“stunning views”
Review of Jetwing Lighthouse

Jetwing Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed here many times. The hotel has stunning views and is nicely designed. The rooms have sea views. They have two pools. The buffet is great and offers a lot of variety and the seafood selection is good. They also offer good service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nomad007700
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your simple and meaningful review on Trip Advisor. As the General Manager here at Jetwing Lighthouse it is always good to see guests returning back and I want to thank you for choosing us over the views. Many things keep changing, but the most stunning views of the Indian Ocean will always remain.

We look forward to having you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Jetwing Lighthouse

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in January and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were very comfortable. Food served in the restaurant, either from the buffet or menu, was excellent, as was the breakfast. We enjoyed swimming in both the large pools, but perhaps the one downside of this hotel is that you cannot swim from the beach beside the hotel. Easy to take a taxi from the hotel to nearby beaches or to Galle and visit the old fortress town. We hope we can return one day!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dhood52

Dear Guest,

I am extremely pleased you were able to enjoy your recent stay at Jetwing Lighthouse, in Southern Sri Lanka. At Jetwing Lighthouse, we believe in providing a guest with the best of services and facilities and we sincerely like to see all our guests enjoy themselves. I am glad you were able to take some time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

It was our pleasure having you with us, and we do sincerely hope that you return in the future.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Jetwing offers drama as soon as you enter the place, the entrance is quite dramatic and as soon you enter you are taken aback by the great view of the ocean. I just wanted to sit as soon as I entered, and I did. Rooms were very nice, good amenities and spacious. The only thing lacking in the hotel is good room service, food is fantastic but response, nobody picked up our phone, and that happened thrice. And funnily once we ordered Tomato Soup and someone got tomato ketchup to our room. But that was the only drawback .... their breakfast buffets were fantastic, I personally loved the way their jams were presented, Breads were good. I also liked the fact that they had a separate menu for kids. They can touch up their housekeeping services a bit. It was inconsistent. But overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms !!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Jetwing Lighthouse for 4 nights over the New Year. This is a fairly solid mid-class family hotel but it is not a luxury resort by any stretch. The peak holiday rates ($500/night) were way too high and we received no value for our money. We booked this trip relatively last-minute and knew we were overpaying, but it was either that or a backpacker type guest house, so we made our choice. Still, we’d hoped for just a little bit more.

We arrived at 1 pm, after a 3-hour drive from the airport in Colombo. Transfer was booked through the hotel and was smooth. Registration took place at a table in the terrace lounge area. No welcome drink; instead we were asked if we’d like to order anything and then asked for our room number for the charge. The woman from reservations who I’d emailed several times did come out to introduce herself, which was nice. We asked about booking excursions – we’d tried to do so in advance but were told to do it on arrival – and were told the naturalist was away until evening.

So now we were shown to the room, which was up two flights of stairs. Quite large but also dark, since the terrace doors are wood rather than glass. Room was not unattractive but was quite spartan; again, definitely not a luxury property. The ocean view from the terrace was pretty. In the bathroom the toilet and shower are set apart from the tub and vanity area, but separated only by partial-height glass doors, so no privacy; for this you have to shut the heavy wood sliding door that seals off the entire bathroom area - and that heavy wood door is pretty hard to shut.

Although I’d told reservations that our arrival day was my husband’s birthday, there was absolutely no acknowledgement from the hotel. I hadn’t expected the world, maybe just a little handwritten note with a tray of cookies or even fruit? The class of hotel we’re accustomed to staying at would have made some nice gesture, but nothing from Jetwing.

We waited a few minutes for our bags, then gave up and went down to lunch. Quite nice for a mass-produced buffet and the staff in the restaurant, if not always quick and attentive, was good natured and helpful. Back to our room – still no bags – and then off to the spa for Thai massages. They were good, but started 30 minutes late and the hotel had only booked us for 60 minutes rather than the 90 we requested.

On the way to the spa we passed the two pools. The first pool was full of children and the parents sat in the bar next to it. The second pool was in the middle of a lawn just before the spa, which is at the edge of the property. We passed it a few times during our stay but never saw anyone in it. Although the Jetwing is right on the water there is no swimming beach.

