“Beautiful Beach”
Review of Jetwing Lighthouse

Jetwing Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed 3 times in Lighthouse and it is one of my favorite hotels. The reservation has been made by our organization and I used to check-in after 7pm to the hotel due to my travel. The staff understand our long journey and they never put us waiting and whenever we go the room keys are ready to check-in. I had an opportunity to stay sea view room and pool view room as well as both where you can see the pool and the beach.
Rooms are so spacious and clean. I’m a big fan of JETWING HOTELS “HANSA” coffee and used to ask the room service to refill the tea making items to take an extra coffee before I check-out. :)
Love the restaurant view. I think this is the only one place where you can directly get the sea view very closer. You can go to beach and walk through the rocks and enjoy small fish and birds.
Enjoy you stay …

Room Tip: Get the sea view rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that we are your favorite Hotel and that you have stayed here so many times. Also that you took the time to send us your feedback.
I will also be passing along your compliments along to the entire team .At Jetwing we always try to use local products and Hansa coffee is grown and produced in Sri Lanka and I am glad you enjoy drinking it.I am sure everybody here at Jetwing Lighthouse looks forward to welcoming you back again, thank you again for this wonderful review.

Robert Claesson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked this hotel for my parents and family whilst they visited Sri Lanka. It did not disappoint. Having stayed here before I knew the quality was high and nothing had changed in that respect. The rooms were lovely - spacious, comfortable and amazing views. The staff could not be more helpful and the general way in which the hotel is run ensures a relaxed and enjoyable holiday. The food is also top quality and the fine dining experience in the French restaurant was certainly a highlight and excellent value compared to similar restaurants in the UK.

However, a real disappointment was the transport arranged by the hotel for the journey back to Colombo. The fee of 12500 rupees was more expensive than the Kangaroo taxi firm in Colombo (9000 rupees) but it is not about the money. The quality of the transport was appalling. The van used to pick up would not have been out of place transporting livestock. The air conditioning did not work, the van was not clean and appeared to have been manufactured when my father was a small boy. This was a real disappointment from such a reputable tourism company. I think the sooner Jetwing realise that a tourists experience does not stop the second they leave the hotel the better their hotel will become.

The only other complaint was that at the time of going to this hotel there was building work being undertaken which was not a problem in the slightest other than the larger pool was not clean due to building dust and such. Not so much of a problem though as the smaller pool was clean as a whistle.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LankaManc

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments to Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for rating the food and our team here highly; they are two aspects of Jetwing Lighthouse that are highly complimented by most of our guests. I also did take to heart about the issue with transport and I have taken action against it so that it will not be repeated , and I cannot tell you how much your valuable comments will contribute towards the success of this property.

It was our pleasure having you with us, and we do hope to see you back at Jetwing Lighthouse in the near future and hopefully you can try our new rooms which will be completed in December.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is something else. My main attraction was to stay there as it is designed by the legendary architect Geoffery Bawa. I was very excited about staying here. To say that the hotel is superb is underestimating. The views are amazing, and the rooms are great. All come with their own private balconies. The property has two huge pools, the best views that one can ask for.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anubhav N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on tripadvisor. Jetwing Lighthouse Hotel was indeed designed by the legendary architect Geoffrey Bawa. The architecture itself is muted but offers subtle memories of Moorish palaces, ocean liners and colonial villas!! The terrace, ideal to watch a perfect sunset and also the relentless crashing of the waves provides tranquil music to the soothing traveler! Thank you once again for spending your vacation time with us and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Jetwing Lighthouse.

Ayubowan

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Galle has a remarkable history which extends to ancient times. The Galle Fort was built initially by the Portuguese and then by the Dutch East India Company (VOC). The financing techniques and legal doctrines developed by the VOC basically created the modern commercial world- the world’s first `stock exchange’ was created in Amsterdam to enable trading in VOC shares. The VOC was one of the pioneers of the globalized world we live in. It is the unique achievement of the Lighthouse Hotel that it evokes so effectively that rich and complex history of trade, colonialism and conquest, largely due to Geoffrey Bawa’s superb architecture and Laki Senanayake’s striking sculpture.

On this occasion I was especially impressed by the professionalism of the staff members I dealt with Ms Dersika, MsThilini and Mr Manoj. They made it clear to me that repair work was being done in the hotel and that I might be disturbed if I wanted to stay in the Fa Hsien suite which has been nicely refurbished. They also offered me a discount. I took the risk, because of the stunning views from that room of the surging seas below–I’d be happy to spend the entire day on the balcony- and because I thought I could take refuge if needed in some other part of the hotel, the lower pool or the spa, or the upper terrace next to the bar, all pleasant areas. The disturbance proved to be minimal, but I appreciated the honesty of the staff and their concern to be open about the situation. Further they explained what I thought were discrepancies in my bill clearly and politely, and I realized that I had been mistaken and they were right.

Mr Chamila, the butler, was superb, both unobtrusive and yet unfailingly helpful when needed. He also found my iPod which I had left behind and which was kept safely for me until I retrieved it. He is a huge asset to the hotel because he monitors guest needs and quickly remedies any failings of the other staff, some of whom seem new.

