“Oasis of calm amidst the bustle of Galle Fort”
Review of Amangalla

Amangalla
Ranked #22 of 136 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Oasis of calm amidst the bustle of Galle Fort”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is beautiful with much of its colonial heritage preserved. The four of us along with my 2 year old arrived for dinner and were greeted by a phalanx of waiters at the top of the stairs.

We were promptly shown to a table, and the requisite baby chair was presented before my l'il dictator could protest. They have a very limited main menu with only 3 main courses to select from - lamb, chicken or Sri Lankan option.

I ordered the calamari salad to start - this was the worst calamari salad I had ever had. The pieces of calamari sparsely populated a meagre bed of wilted lettuce. The calamari itself was rubbery and covered in an extremely heavy batter.

My main course of lamb rack was perfectly cooked a medium rare with an herb sauce and proved to be the polar opposite of my starter. The lamb was well-seasoned and tender. A divine dish!

The rest of my party opted for the Sri Lankan option which was excellent when compared to other Sri Lankan curries sampled during our fortnight there.

The availability of premium spirits, good service, the delightful ambience and a killer espresso did make for an excellent dinner.

They also do a delightful high tea - a more perfect setting for this most English of traditions I cannot imagine.

• Visited July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
“Stunning hotel pity they don't like customers”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went to Amangalla, the aim was for coffee and then we would book for dinner with a view that we would probably stay there next time we visited.

So we arrived in mid morning and entered the empty verandah area and said we would like coffee and we would like to sit inside in the main seating area - totally empty - we were told we couldn't do that and no reason offered. So we were shown to a small table on the verandah were most of the tables were set for lunch.

We had our coffee and it was clear that we were disturbing the four staff on duty who were having a lovely time. The coffee was fine and I asked for a dinner menu only to be told it was lunch it a manner that was discourteous. So despite the fact that we were thinking of staying, we were thinking of having dinner..we both left determined not to return.

The service, the approach to clients ( especially given that we were the only ones there) was some of the worst I have seen.

Poor and you don't treat customers this way!!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ESVincent
Sydney, Australia
“A chance meeting”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had a day in Galle recently, friend recommended Amangalla, we hopped into taxi to find. What a delight this place is, decor sublime, the buiding dates from 1684 and has been a hotel since 1863. The very grand classical terrace superb for coffee and cakes which 7 of us enjoyed. Mentioned to waiter we were going to visit Galle Fort, said we would come back for lunch, so glad we did beautifully set up table with stunning flowers all ready, meal really fine and the ambience perfect. This hotel is grand understated luxury, darling waiter asked would we like to see a suite..... Of course we said, wow again not over the top but carved four poster bed polished wooden floors freestanding bath an amazing view. Sad to leave this relaxing space as so to my taste, would love to stay here next time

• Visited May 2013
Cardiff
“Worth the Expense”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel is out of my price range for accommodation but I visited one evening during my stay in Galle.

The building itself is stunning, with the interior matching the grandeur of the view from the street. The dining rooms and veranda/terrace have a beautiful colonial feel with dark wood and heavy furniture set against white walls and window shutters.

Didn't end up eating here as I didn't think much of the menu but a great place to stop by for an drink.

• Visited March 2013
East Midlands
“Well Worth a Visit”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes this place is pricey by local standards but the price is worth it for the quality of food and the ambience of this lovely hotel. We visited at lunchtime and sat on the veranda which was a good place to sit to watch the world go by. The ayurveda curry was a delight. The service as you would expect was really good.

• Visited May 2013