“The Amangalla - a truly lovely place to stay”
Review of Amangalla

Amangalla
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We spent two nights in this wonderful hotel. It was quiet at the time of our stay but you just knew that the outstanding levels of service would be the same no matter how many guests were there.
From the moment we were greeted on arrival by the manager to the send off by many of the staff the whole stay was just lovely and we cannot wait to go back soon.
The food is both excellent and reasonable for such a great hotel, the swimming pool beautiful and the rooms stunning. The library was my favourite place - quiet and elegant. Although expensive you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Robertmcilwraith
There are newer reviews for Amangalla

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed over at the Amangalla as a part of my honeymoon trip and I am at loss for words to relate the fantastic stay I had at the Amangalla. From the point of welcome to the point of saying goodbye you are treated as royalty and every point of details is carefully looked into with so much attention.

I was wowed and I would highly recommend the Amangalla for anybody who is looking for accommodation in Galle. It is the best place to stay whilst you witness the story of Galle.

Room Tip: Ask for the garden chambers, or the bedrooms towards the garden side.. Their Suites are amazing too...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Amangalla for one night on the way back to the airport in Colombo from our week’s stay at its sister property, Amanwella in Tangalle. Originally we were planning on staying at Amanwella for the full trip, but they recommended we spend one night at Amangalla as it’s such a different feel. They arranged everything and we were not disappointed. Knowing that the building is hundreds of years old and the important part it played in the history of Galle and Sri Lanka makes it more special. What I really liked about it is that they kept it authentic – its overall feel stays true to its Dutch heritage – with the Grote Zaal, or “Great Hall.” Also the period furniture, gorgeous hardwood floors and room decorations made us feel that we had gone back in time a century. Afternoon tea on the veranda was a big highlight – sipping delicious teas fresh from the island while we watched everyone come and go through the gates of the Galle Fort. Truly extraordinary. Our butler from the hotel also gave us a tour around the fort while informing us about its history. We found that everyone we met was eager to share knowledge about their beautiful country. The food was excellent and I recommend roti for lunch – best I’ve ever had. This is best for a one or two night stay, but I would find it difficult to spend more time in Galle or at the fort. We will definitely be returning, most likely next year on our way back from Amanwella.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor and had a beautiful terrace. It was beautiful but I expect all the roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed October 28, 2013

First things first....I did not stay here but visited the property and enjoyed the spa for a massage. So I cannot speak of the rooms. But what I can speak of is the lobby, the grounds and the spa which are just extraordinary. You must remember that this is Galle in Sri Lanka and this property has been around for quiet some time. Some people may have complaints but I could not find any fault with this place.

As soon as you arrive you are greeted by a drawing room type of a reception that reminds you of a scene from Downton Abby except that all the service personnel are Sri Lankan and have smiles from ear to ear. Kindness etched into their very fabrics.

The spa is in a long narrow space and you are received by someone whom looks like she just came from Mother Theresas convent in Calcutta. You know with the white sarees so well ironed and so well groomed?

If you have the where with all and wish to sample a day or two in Galle, then this is the place to stay. Galle is slowly but surely gentrifying and i do see the day when it looses its current old world charm and becomes something a bit more akin to having being spoilt by outside influences.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jjy88sm
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a great 2 night stay. It was our last leg of our trip and I sincerely regret not staying longer. Stay made me a true Aman junkie. The service was so effortless and came naturally to all team members, true sign of a proper hospitality which makes to crave for more.
My sincere praise for Nallin who was our butler. Thank you Aman for making our holiday a perfect one. We will come back again.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Calvinhobbes10
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Exceptional in every way. A wonderfully elegant hotel with every facility you could wish for. The room was beautiful, pool and spa facilities were spotless and the staff could not have been more helpful providing faultless service at every turn. No televisions in sight (but one could be found in a hidden location) and an interesting library well worth browsing.
Great location for touring and watching cricket (if you're lucky with timing).

Room Tip: Stairs could be a challenge for some.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSB462
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Amangalla is an exceptional hotel. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty on the very small details and our butler, Yasith was really excellent attending to our every need.

We had the pool to ourselves and our room on the top floor was grand to put it mildly.

The price was eye watering but as they say, you only regret your economies and this wasn't one of them. Worth every penny.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moxo2020
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Jetwing Lighthouse
#14 of 23 in Galle
Amari Galle
Amari Galle
#8 of 23 in Galle

Been to Amangalla? Share your experiences!