“Another reason for returning to Sri Lanka - again!”
Review of Jetwing Lighthouse

Jetwing Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I am writing this review on the penultimate day of our 7-night stay at the Lighthouse. This is our third trip to Sri Lanka in the space of just over 2 years. Last week, as we motored from place to place, we told ourselves this should be it. We really must go somewhere else next time. But after a week at the Lighthouse, we are sorely tempted to return yet again. Why? Well, the iconic design of this landmark Geoffrey Bawa building, with its varied concrete textures tempered by colonial wooden warmth; the position on a rocky promontory, bashed by the waves of the wild ocean; the view back to Galle Fort, which (while so pricey now) is still so unique and alluring and a mere 10-minute drive away; the wonderful staff, taking typical Sri Lanka hospitality and service to a new level… The service is great and personal. 2 examples. We met some people in Sigirya, who turned out to be finishing their holiday with a couple of nights here. We informed the front desk, who immediately made sure these people were given the room right next door to ours. Early on we identified a room right at the end of our corridor on the 4th floor, which is designed slightly differently from the others - bordered by a right-angle of balcony with an unimpeded sunset views. Within 5 minutes of requesting a transfer to this room, we were given it for the last 2 nights of our stay. No problem. No request undealt with. Another great touch was a cocktail party on our 3rd night, hosted by the General Manager for longer-stay guests - chic canapés and good drinks on a beautiful terrace. The breakfast buffet is great, but the food, while on the face of it creative and well presented, verges sometimes on the bland. But that is the sole criticism. We will, I'm afraid, be back!

Room Tip: Room 423 is THE room. See the review. Giant windows and wonderful views. (But all the rooms are smar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was an absolute pleasure reading your review on the Jetwing Lighthouse here in Galle, Sri Lanka. It is always a pleasure reading reviews from guests who have had amazing stays with us. At Jetwing Lighthouse we take pride in making every one of our guests happy, and the entire team here dedicate all their effort towards this purpose.

The property itself is a very unique design and has become one of the most iconic properties in the South of Sri Lanka. The property is located right now the beach and the sound of the waves crashing in to the rocks seem to follow you everywhere you go, and that is one of the best features of the stunning Geoffrey Bawa design.

Along with our attention to guest requests, we take pride in service as well maintaining the highest standards and that reflects well in your comments. I will also be passing on the compliments and positive feedback to all our associates.

While taking the opportunity to thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor, I would also like to invite your back to the Jetwing Lighthouse on behalf of the entire team here. We will be looking forward to seeing you back in Galle.

There are newer reviews for Jetwing Lighthouse

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for several nights with a teenager in a wheelchair sharing one room. The room was a good size with firm beds including the extra one. The wet room was tight but accessible (it's separate from the bath area and the toilet) although no shower seat. The toilet would be similarly tight for someone larger who had to transfer from a wheelchair but fine for our child.The room opened onto a verandah with just a slight lip going out. One swimming pool was very accessible, being an infinity pool from the inside but on the outer edge it was like a low seat so made transferring into/from a wheelchair fairly easy. I am always puzzled here as to why no one makes more of an effort to adapt a room - this place has such a large bathroom area it could be made into a single wetroom very easily - but this was much better than we could have expected. More generally, we have really enjoyed the breakfasts, the only meals we've actually eaten in. More importantly, the staff have been brilliant. An example was us asking last night where the carrom board was. It turned out it was in the upstairs bar but the pieces couldn't be located. Today a new set of pieces were ordered and left at reception for us to collect in time for this evening! Staff were also really helpful in trying to resolve online check in problems for us today. We would strongly recommend this place to anyone coming to Galle. It may not be in the town but it has a lot of advantages and is very close by tuk-tuk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am pleased you were able to enjoy your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse; it was our pleasure to have you with us. I am extremely happy you took the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. Guest feedback is considered extremely important as it is them we all work hard to satisfy.
I will look in to your comments about doing some rooms more accessible for wheelchair users as it is a very valid point you brought up.

I am also extremely please that you find all staff brilliant as this is so important for me as it makes such a difference in a Hotel.

Thank you for your review once again, and I do hope to see you back at Jetwing Lighthouse in the near future.