Back at our room after the massage we needed to shower and dress for a dinner reservation…but still no bags! This was 3+ hours after we'd checked in. Went down to the lobby and, after a few calls, they located our luggage. While waiting, we were finally able to speak to the naturalist and organize excursions.

We had dinner that night at the Amangalla hotel in the Fort. There was a mixup with the time and we had to eat an hour later than reserved. That aside, the lobby/bar and restaurant are lovely, the food and service were very good, and they brought my husband a beautiful little birthday cake, complete with candles and singing. We went to the Fort a couple more times during our stay – it has some great old architecture and is where Galle's tourist restaurants and shops are located. The shopping is not great, though – not like Chiang Mai, Thailand or Ubud, Bali.

The next night was New Year's Eve, and we were required to pay $150 each for the hotel's dinner and party. It didn't start until 8 pm and we only lasted 2 hours because were were so jetlagged. There was a huge indoor/outdoor buffet as well as indoor and outdoor seating, and the tables were decorated with hats, party poppers, etc. It was casual and family-oriented, not high-end, but they made a good effort and the staff were very nice. Not sure exactly what happened at midnight, but we were jolted from sleep by many firecrackers, so there was obviously some sort of show, hopefully impressive!

We were able to go on two excursions during our stay. Before I describe them I'll note that, getting up early for an excursion, you'll find no hot water for your shower. The hotel only turns the hot water on later in the morning. This is completely unacceptable.

The first excursion was the whale watching at Mirissa. We followed two different blue whales and saw them surface several times, so that was good. We wanted to get in the water for a snorkel and a better look, though, as we've done with whales in other locations. Or at least we wanted to be in a much smaller boat, one where we could dunk our arms/underwater cameras into the water and try to get better shots. We actually arranged with the naturalist to do this two days later, but weren't able to go (more on this to come).

The next day we went to Yala National Park and that was a really good day out. It was just my husband and I and the driver, who was knowledgeable and engaging. I'd been hesitant about the ~3 hour drive, but on the way there was stopped at some great places. Two were on the itinerary: a turtle hatchery and a lighthouse that is the southernmost point in Sri Lanka. But our guide stopped other places for us, too: along the coast to take photos of traditional fishermen, at some beautiful Buddhist temples, and for a couple of breaks at local snack bars. Enjoyed the drive very much!

At the park we transferred to a jeep with a park guide. We thought our chances of seeing Yala's famous leopards were slim, but we saw two! Also crocodiles, monkeys, water buffalo, wild boars, spotted deer, and loads of beautiful birds. Saw a couple of elephants as well, but only at a distance. We didn't mind too much since we were supposed to go to the park with more elephants two days later. Overall we loved Yala. Only caveat: the restaurant that they take you to for lunch on the way into the park is dreadful.

We slept for almost the entire drive home and thought it was just jetlag, but as it turned out it was the flu. We were largely confined to the hotel room for the next two days – my temperature was 102 F/39 C – and we missed our last two excursions (the private whale watching and the elephant park). The hotel sent a doctor pretty quickly when we called down for one. However, our attept at ordering some room service was a fiasco…2 hours later I had to re-place the order and then they finally rushed it up. Also, we sent some clothes out to be laundered the day before we left and they obviously washed the black and colored clothes together, ruining my pink t-shirt and coral cardigan. (We only noticed this after we'd left; we'd put the neatly folded laundry directly into our suitcases).

After two days we were thankfully well enough to drag ourselves to the airport for the next leg of our adventure; the transfer to Colombo again went smoothly and it was a bit faster on the way back (it was nighttime, so less traffic).

Overall we really liked Sri Lanka during the 2.5 days we were able to get out and enjoy it, but we would not stay at the Jetwing Lighthouse again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank frangipani7

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. It is disappointing to hear that the property did not match your expectations and you were not able to enjoy your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse.

It seems to me like issues have plagued your stay from start to end, and I am going personally look in to what exactly what went wrong during your stay. Some concerns you have like the welcome drinks and baggage not arriving in time have been addressed with the related personnel. It is surprising as it is not an area which we believe that work effectively. We assure you that this problem will not be faced by other guests who stay with us.