The transport services provided by the hotel are expensive. I wish I had negotiated with the tuk-tuk drivers outside the hotel, specifying what sort of vehicle I wanted-they could organize air conditioned cars if needed. Car services offered in the Fort also seem cheaper.

The rice and curry with crab is a bargain at less than Rs. 1000.

Joining the people of Galle on a stroll at sunset on the ramparts of the Fort is a memorable experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on Trip Advisor and not only about the hotel for the benefit of all visitors to Galle. As the General Manager here at Jetwing Lighthouse, nothing pleases me more than hearing comments such as yours. Feedback is truly valued here and used to develop ourselves further. I am extremely glad you had a great time at Jetwing Lighthouse, and I am happy the team here was able to match your expectations and cater to your needs. The personnel at a property make a huge difference and we know the importance of training and development to reach higher levels.You mentioned so many staff that you were impressed with and especially Chamila I will definitely pass your compliments on to them.
We have also made it extremely clear that we do not want any of our guests being disturbed during the process of putting up the new wing of rooms and I'm glad you were not so much bothered with it..

I do hope you will come back to this beautiful Island and if so I look forward to seeing you again at Jetwing Lighthouse.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Reviews were great and expectations were high when we selected this hotel for a weekend stay for a family of 4. Booked 2 Deluxe double rooms. (room nos 217, 218)

The welcome was good with a quick check in, warm scented towels and choice of welcome drink.

The rooms have ample space and nice comfy beds with lots of pillows. The washroom was huge and all little amenities were provided ie. shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap, shower caps, slippers, bathrobes, iron, iron board, safety locker, mini bar, LED Tv with cable channels etc.

The huge issue comes when you open the windows and the door to the private (not so private) balcony. Since room is dimly lit you do need to open the window to get some sunlight in. unfortunately the windows and balcony opens straight in front of the pool. Unless you dont mind the swimmers looking into your room or you gazing at them it felt quite uncomfortable and we had our balcony door and windows closed. 4th floor rooms are better since the swimmers dont get to see you!

The balconies were not so private once again since the next door balconies are very clearly visible as the rooms are close to each other. And trust me you hardly get any view of the sea from rooms 200-220 area.

Disappointed with the above room setup.

Food was buffet spread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner on Saturday night was a BBQ theme. Dont expect to enjoy if you are not a BBQ fan as there was not much of a selection otherwise. I have seen better buffet spreads at Cinnamon Hotels.

Breakfast was quite good with a more Sri Lankan spread and lunch was Ok. The selection of desserts was pretty good in all 3 meals.

There are 2 large pools. The one in front of our room was always slightly crowded but the other one a bit far off in the garden area was mostly isolated. The garden area is fantastic to have a quiet sun bath and sea bath!

The Hotel lounge area opens up to the sea covered by rocks. This is again a fantastic spot to unwind and watch the sea waves crash and enjoy the breeze.

The hotel staff was very friendly, non intrusive yet very helpful when needed.

Didnt use the spa or gym facilities to comment.

Overall had a nice stay apart from the noisy neighbors and the room view.

Room Tip: Rooms on 4th floor gives you sea views and bit more privacy than 2nd and 3rd floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dayanga10
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read that you overall had a nice stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. The entire team here believe in providing the best of everything we can to every guest who walks through our doors . I will pass on your comment to Chef about the food and see if we can add some more dishes on our barbeque nights.
We are glad you chose us, and thank you for staying with us.
Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance your may think I could be of while booking your next stay with us and I will make sure you will have rooms allocated on the 4th floor.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

In the heart of Galle, this wonderful five star hotel stands out best for its luxury and comforts. The hotel is well maintained and the garden is lovely. The Cardamom Cafe restaurant which stands by the sea is amazing and I had wonderful sea food there. The atmosphere of this restaurant is super where you will be amazed with the wonderful views of the sea. The three theme suits are a very special feature in this hotel and even though we didnt stay in them, the staff were nice enough to show us around as they were not occupied. The food is nice and the staff is friendly. This is an ideal location for a relaxing stay or a honeymoon. Recommend this highly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor following your stay with us in October last year.I am glad you found the food wonderful as our chef and his team make every effort in make the meals an memorable experience as we do realize that on a holiday it is so important. We thank you once again for taking time to post your comment. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of any service in the future for you if you plan to visit Sri Lanka as Jetwing have many excellent Hotels around this beautiful country.

Ayubowan

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The rooms are absolutely beautiful, and the most comfortable beds. The room is done up so nicely, with handmade soaps, and during tea time, someone comes around offering you tea and cookies.

Each room comes with a balcony with lounge chairs. It also has a nice view of the pool, just lovely for reading a book and watching the sunset with the sound of waves crashing near by.

The breakfast there is delicious. It is buffet, so the selection is great - with a selection of healthy food and savoury foods. They fry your bacon and sausage fresh on the spot!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Amari Galle
#4 of 25 in Galle
Thaproban Beach House
Thaproban Beach House
#4 of 33 in Unawatuna

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!