“A big disappointment do not purchase jewellery here!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
L. Wimalarathna Gems & Jewellery
Ranked #38 of 44 Shopping in Galle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I do not want other foreigners visiting Sri Lanka to be cheated when they buy jewellery from this jeweller.

In March of this year I visited Sri Lanka on holiday and I purchased some sapphire stud style earrings from L. Wimalarathna Gems & Jewellery, Galle.
Received the usual good/pushy customer service with assurances that their jewellery was genuine, excellent prices and qualitiy etc.

I was given a receipt which stated that the earrings were gold and was told specifically that they were white gold.
I paid $400US for the earrings and was told I was getting a good price and that the earrings were worth much more.
When I returned to Australia I had the earrings valued for insurance purposes, they were tested and they were not gold but sterling silver and only worth $300AU which is some $120US less than I paid for them not to mention the fraudulant receipt.

I have been in touch with the jeweller countless times via email, he has said he is sorry, will make me happy, that it was an honest mistake (I find hard to believe as it is his area of expertise) and that he would reimburse me the difference giving me excuses but it is 4 months now and he has not responded to any emails in over a month.
Last excuse was there was no way to send money out of Sri Lanka, I pointed out a bank cheque for the difference would do but no response. Surprise!!

The whole experience has left really a bad impression on me regarding jewellers in Sri Lanka.

Be warned and do not use this store purchasing jewellery in Sri Lanka.

10  Thank sms59aust