ranjana_59thITP
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is excellent value for money, clean, comfortable with friendly helpful staff. Although there is some modernisation going on at the moment, I was assured by its very polite and helpful owner that the work should end on 15th November 2012. In my opinion and I work in the travel/tourism industry, this is certainly worth the modest room rates. The substantial buffet breakfast which is included in the price is varied and fresh.The pool is very clean with great views of the sea/sunset.
When fully finished this hotel deserves to succeed and I wish it well for the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Its a horrible hotel. The rooms stinks. the door locking system is quite unheard of . One will have to lock the door from the inside with the card keys,the entire lights goes off then and one will have to find the key hole in the dark and lock the door and insert the card back so the power comes on,,,TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE !!

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side of the pool , ground floor was okay
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KottayamMiniii
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at Golden Star Beach Hotel for two nights in October. I seriously doubt that I could have made a better choice. The rooms are lovely. Somehow I ended up in a room with a balcony and a marvelous view of both the Indian Ocean and the hotel pool. Traveling from Kandy, I had eaten a couple of Sri Lankan sandwiches on the road so I wasn’t too hungry at lunch time. I did, however, try a shrimp appetizer. It was both beautiful and delicious.
The restaurant is a winner, but wait.

I ordered the Fajita’s for supper. Bad mistake, they were somewhere between awful and terrible. My best advice, eat there but avoid the Fajita offering. Meat was burned and too tough to chew, what was supposed to be beans looked and tasted like bad ground meat which had been refried. The rice was dry but almost passable. Did I forget to mention the tortilla’s, not at all. There were no tortilla’s. Where I come from the tortilla is the bread in which you place the contents of the Fajita. Sorry, Golden Star, I tell it like I see it, smell it and taste it. The next day I went to talk with the chef about the last evening’s meal. His explanation was that Australian beef is very expensive and local beef not very good. I suggested he stop selling the stuff and gentle reader I recommend you stay at the Golden Star, eat in the restaurant and by all means avoid the beef! In fact it’s likely a good idea to avoid the beef in all of Sri Lanka. Yes, it was that bad. Had they not served the terrible fajitas or had they offered to make amends for the culinary crime, this would have been an Excellent rating.

The next evening, my last night in Negombo I decided to try the special “set menu”. The price was 1,800 and I nearly balked until I realized this was a four course meal. The salad was actually an aspic and it was wonderful! The soup was carrot and orange; man was it delicious. I chose the fish and am so glad I did. It was delicious and perfectly prepared. The desert was wonderful as well. I love surprises and received a very nice one with the bill. The 1,800 was inclusive of all taxes and gratuities. This was a marvelous meal at a great price. Golden Star: Like I said, I tell it like I taste it, smell it and see it.

The location is marvelous, the staff is great, the rooms are great and the resteraunt is all most perfect. Love the pool and the beach is just gorgeous!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JerryCNX
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I'm using Negambo as a relaxing stay before the airport, but not at this prison of an hotel. I'm down the road at a cracking newly built guest house, still some building but on floors above ground and first floor immaculate and only £12 per night one the best I've been in on my two month visit to Sri Lanka, a short path to the beach Angel Inn. But beach is awful hell on earth and depressing ,I know it's out of season but the tourism minister should bulldoze this place even most of the palm trees are gone. I maybe picky having beautifully clean beaches at home in the Channel Islands, but I new this about Sri Lankan beaches same as India disappointing rough around the edges just need a thorough shrub and get the touts off the beach. Anyway I love Negombo town, large fishing fleet proper Sri Lanka with palm trees & weathers been great.

Room Tip: Just clean,good sober host,nice clean bed with correct working bathroom and shower, must all be chec...
Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo