“Fantastic little boutique hotel with beautiful rooms and a throwback in time”
Review of The Sun House

The Sun House
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Great little hotel with several beautiful rooms done up in a colonial style with quirks from decades ago; however fully fitted with modern facilities. Staff was super helpful and food is great - try the sun house eggs amazing! We were upgraded for free to a cute suite with four poster bed which my bf loved!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kuh_sg
There are newer reviews for The Sun House

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel definitely has history and character and restored to maintain its charm. The grounds are rustic and the location is great -10min walk from the fort and not too 'off-the-beaten' track. Staff is an issue here though- at every turn we felt pressured to leave a tip. We would be told by different staff on how much trouble it took to prepare our drink or dinner or how special our serving sizes were and even what time they were going off duty so we could tip before the end of their shift, There are a lot of staff here so I don't expect to keep track of who does what. The hotel isn't cheap so I don't expect standard services to be rewarded with a tip or obliged to give one. We never encountered this at other boutique hotels in Sri Lanka so I doubt this is the norm. In any case, the price of this hotel demands a certain level of professionalism from its staff. Not the most genuine service you will find in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Check no spiders in your room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raven678
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Along with The Dutch House and Taprobane Island, the Sun House is an absolute delight. An unpretentious place but not without genuine character and personality to rest and escape from the city life. A team of lovely and attentive staff made me felt right at home. A perfect place for someone looking for a place to call home over a hotel on their travels. One friendly warning make sure you pre order the Sri Lankan breakfast of string hoppers and local home made continents and curry the night before or you ll be disappointed like me on my second morning after I had tasted how delicious it was on the first. Another highly recommended breakfast dish to try is their scrambled eggs bharji or the poached eggs with delicious leeks and spinach. Make sure you also try their curd and treacle which is probably one of the best I have ever tasted!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had an excellent stay at The Sun House. I like the fact that it's away from the quite touristy Fort area (about a fifteen-minute walk, I'd say) and it's in a very quiet and secluded part of town.

We had a standard room that opened out on to the main veranda. Whilst a bit small, both my wife and I loved the quirky and homely decoration. A thermos of cold water was provided, along with mosquito spray, incense, maps and various magazines to read. Nice touches all. The shower set up was a bit strange though, and often the whole bathroom got quite wet. Something for management to look at maybe.

We had dinner one evening which was fine (the prawn starter was especially good), but not amazing. I also felt that cocktails were a little overpriced at 800LKR++. Breakfast was excellent, and I loved the fresh coffee, fruit salad and chilli eggs!

The staff were very friendly and were willing to talk or leave you alone, depending on your preference. I sometimes think that service was just a bit too casual though, though perhaps that is part of this place's charm.

Overall, I don't think you'll regret choosing The Sun House!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I chose to spend my 40th birthday at the Sun House during a two week trip to Sri Lanka. I had come across the Cinnamon Suite in a travel magazine, and I fell in love with the idea of passing a milestone in a big, colonial house with an outdoor bath tub!

The location of the Sun House is perfect: it's out of the noise and traffic of Galle but within a 10 minute walk to the Fort. It is in a quiet neighborhood, and it's hilltop location means that it gets some lovely breezes in the afternoons.

The hotel itself is a beautiful, old building with lots of charm and character. But with "old" come some slight nuisances: no air conditioning, geckos, and banging shutters on a windy night. But on the whole, this is a relaxing place to spend a few days while in Galle. If you can book it, definitely get the Cinnamon Suite...it's what takes this hotel from nice to memorable. The suite has such a charm to it, and we absolutely loved the whole feel of the place. The sitting room was full of really interesting books, and it was the perfect place to have (many) excellent gin and tonics before dinner. The bedroom was large and airy and equipped with a very good fan to keep cool at night. The bedroom had twin sinks, so there was plenty of space to keep all of your toiletries. And the bathroom was the best: a great shower right next to French doors so that you feel as if you are outside but have absolute privacy. And definitely take advantage of the outdoor bathtub at night!

The pool area was good only for a quick dip to cool off: the garden can be a bit buggy, and there is no real breeze to speak of. Also, it needs to be cleaned more often throughout the day as leaves and plant material can make the pool feel/look very dirty.

The food at the hotel was good but not great. The menu is limited, and non-fish eaters may get bored with the chicken option. Breakfast was very good, both Sri Lankan and Western options.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment in an overall very good stay was that the management was not more helpful when my husband got in contact with them via email regarding my birthday. I had booked the room, but he emailed a few weeks before our arrival to try and arrange something special for my 40th. The management's only suggestion was to attempt to move us across the street to their sister property, The Dutch House. No other attempt was made to acknowledge that we were spending a special day at the Sun House. It's just a bit of a shame, and overall our impression was that the management of the property was perhaps a bit too relaxed.

Room Tip: Get the Cinnamon Suite!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014

From beginning to end it was perfect! The staff, so helpful and pleasant. The location, perfect for seeing Galle. The history of the home with all of the memorabilia, so interesting. The meals were Excellent!! Really gourmet. Our breakfasts (that were included) were made to order, couldn't have been better. And the rooms had everything to make our stay perfect. As I said, it was so very hard to leave. If I ever get back to Sri Lanka it will definitely be at the top of my list for places to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sun House. I felt immediately at home and comfortable there. There is a beautiful sitting room full of all sorts of quirky things, as well as books and games you are free to borrow. It is near enough to Galle Fort to stroll down, but equally easy to get a tuk tuk back up the hill and lovely to be out of the hustle and bustle.

The staff are welcoming and helpful and the food was delicious. The house margarita is not to be missed and the bar delightful.

We had the deluxe room at the far end of the side garden with a beautiful bathroom and an open air shower and the room was full of homely touches. There is a generous and trusting spirit to the whole place, I loved it and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple