“A beautiful historic haven”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Amangalla

and 1 more site!
Amangalla
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Bristol
“A beautiful historic haven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

To be honest I did think seriously about whether to write a Tripadvisor review for this hotel because it is quite in a league of its own.

The hotel oozes attentive service from the moment you step in the door. Nothing is too much, they are always attending to little points of detail, but very inobtrusively.

I think our rooms must have been in the Garden Wing - the moment you open the door, you get a wow feeling - everything looks perfect and is. We had balconies over the garden - very peaceful.

The pool is a good size, about 1.5m deep throughout, and has loungers and cabanas. The staff are again very attentive and helpful.

You can choose where you eat and the staff will set a table up for you. We ate in the restaurant for dinner, and by the pool for lunch. The food is exquisite, and again the service is excellent.

The manager introduced herself to us on her first day, and it's quite clear she gets to know the guests and has a keen eye for service and for detail.

We would go back to Amangalla at the drop of a hat. A wonderful experience

Room Tip: Garden wing is exquisite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BristolDanish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
woling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

This one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, the room was magnificent, staff incredibly attentive , and the food was excellent.

The seeting in the old town of Galle was a bonus allowing for easy walks at anytime of the day.

Local people very welcoming

Room Tip: Near the ppol
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robertsfc
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I promised myself I would only write a review if I had something extra to offer. However I keep finding myself telling people about this wonderful hotel.
I felt it was the best we stayed at in Sri Lanka.
We had a wonderful room, the staff were fantastic, we loved the Fort and had some of the best food here. I did the cooking course which was very enjoyable. The massage was perhaps a bit disappointing - but otherwise 10 out of 10 for everything.
Not much to add from previous reviews - just go and see for your self.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AussieAnge
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Experience could not have been better. Whole place to ourselves, staff available and willing to help wrap English women in saris for the wedding ceremony, and press clothes at last minute. Staff also dressed the garden trees and pool with lights, set out tables and food alongside the pool, and arranged for live music to play softly during the wedding dinner.

Comfortable room with enormous bathroom, no difficulty sleeping.

Great location inside Galle Fort made for easy sightseeing on foot within the Fort walls.

Would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Manda12
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the Amangalla as part of the 3 night Ayurveda package. This review should be prefaced with the fact that measured against, its peer hotels in the area, the Amangalla is certainly an excellent hotel. However, being a member of the Aman chain inherently raises our expectations for the experience and on that basis, we feel that the Amangalla does not reflect the best of what the Amans have to offer.

Starting off with the good, we arrived in Sri Lanka late at night and the airport pickup was heaven sent. We were met as soon as we got off the plane and were whisked through customs on an expedited basis. We were then able to rest in a lounge (complete with cold towels, food and snacks) while porters fetched our check-in luggage. Because it was in the middle of the night, when we boarded the van to go to the hotel, the van was filled with pillows so my wife and I could each recline across a row of seats and get a few hours of sleep on the way to the hotel. This airport pickup was one of the best that we have experienced and made for a pleasant start to our trip.

Some of the highlights during our stay were the treatments we received as part of the Ayurveda package. The staff at the spa go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy the experience and constantly impressed us with their kindness. In particular, the third eye oil massage that we received at the beginning of the trip stood out as an amazing experience.

However, aside from the staff at the spa, our experience at the hotel was a bit disappointing. Again, because it was an Aman, we arrived with heightened expectations. However, we feel that many of the personal touches that make other Amans so special were missing at this hotel. For example, while a butler is assigned to each room, for the duration of our stay, we were never sure who exactly our butler was. While we were always able to stop and ask someone for help or assistance, it would have been more comfortable for us had we gotten to know our assigned butler.

Likewise, for our excursions, the guides were also knowledgeable and professional, however, our excursions also lacked the personal touches that made experiences in other Amans special. These complaints are certainly at the edge of what can be expected in terms of service at a hotel. However, we come to Amans almost expecting our expectations to be exceeded, and that was not the case at the Amangalla.

In the end, we are glad that we went on the trip because the Ayurveda experience was enlightening and Galle was an interesting city to see. However, we would likely revisit other Amans before we revisit Amangalla.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheManT
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Although we didn't stay here, we had a cool beer here most lunchtimes during England's tour of Sri Lanka and were made very welcome. On our last night we had dinner here - the Sri Lankan curry which was absolutely divine! The staff serve the different dishes to you serenely and explain what everything is whilst presenting it beautifully on your plate. Some of the dishes were quite spicy but others suited a milder palate! A great choice of different meat and vegetarian dishes - the best meal I had in my two weeks in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nikki H
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I decided to have my last lunch in Sri Lanka before I headed back to India, at the Amangalla.
I'd been here the previous year for drinks but hadnt dined here - so was looking forward to the dining experience.
I was adament to have Lankan food but unfortunately the selection for vegetarians was limited. I opted for a detox lunch. Something that came with a juice and curries which had propoerties to give the body a boost.
In a nutshell, the food was bland, didnt have a kick and the rice was bleurgh,
I left disappointed because i was expecting sensational Sri Lankan meal but instead got a poor imitation.

Of course, next time I am in Galle, I'll be back at the Amangalla because they are one of the few places that do good white wine.
But not to dine. I'll take the advice of the locals and go to the places where the locals eat if I want authentic Sri Lankan food.

Can't fault the service, my waiter was very attentive

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NellBelle740
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Galle Fort Hotel
#1 of 12 in Weligama
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
#2 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Amangalla? Share your experiences!