General Manger.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Hotel is well situated along a stunning coastline. While it's generally too dangerous to swim here the surrounding area is beautiful. Staff at the hotel were very good. We stayed in a suit and we were always kept informed of who was looking after our room. The room boys always asked us if everything was OK and offered friendly advice. Service was natural and unimposing and efficient. Our suit was lovely and spacious but perhaps needed a bit of maintenance or updating in bathroom area. The journey to Galle was just 5 mins by tuk tuk. Overall this was a very good hotel but if you're used to five stars in Asia you may need to modify your expectations a bit. Watch out for the very friendly monitor lizard who comes up to your sunlounger!

Room Tip: Suites were well priced. We stopped in Speilbergen suite which had a lovely view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Jetwing Lighthouse. As a team, we work hard to provide all our guests with best possible services and facilities, and it is a great reward to hear that guests are actually enjoying all the hard work the team puts in to making the Jetwing Lighthouse special.Many guest comments about the monitor lizard as it adds to a unique pool experience .
I am pleased to inform you that the suite is due to be refurbished next month and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Jetwing Lighthouse and experience it again if your travels do bring you to this part of the world.
I also want to thank you for leaving your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent 2 days of our Honeymoon here in early April 2013. It turned out to be a rather stressful stay in some ways. I shall elaborate these as well as set out the pros and cons in general.

Our experience:

The room they provided was apparently a honeymoon room on the 4th floor with a great view. Unfortunately the air conditioning in this room was very poor and we felt the heat immediately. After many phone calls and number of visits by engineers, we were offered a different room on the same floor. However, this room had twin beds and it put us off straight away. At this point the front office manager failed to point out that the bed can be converted to a king size and we also made the mistake of not requesting for this. This in hindsight was a mistake on our part but felt the front office manager Manjula/ Manoj should have explained this better. We decided to stick with the original room allocation hoping that the air conditioning will improve as the sun goes down.

It was 8pm, and it just got worse and me and my wife didn't want to go through the night without a proper air condition. So we spoke to the front office again and they agreed to move us to another room in the same floor and I made it very clear that we need a king size bed.

Given all the issues with our room, we were invited to a complementary cocktail that was hosted by the GM, a Swedish chap, on that day. We were surprised that he didn't even apologise or feel concerned about the inconvenience we had experienced earlier in the day - and we knew he was aware of the situation.It was very poor in his part, instead he was more keen for us to decide on the cocktails. So we didn't really have a reason to be there, so we left quickly for dinner.

The new room was ready soon as we finished our dinner and we had to pack and move. Yes, it wasn't a great start to our stay....

The new room initially proved to have a decent level of cooling but we realised later the cooling was still on the weak side. This may be partly due to the hot season in Sri Lanka but for a 5 start property this was not good enough. I think in general, based on our experience the air conditioning was a bit weak on the rooms they offered us.

The check out was a little awkward too. This guy Sanjeewa probably had a bad night of sleep, he failed to say a word. I think it is important to seek feedback from the guests and ensure a more friendly check out.

Ok let me put down the pros and cons in general.

Pros
1.Service in the restaurant is good but feel there is one too many staff making it a little bit overcrowded and in the face type of environment.
2. There are some good views from the hotel
3. Food choice is reasonable and meets decent standards
4. Two pools offers plenty of choice
5. Located very near to Galle town

Cons
1. The property is a tad tired , especially the rooms in need of refurbishment. Talking to the GM this is due this year.
2. The Spa environment needs to be improved so that it feels like a spa. I had treatment from a therapist called Prasanna. I thought he lacked consistency and overall the treatment was poor. He didn't even stick to the full 60min, finished 5minutes early. On the other hand, my wife had treatment from Samanthi and she was very satisfied with her skills. So try to request her if you want to try a massage and you are a female ofcourse!
4. Front office desk service is poor. They let us down twice. We asked for a pair of scissors at least twice and was promised it will be sent to the room and it never got there (this was the dark chap who was in charge in the morning). We also asked for rates to book a vehicle through hotel and they said they will get back to us but they never did. And as i mentioned earlier, the check out ( and check in) was very ordinary.
5. It seems the staff doesn't follow proper procedures when a new guest is checked into a room - for example they should have checked the A/C was working and lockers were working prior to handing over the keys. When we entered the room it was very warm and we had problems with our locker in the second room they offered us.

