“Our second visit did not disappoint”
Review of Jetwing Lighthouse

Jetwing Lighthouse
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Bath
“Our second visit did not disappoint”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was our second visit to The Lighthouse, and we were pleased to see that the high standards had been maintained.
Its position overlooking the sea (all rooms) is unmatched, and being only a short tuk tuk ride from Galle, allows you to explore the lovely old Dutch fort and its shops. Do take time out to walk around the fort walls - start at the Clocktower. The Hotel has a number of tuk tuks, and the fare to Galle is about 600 rupees return, and the driver will stay with you in Galle as long as you wish. Do tip if you have received good service or dally.
The Hotel rooms are spacious and well equiped, with a large bed, settee, desk, satellite TV and a wooden chest. The bathroom is also large with a walk-in shower, and good toiletries. They also provide a cafetiere, kettle, teas and real coffee, with a welcome bowl of fruit. All rooms have a balcony or terrace.
It's more of an adult hotel in my view, although children are made very welcome.
Very soon after arrival you start to chill. It's a lovely quiet location, very relaxing.
There is a spa with a range of treatments, although as the Hotel was quiet, I think they could have attracted more business by offering some deals/discounts. Still, it was cheaper than UK spas.
The adjacent beach is beatiful and kept clean, although the sea is not safe to swim in at this time of year. You can walk the beach safely, and without any hassle.
The food was again excellent, with a wide choice, including intenational and Sri Lankan options. We particularly enjoyed the fresh fish, and the desserts!
Staff make a hotel, and those at The Lighthouse are the frendliest and happiest I have come across....well led by Manager Robert and his deputy Janaka.
It was low season when we visited (May/June) but the weather was good, with only the occasional shower. The two large pools were generally empty. The odd spell of cloud was welcome, and the temperatures were hot throughout - never once wore a sweater/cardigan. It's a good time to visit on this evidence.
The new road from Colombo is due to open this summer, so the transfer from the airport will be quicker.
I don't think you will be disappointed if you visit The Jetwing Lighthouse.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mendiprambler
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

There are few things more satisfying to me as a hotelier than have guests returning again and again to our hotel. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you second stay was just as memorable as the first. Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautifully vivid description about us and I hope you’ll visit us again in the near future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This was like a long time dream come true, had seen this hotel 4 years back, but stayed for the first time and the experience was absolutely pleasant. personalised service, entrance, lobby and mainly view from all places of the property is stunning,
Whole staff as if knew us, and always had a smile, guest relation is maintained very well and even courtesy call from the higher management is a pleasant surprise. food is excellent, even request for special food in advance is catered too, extensive breakfast menu, and seems everything is just fine there.... Just the Internet connection is weak in room, but at lobby its good enough.

Room Tip: ask the room with sea view, if suite,ask for dutch
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank d_chandriani
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. As a Small Luxury Hotel, we pride ourselves on our ability to give our guests a level of personalized care that larger hotels may not be able to match.

It is truly fulfilling for me, as a General Manager to hear that our efforts are appreciated by our guests. We are always striving to improve ourselves even further through training and development and nothing would make me happier than to have you visit us again in the near future and experience a stay even better than this one.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We experienced a wonderful two night stay.. would recommened to everyone..excellent service provided by the FNB staff and all staff in general.. really made to feel at home.. great food with an excellent choice of desserts..Rooms are nice with fabulous views..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. It was our primary goal to make our visitors feel as comfortable as possible during their time with us and it is fulfilling to hear that it is appreciated by our guests. We do hope you will visit us again soon.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The swirling wooden stairway to the lobby area, decorated with Dutch and Sinhalese warriors re-enacting the Battle of Randeniya which brings out a glimpse of Sri Lankan culture is what you see as you enter the hotel.

The moment you enter the lobby area, there is only one thing that captures your eye and makes time stand still – the ocean. The hotel which lies on a rocky, hilly area adjacent to the beach is created in such a way that the lobby area receives a full 180 degree view of the Indian Ocean. For me, this was the pinnacle of Geoffery Bawa’s architectural design of the hotel. The hotel as a whole is spacious and airy and the interior décor brings out a trendy outlook with a touch of culture blended into it. The lawn which is maintained in front of the lobby area extends downhill with a rocky stairway leading to the beach-front where small pools of ocean water have been created as a result of the waves that crash onto the rocks. If you’re a wildlife enthusiast, you’ll be able to spot a variety of fish, shellfish and even sea urchins around these natural pools.

Soon after the complimentary refreshments, the room keys were handed over to us.

Our walk was accentuated by the pin drop silence which would occasionally be disrupted by the sound of waves crashing. The entrance decorated with a battle scene and the lobby characterized by the crashing waves is a total contrast to the rest of the hotel’s quiet and peaceful setting. When we finally reached our room (which was located one before the last on the third floor), the first thing T wanted to do was check on the view from the balcony. He had specifically inquired about the sea view (which we found out was available for all rooms – another one of Bawa’s talents) but to his disappointment, there were a couple of trees blocking the perfect view of the sea. I on the other hand, wanted to explore every nook and corner of the room and after a swift analysis, I was quite satisfied with what it had to offer: A coffee brewer and utensils to make tea, a mini bar, a TV, A/C and fan, stationary and a few magazines, a gorgeous wash room, a spacious closet area and a massive bed. The wash room/toilet should be given special mention because it was equipped with the necessary equipment such as a hair-dryer (was a bit slow but served its purpose) and some aromatic lotions and bath products. It also comes with a small bath tub with candles and bubble bath products for those interested in adding a bit of romance to their stay at the hotel.

The beach adjacent to the hotel isn’t the best beach around because of the rocky terrain. However, it’s a paradise for seashell lovers (like yours truly). I spent hours sitting on the soft sand rummaging through bits and pieces of shell to find some of the cutest and tiniest shells I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately, it started to drizzle and that is when we decided to take a dip in the pool while it was raining. However, I do not approve of this because it can be hazardous in case of lightning.

After the brisk dip we headed back to the room so that we could make it in time for dinner.

Dinner can be summed up in one word – magnificent. I know it’s cliché and you probably hear it every time you switch on your TV to watch a travel programme amidst all the “ooh”s and “ah”s, but the food at Light House Hotel is truly out of this world. (Out of the third world is more appropriate I think) We were seated near the garden area which had the sea view; so the amazing food was topped off by the candle-light, the sea breeze and the sound of waves crashing, making it a dinner to remember.

The long, tiresome day and amazing dinner, lulled us to sleep only to wake up late the next morning which resulted in us rushing to make it to the breakfast buffet on time. Once again Light House Hotel had not ceased to amaze us with its culinary delights.There was so much variety and the food was so mouthwatering, that we stuffed ourselves over limits which were beyond our comprehension.

Our bill came up to approximately USD 210 for one night’s stay for two on half board basis. However, keep in mind we visited during the high/peak season so the prices could fall to as low as USD 110 during the off-peak season (which we both think is a bargain for the quality this hotel offers you)

A summary :
Pros:

1) The hotel is amazing and the rooms have great facilities. However, it should be mentioned that travellers should avoid comparing the standard of a 5 star hotel in Sri Lanka with that of New York or any highly developed city. The hotel lives up to its expectations only if you keep that point in mind. The hotel is also included in the directory of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

2) The food is also amazing. (I feel like I’ve been over-using the word amazing but this hotel really deserves it) There is so much variety and the food is mouth watering as mentioned earlier.

3) The service is really good and the staff is friendly.

4)The pool and other facilities are also pretty good (From the looks of it – because we didn’t use all the other available facilities)

5) All rooms come with a sea view.

Cons:

1) It wouldn’t be the ideal place for a single person to stay at and is more suitable for couples and family outings.

2) If you are looking for excitement related to night life etc. – this is NOT the place to be.
The beach isn’t too great when compared to other beaches in Sri Lanka because of its rocky terrain.

3) The bed is huge but is made up of two queen sized mattresses kept together which isn’t that great as they keep moving away from each other, leaving a huge gap between the two mattresses.

4) If you are a foreign visitor, the hotel might be a bit too far from the airport – around 4-5 hours away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nishadi L
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to write such a detailed, thorough review and I am absolutely thrilled that your stay with us was flawless. The highway between Colombo and Galle is nearly complete and travel time between the two cities has been clocked at 72 minutes. This is very exciting news for us and we eagerly await many more guests from Colombo in the coming season.

Please accept my apologies regarding the two mattresses. Many rooms have two separate mattresses to accommodate our many corporate guests who request “twin” rooms and a king sized mattress is provided upon request. We hope you were not greatly inconvenienced by this.
We look forward to your next stay with us and we hope it will be in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Can't fault the hotel. Room service, staff, food, room, experience, swimming pool and spa, everything was great.
Amazing hotel all in all.
Best of all the service me and my friend got from the hotel staff. I had emergancy appendix operation and the hotel staff were great in looking after me. The hotel manager and front of house manager came 4 times! with food parcels whilst i stayed in hospital over 2 nights. They even provided free transport to the hospital for my friend when he visited.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I hope that you are now in good health and that you have recovered from the appendix operation. One of the many benefits of not being a very large hotel is that we have the time to personally get to know each and every one of our guests and any ailments that may face them during their time with us is cause for genuine concern.

It was absolutely no trouble coming to see you at the hospital and we are all very relieved that your operation was complication-free. We are glad that you enjoyed what little time you were able to spend at our hotel and we do hope that you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

A wonderful place to spend the last 5 days of our Sri Lanka tour. Beautiful room, lovely bathroom, excellent food-BBQ on our arrival night was a treat, peaceful pool and a good spa

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank LadyHelenH
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse and for taking the time to leave us some thoughts about your stay. We are glad you enjoyed the many facilities we have to offer and we eagerly await your next visit.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 19, 2011

In some ways, I'm tempted not to review this magnificently superb hotel. That's how great the place is: I don't want everyone to know and come spoil it! I write anyway because Lighthouse is downright my favorite hotel in the entire world (I've seen a lot of 'em, too...)! I write this because after numerous visits over the last three years, I consider everyone working there my personal friend. Nothing less. Let me summarize my overall experinece: Wonderful staff! Wonderful view! Wonderful food! Wonderful pool & spa!
If you're able to find fault at Lighthouse, may I suggest you migth be better off staying at home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kjetilwathne
Dear guest,

Allow me to express most sincerely how much we value your continued patronage throughout the years. We are truly glad that The Lighthouse has earned such a special place in your heart and we are honoured to be considered your friends.

Thank you for such kind words and we hope it wouldn’t be long before you visit us once more.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
The Fortress
#7 of 23 in Galle
Thaproban Beach House
Thaproban Beach House
#5 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!