The New Years buffet was one of the biggest spreads Jetwing Lighthouse has seem since the opening, and it was an extremely successful celebration. We got many compliments for the variety and diverse range of food and action stations that were available. A number of guests also seemed to have enjoyed the live music, the band and the DJ who we specially organized for the New Year celebrations.

We do organize a range of excursions from the hotel, all managed by our resident Naturalist who is an expert on the field and is a huge value addition to any excursion. Whale watching is certainly one of the most exciting and most popular excursions during season, where a majestic Blue Whale is a common sight. We don’t allow snorkeling with these giants as we encourage minimal interference. I am also glad your trip to Yala was a success as not too many people are lucky enough to see two Leopards on their first trip in to the park.

I am also glad to hear that our staff responded efficiently to your calls for the doctor during your last few days with us, and I will pass on the compliments to the associates who handle those situations. I would also encourage you to come back to Jetwing Lighthouse, as we can clear all the doubts you have about the property can disappear if you give us the chance. Thank you for taking the time off to post a review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have gone for day trips to the Lighthouse as well as stayed overnight. All our experiences here have been good, the most recent one being 2 weeks ago. Last time we went, we just left Colombo at about 10.30 and reached just in time for lunch. The Southern Expressway makes it a really smooth ride. We were not harassed into having the buffet as is done in many hotels in Colombo. All the staff were really cordial and helpful. We went for a swim afterwards. There are 2 pools which is a real luxury. The water in the pool towards the beach was just fabulous and not chilly as is often the case. On the occasions in the past when we had stayed overnight, we had also been really happy with our stay and found the buffet and other services offered great. Love the zig zag walkway down to the beach. Bawa (the architect) at his best.

This is really the perfect getaway if you want time away from Colombo.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RAinColombo
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest to Jetwing Lighthouse. It is pleasing to hear that you are such a regular visitor to the property, whether it is for a night or even just for food. We value your feedback as you possibly have used a range of different services and facilities. I am glad even after all your visits that Jetwing Lighthouse is held in such high regard, and it shows me that we as a team are heading in the right direction.

I have no doubt that you will be in Galle and at Jetwing Lighthouse in the near future, and we will look forward to another visit from you.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The jetwing lighthouse is a very nice hotel, in all the areas very homely and comfortable style. You arrive and immediately feel comfortable. The staff are very friendly and always helpful. The hotel is relatively spacious and in good condition and a great place to stay.

The food is to all meal times excellent. Very good breakfast and evenings either a menu or buffet with lots of variety.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stevejass

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. I am extremely pleased to read that you had felt at home with us at Jetwing Lighthouse and that is how comfortable I want all of our guests to feel. Jetwing Lighthouse is ideal if you are looking to relax and unwind. All the facilities and great menu only compliment this, and I am glad you enjoyed our extensive range of food.

It was great to have you with us and we only hope that you will chose to return to Jetwing Lighthouse in the future for more great hospitality.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Lighthouse hotel is a very nice hotel. Very clean, great views and exceptional service. It has everything you need; great pool choices, especially if you like to swim laps, good gym, tennis and did I mention views?! I really enjoyed my stay here. That said, it's out of Galle Fort so, "things to do" require a tuk tuk or, a 3k walk to "town". I had dinner at Cinnamon, their fine dining restaurant. It was terrific! Sizzling scallop starter followed by a delicious grilled prawn main, on a roof deck, candlelit, overlooking the sea. Why didn't I give it 5 stars? Well, in my mind, when comparing luxury hotels, it's not the Four Season, Aman or St. Regis, but, it's certainly not bad choice!

Room Tip: Ocean view, 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Audley17

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. Here at Jetwing Lighthouse, we believe in guest satisfaction and take pride in every satisfied guest who walks out of our doors. Regardless of where they come from, how long they stay, the most important fact remains to exceed their needs with services and facilities we have on offer.

It is pleasing to hear that your enjoyed our range of food, and you had especially mentioned the Cinnamon Room and I will pass your compliments on to Chef Nihal, our Executive Chef. Our facilities range from a extremely popular spa, to the gym, the flood lit tennis courts, and the 2 crystal clear pools that guests enjoy to the maximum.

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor, and I hope to welcome you back to Jetwing Lighthouse in the future.

Robert Claesson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Era Beach by Jetwing
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Niyagama House
Niyagama House
#4 of 23 in Galle

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!