In summary, this property has a few issues to sort out before they can consider them a true 5 star property. GM needs to be more concerned about the guests and take incidents/experiences such as ours more seriously.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KK_SAM999
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the times to share your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Jetwing Lighthouse in Galle Sri Lanka.
I am so sorry to hear of the issues that you encountered during your stay and thank you for your constructive feedback. I will discuss each point in detail with respective department as I do take all customer feedback seriously.It is correct that I was aware of the aircondition issue but was informed it was rectified . When I met you at the cocktail and was introduced to you both by Manoj I did apologize to you and offered you drinks as we were closing down the cocktail reception at 8pm.. I can only apoligise again that you felt I did not take complains seriously. It is only with detailed comments like yours we can improve our services and for that I am grateful for your detailed remarks. It is correct that we will start refurbishment of bedrooms next month We hope that a lot of our current maintenance issues especially the air-condition in the rooms you stayed in will be addressed during that time.

I would be pleased to assist you in booking Jetwing Lighthouse in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future. Again, please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and I trust you will forgive us and give us a second chance.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Galle was our first stop of a 3 week trip around Sri Lanka. We stayed 3 nights in the Lighthouse and we absolutely enjoyed every minute of our stay here. The standard rooms are very spacious and luxurious (in other hotels this would at least compare to a superior room) and the room service is fantastic (up to a little sweet cookie you receive every night). The location is stunning and we so enjoyed our dinners outside on the terrace, with the sound of the waves breaking on the rocks in the background. We can recommend the buffet with plenty of choice for every taste (I especially enjoyed the BBQ night with an abundance of seafood to choose from, grilled upon request and at your likes) or the restaurant upstairs for a more intimate dinner. The staff is genuinely friendly, a joy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Jetwing Lighthouse private bungallows during Christmas of 2012. We had originally planned to stay only for 2 nights, but needed to stay in Galle longer due to heavy raings up country. Lucky for us, it was an amazing stay and one of the reasons we really feel that we want to come back to Sri Lanka. During our stay we were treated like royalty by the amazing staff. There was no request that was too trivial or big to take care of, always with a smile. But we also had a lot of laughs together and it was a really friendly atmosphere. When we finally had too leave, in the middle of the night in order to reach one of the national parks by dawn, we asked the chef if he could prepare some sandwiches for us to take with us. We really tried to pursuade him to prepare these during the evening and then go home to sleep. But he wouldn't have it, and went up in the middle of the night to prepare our food and see us off! A lovely place that I would recommend anyone who wouldn't mind a bit of paradise. It is located a 5 min tuk tuk ride from Galle centre but in the middle of the forrest with lots of wild animals on the grounds. We had our private pool and private area for relaxing and sunbathing and a beautiful view of the surroundings from the house.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emelie e

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on tripadvisor as we rely heavily on them to gauge guest satisfaction and to determine in what areas we need to improve.
It is truly fulfilling to hear that you had an amazing time with us and I shall personally commend the staff next time a meet them. Kurulubedda is our hidden gem and it is always nice when a guest truly appreciates the wonders of Sri Lanka’s amazing lower wetlands.
For your next stay, I would also like to recommend Era Beach, a small eight room boutique hotel and the latest addition to The Lighthouse family. It is situated twenty minutes East of The Lighthouse and like Kurulubedda, offers a truly unique experience.

We do look forward to having you again in the near future.

General Manager.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Once one has gotten up the stairs, the hotel opens up to an unexpected pleasant surprise. Spacious, elegant and warm, inviting and breezy, it enhances a good feeling and after a long drive from Yala, we were led to one of the loveliest spacious room with an outstanding view.

It was a pleasure to stay here because the added values came with the dinner, the service, hospitality and genuine feeling of being welcomed.

Our stay despite it being short was that if and when we come back to Galle, this place will have our patronage.

Thank You.

Room Tip: Take one of the upper floor rooms to enjoy the breathtaking atmosphere.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shee_anthony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Era Beach by Jetwing
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Niyagama House
Niyagama House
#4 of 23 in Galle

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!