“History remade”
Review of Amangalla

Amangalla
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed only a night, but it was great. The hotel is situated in-between the fort walls in the great Dutch fort with a great historical ambiance. The food is great and the untouched historical beauty of the hotel is so great. The old style renovated rooms are great plus, the large pool in the backyard.
I personally had a SPA treatment and most of all they have an on call barber.
Overall it’s a great place to stay in the world heritage site of Galle Fort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Steve C

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Spent a couple of nights here.
Possibly the best hotel in Sri Lanka ?
Really could find no fault whatsoever.
Charming staff from the manager to the guy carrying our luggage and all between.
Stunning room.
Beautiful pool area.
My wife reckoned the massage she had was the best ever.
Great food.
Room rate expensive but worth every penny and meals and drinks very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dix25
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I am very fortunate that I have been able to visit many countries in Asia as my fiancé has frequent business in Hong Kong. This trip we decided on Sri Lanka for 7 days and then on to Maldives. Our first leg of the trip was in the south, and we chose Amangalla as it was highly recommended by American Express and we have enjoyed our stay in Aman resorts in the past.
We arrived at a highly inconvenient time-2AM!
Yet we still received a full, royal, Aman welcome by the staff with cool towels, cold drinks, even the chef was on hand to ask if we would like him to prepare us anything to eat!
The suite was spacious, elegant, and had everything we needed and more. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast and were off to explore. The area is quite rich in history and Sri Lankan Culture. One day we spent relaxing poolside and enjoyed a prawn and avocado salad with Mojitos. There is an elegant library with a staggering number of books about Sri Lanka and games as well! Pietro, the General Manager, even coached me on my all but forgotten Backgammon gaming skills against my fiancé! Although we only spent 3 days there before moving on to Columbo, The Amangalla was by far my favorite resort of the entire trip ( and I was in the Taj at Columbo and Shangri- La in Maldives!)
Words simply cannot express what a wonderful experience it was- the staff anticipates your every need to the smallest detail! Every meal at the hotel was superb and the service phenomenal!
Pietro offered wonderful recommendations for sight-seeing and made sure our stay was memorable.
I have wanted to visit Sri Lanka for years, and I am so glad I started the trip at the Amangalla!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krista W
Reviewed April 29, 2014

All my experiences with Aman have been very good, but this historical property located in the middle of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Dutch Fort area of Galle is special: Rooms, pool, location, food, service all excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I spend one night, two days at this hotel, a UNESCO protected building plush with history. Yes it is expensive but then again it is the Aman hotel and resort that runs it.. so you know you will get luxury and a particular attention to every detail. Details? Like books about Galle in your room, also in your room: mosquito repellant, candles and matches, fruits, lots of water bottles and packed fridge with nice drinks and snacks. The mix of antiques and modern features takes you back in time and gives you a very colonial feel. I had all my meals there and loved eating on the terrace. The menu excellent and the taste on practically everything was appealing. The manager personally greets you when you arrive, takes you on a wonderful tour of the place sharing its illustrious history and sees you off when you leave. Gifts upon departure were unexpected and so nice. As we had a late flight out of Colombo, we were allowed to stay in the room all the way to 4pm (as it was not booked after us)! Pool and spa area so quiet, elegant, and can accommodate lunch by the pool. We had the Chambre which was beautiful with high ceilings with a terrace overlooking the pool/garden but next time taking the suite with a view of the street as it is on the second floor. All in all, this hotel takes you back in time and surrounds you with warmth, elegance, charm, hospitality, history and luxury. Worth every penny. Recommend it wholeheatedly. Splurge as this one is worth it.

Room Tip: Go with the Chambre or Suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Todovika
Reviewed April 13, 2014

After travelling through Sri Lanka for 2 weeks, we ended our trip in Galle for 3 days. Being a group of 5 portuguese female friends we wanted to visit Galle and see the remains of the portuguese influence there, as we arrived in Galle in the year 1505! And stayed there for more than 100 years. Being an Amanjunkie I could not stay anywhere else but Amangalla. And of course I was not disappointed. Very colonial, beautiful decor, beautiful swimmingpool and best location. After being given my room facing the garden with a small outdoor entrance and near the pool, the great Aman service noticed my suitcases tags from many other Aman Hotels and immediately they said as I always stay in Amans they wanted to upgrade me to a fantastic suite! But I was so happy with my room near the pool that I did not change! Sorry! You can stay in rooms leading to the inner corridors or the rooms facing the gardens. I myself like these very much. We had a great Massage and they organized for us a private diner in a garden pavillion which was fantastic. Also we had our private Buttler who was also our marvellous guide through the delightful small streets of the
Fort of Galle. Overall a perfect stay and do go to Galle and do stay at Amangalla. Hope to come back one day!
Isabel Soares Franco
Portugal

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank IsabelFranco
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Amangalla treated us like royalty from the minute we entered. From our opening tour of the facilities through the end of our stay, Amangalla was an oasis within the hectic fort surrounding. The Olympic sized pool and complete private spa facility gave this hotel an advantage over others we visited on our tour of Sri Lanka. Rooms were beautiful, particularly the floor to ceiling windows stretching the length of the room. The food was great and the chef was especially accommodating for the Vegan eaters in our group. Overall excellent experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family