“Very welcoming family guesthouse”

Beach Haven Guest House
Ranked #13 of 152 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Myself and a friend, both medical students from the UK, stayed for five weeks at this guesthouse in April 2011. We could not have been happier with our choice. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel incredibly welcome and by the end of our stay we felt very much at home at Beach Haven. The whole family were friendly and easy to get along with, providing us with useful information about places to visit in Sri Lanka. As medical students, we were attending Karapitiya Hospital every day and the family arranged a tuk-tuk to take us to hospital every day.
The accommodation was of a good standard, with a choice of AC or fan rooms on a sociable balcony area.
I cannot complete this review without mentioning the food. At a very reasonable price we were provided with epic proportions of delicious home-cooked Sri Lankan cuisine. The new year feast was a particular highlight of our trip!
I would particularly recommend this place to any elective students going to Galle as it really is a home from home!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Huw101

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed twice at the Beach Haven Guest House. The first time was in 2004. I stayed a couple of months at this beautiful place. The family that owns and manages Beach Haven is very kind and hospitable. They really make you feel at home! The rooms are clean and neat. Besides that, the food is delicious. I will never forget the home made rice & curry! And the location of the guesthouse is perfect. It only takes a few steps to the lighthouse, the sea and the shops. I love Sri Lanka and especially Galle Fort and this house. I came back in 2009 and again I had a great time at Beach Haven.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed at Beach Haven for a few days and found it comfortable, friendly and convenmient for touring around Galle and the beaches to the south. It was, as usual, poorl;y maintained. The bathroom was dirty and the toilet didnt flush properly and to beat it all we had rain come through the ceiling when it poured and we were not offered another room or compensation. Overall its a very family run guest house and if you want to be part of it then its great.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monda15
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Mrs.Wijenayake's Home stay is fantastic. Both Mrs W & Daughter are always there to help, you just have to ask. The house is clean neat & tidy & they are proud to offer up the rooms for accommodation. Breakfast, if you want to take it, is the traditional style or you can have eggs, toast & fruit. The A/C room we had with en suite was clean, tidy & had a mosquito net to keep those pesky little blighters off you at night. We had the opportunity to learn some Sri Lankan coking with Mrs W Daughter & if you have the chance to do that I would strongly recommend it. I borrowed one of the bicycles to ride around town & that was great. If you need a Tuk Tuk driver, the Ladies will organize it. If possible, ask for Pradeep. He is one of the nicest blokes you find in Sri Lanka. His driving is totally safe & he will will take you anywhere in the Galle district.
I thoroughly recommend this home for value for money & a genuine home away from home

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I had stayed here for 1 year before, so I know this guest house and the family very well.
I love their hospitality, cleanliness, kindness, nice meals and also reasonable price.
So I stay this guest house every I visit Sri Lanka.
I am looking forward to seeing them again!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My daughter & I stayed here for five nights in March 2011.

Superb... clean, quiet & safe. In terms of price paid per night it was one of the best deals we got during our whole tour of Sri Lanka.

110% reccommended

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 19, 2011

As a german medical student I worked at the Mahomodara Hospital in Galle and decided to stay in this guetshouse for 2 months. Looking back this is the best decision that I could have made.
The rooms are not expensive, nice and clean (some with A/C, some with fan), free Wifi and they have a nice balkony to sit and meet other travelers and students. The food that they cook for breakfast and dinner is one of the best that I have ever tasted in Sri Lanka. The guesthouse is situated in the Galle-Fort, which is compared to the rest of the city a really quiet and relaxed area with a lot of nice restaurants and little shops, the lighthouse, churches, mosks, some museums and the possibilty to do some lovely walks on the Fort-walls and watch the sunset while the turtles swim close to the shore to find some food. Also the bus terminal, the train station and the city centre of Galle are very close (reachable by walking).
But the best of everything is the helpful and friendly family that runs the guesthouse. They make this place a home to you very quickly. They are honest, helpful and lovely. They can give you many advices where to travel and how to get there, they know which shop owners won't cheat on you and they get you the best threewheel driver they know. They know a lot of people, have many connections and they also help local children with their school education. They are some of the most caring families I have ever met. No matter what, I could ask them everything.
This is a perfect place for people who spend a longer period in Galle as well as for backpackers, families, couples or single travellers (I have met them all) that only want to spend a few nights in Galle.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business