New Old Dutch House
Lady Hill(Galle)
$109
$88
HotelQuickly
All reviewsdouble roomsri lankan lunchcourtyard areabeautiful guest houseown bathroomdecent breakfastwifi signalgalle fortmini fridgewet roomhotel is greattrain stationsmall hotelfort wallsrooms are spaciousguesthousetiles
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at the New Old Dutch House for 2 nights last week. And we paid in advance, which was a MISTAKE. The room was smelly and dirty, hotel staff did not respect our wishes to leave the windows closed (um, mosquito much?), breakfast would have been laughable if it hadn't been so disgusting. The room would have been a good value if it had been priced at around $15, but it was more than 5 times that price....
It is in a nice location in the fort, though.

Room Tip: don't book here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Not quite what the Lonely Planet made it out to be. Here are 3 things that spoiled our stay there:
1. All the management wanted to do was get us to purchase their gems in their shop inside the guest house by insisting that all our interactions and conversations happened inside their small 'gem shop'. When we checked in we were escorted to the shop, it was so obvious and very annoying what they wanted. Every conversation ended with 'so, would you like to buy our gems?' even though we had told them no a number of times.
2. We checked into our room and unpacked our bags and had a drink. Only then did they realise they had given us the wrong room. When we said it was ok, they asked for more money as it was a 'more expensive room'. We either paid or had to re-pack our things and moved. It was very annoying after a long, hot journey there so we decided to pay the extra and stay in the room. It may have been a genuine mistake but it really felt like a little scheme they had going.
3. THEN! That night getting into bed a HUGE cockroach was under my pillow! It was so disgusting and it ran somewhere and hid in the bed and I ended up getting no sleep whatsoever out of fear it would crawl on my face at night.

It did however, have a lovely courtyard and a cool lobby to sit in for a drink etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Newtripstyle
Reviewed November 15, 2013

After reading the poor reviews this establishment received way back in August I feel like I can offer a bit of an update.

I stayed here for 3 nights from November 10th and I have to say that the service here is second to non. The young men who work here really go out of their way to look after you and will happily stop and chat and offer advice on where to go.

I actually had an issue in Sri Lanka with my bank card (the back of my card was damaged and very few places use the chip and pin here, they all use the magnetic strip off the back,) but the way that these guys went out of their way to help me was truly excellent. They had a chip and pin machine and gave me cash back, only charging me the bank charges as extra. They even said that if I need any more cash and I can't find a bank to help me to just come back and they will look after me. I actually came back when the owner was out, but they called him and organised a time for him to come back and help. Remarkable service.

I had the small room with communal bathroom which didn't bother me in the slightest, it was clean, quiet but so so hot. You don't really get a sea breeze through the fort walls so you'll have the fan on 24/7.

I really recommend this hotel, everyone is friendly (including the fantastic owner,) the service is great, the breakfast is tasty and the place is sooooo much cleaner than everywhere else I have stayed in Sri Lanka.

Good work guys, keep it up. Oh and Thanks:)

Room Tip: Room 3 that I stayed in is a bit small for couples, but perfect for the solo traveller.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CRIPTHEGREEK82
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I always check on trip advisor before booking a hotel but this time I didn't since the lonely planet (which I have always trusted a lot) said that it was a wonderful place, one of the most clean guest house of south sri lanka.
When I arrived at the guest house I thought it was very ugly from the outside but that maybe the room (as seen in the photos on their web site) were going o be different. The room not only was horrible but also not the one we reserved. Of course it was the last one so we had to take it. And we payed it like crazy in advanxe!!!!!!!
It was dirty and we slept with our clothes on. Plus you could hear everything from the room behind since there wasn't even an entire wall behind it. The staff is rude and doesn t even understand english or try to!
Do not go for any reason!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Extremely bad experience with this hotel! Disgusting smell in the room, very small and dirty bathroom, unfriendly staff that gave us after complaining a room in another hotel outside the fort where we were the only guests (no staff there - just us alone in the house). There things got even worse - the house was in the middle of nowhere - and there were no drinks etc there. Moreover the shower did not work! The bedsheets were dirty and we had to change them ourselves.. Still we had to pay the full price (65 USD).. Never again!!

• Stayed: August 2013