“An absolute must!”

Ranked #1 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Galle
Singapore, Singapore
“An absolute must!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Simply put: this is a magical place for travellers of all ages. A real gem and if you are going to southern Sri Lanka I think you'd be bonkers to go anywhere else. Henrietta and her team make you feel so at home and they looked after our every need. It is the only place we have been on holiday where we felt like we were living in a paradise. Delightful people, world-class service and attention, great accomodation and just delicious food. As a family with two young kids we loved it. Everywhere we went around Galle the folk were so friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back. Go soon - once they complete the motorwat the area will sky rocket.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Iain A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

After travelling most of Sri Lanka in a 2 week period, I would honestly say Why House was up there with my favourite resorts.

Incredible setting a bit back from the busier seafront, with spacious rooms and great surrounding gardens. A koi pond as a centrepiece in the house is definitely a unique and welcomed feature.The staff were exceptional and make you feel very much at home!

Rupert, Veronica and Henrietta were fantastic hosts and we wish them all the best in the future, running this fantastic villa - two thumbs up and we hope to visit again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick B
London
Reviewed April 25, 2012

What an exceptional and idyllic place Why House is! I simply can’t recommend it highly enough. I went to Sri Lanka on a research mission, with the hope of a little R&R thrown in, and as a women travelling alone I have to admit I felt slightly apprehensive but there was no need. From the moment the plane touched down I felt entirely cared for and excited too, it’s an extraordinary country with smiling, welcoming people. The house organised my transport from Colombo to Galle and upon arrival I was greeted by Henrietta and Sanath, the hotel managers, with such warmth and generosity of spirit that I immediately felt completely at home. It’s so tranquil there, 5 mins Tuk Tuk ride from the stunning (but noisy) Indian Ocean and my room was bliss with a private terrace, huge shower, air con and a lovely big walk-in wardrobe – important for a girl! The food was utterly delicious and I had the choice of dining quietly alone or with other guests at the main house table…which was great fun and much more interesting. The staff bent over backwards to ensure my comfort and Henrietta even escorted me into Galle, explaining the general Sri Lankan ropes, so I felt totally confident alone thereafter. Sanath was ever happy to drive me wherever I needed to go – he even devised an overland tour for me to take when I come back with my children next year. I want to show them the elephants and the tea plantations and they will adore staying at Why House. This is no ordinary hotel, it has the feeling of a luxurious home set in a vibrant and exciting area of this truly magical country. Thank you all for looking after me so beautifully.

Room Tip: The room I had wasn't in the main house so it felt very private. It was even big enough to shar...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Katie B
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We arrived in Why House after an exhausting journey by car. The professionalism, the kindness of the staff and the maginficient pool allowed us to put our long ride behind us very fast.
The spacious room with a separating door for the parent section was a plus.
The bathroom with its glass ceiling above the italian shower was a delight.
The team makes sure that you feel at home and equest what they can cook to please you. The western and Eastern food was FANTASTIC.
My favourite moment was that while I was reading beside the pool, Babou (one of the staff) was offering me some Lime Soda.....

Room Tip: Shall you travel with some kids, we recommend the double rooms in the main pavillon.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank faubaniac
london
Reviewed April 12, 2012

From our being met by Sanath the manager at 1.30am at Colombo airport to our departure a week later being waved off by all the staff this was one of the best weeks we have ever spent.
Hen, the English manager, was not only friendly and welcoming but also extremely efficient and thought of every need you might have, often before you knew you needed it.
The food was delicious, from sumptuous breakfast buffets, light lunches, to delicious blow out dinners. And though asked for your preferences you could quite easily leave it all to the excellent chef.
Though there was a party who had taken most of the house (we were in a cabana) we never felt crowded and could always take our meals in a number of locations around the property.
Tuk tuks and drivers were arranged at a moments notice and reservations for dinner made without fuss.

We are already planning our next trip...need we say more

PS Don't forget to ask Babu for an Arrack sour...addictive

Room Tip: We were in a cabana which gave some privacy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Why not stay at Why House when visiting Southern Sri Lanka. This is a wonderful gem of a boutique hotel. The house and the spacious rooms are beautiful, and roomy and clean. (I particularly liked the large closet and the great shower. The pool and grounds are immaculate and well-maintained, but the best part is the wonderful staff. Henrietta and Stanath are not just hospitable, but they can't do enough for you. Henrietta supervises a wonderful kitchen that produces flavorful curries as well as Western food. The string hoppers for breakfast are a real treat with a curry, but my favorite was the beet curry (that's beetroot for you Brits) in an egg hopper. They can arrange transport to or from the airport or to Galle or to the beach and the house has the Cadillac of tuktuks for local transport. All of the staff were friendly and smiling and made me feel at home. Oh yes -- don't forget to try the arrack sour as a pre-prandial potable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is the most incredible, place in Sri Lanka, if your looking for either a relaxing or energetic holiday this it it. The staff are full of smiles, always helpful in anyway possible. The food is just incredible, whatever your feeling wether its an English dish, or Sri lankan style, Why provides it all. Only a 2 minute tuc tuc ride from the beach, it is a perfect location. I could not have asked for anywhere better on my stay in Sri Lanka, it is a dream place. I reccomend it to absoloutley anyone, your missing out on something very unique and special, if you dont stay at Why. Thank you so much for making my stay the best it could possibly be.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tara L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
Tamarind Hill by Asia Leisure
Cantaloupe Aqua
Cantaloupe Aqua
#9 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Why House? Share your experiences!