“Fantastic cooking course and lunch (They have moved to 27 Church St!!)”

Mama's Galle Fort Roof Cafe
Ranked #36 of 134 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic cooking course and lunch (They have moved to 27 Church St!!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We first had a great lunch at Mama's and then I learned of their cooking course which is a great deal at R3000. The cooking course was the highlight of my time in Galle, especially with the 1-2-1 personal attention from Mama.

Cooking course began at 0930 and it was just me - the lessons are 1 on 1. We went to the market to buy spices and vegetables as Mama does everyday for the restaurant. All the shopping and tuk tuk to the market are included. Mama and her daughter showed me where to buy the food, what is good, explained the spices and all the ingredients. We also went to the fish market to see what's good for the day. After about an hour of learning, we then we back to the kitchen where I helped and took notes on 9 different curries! Amazing! I learned so much and asked so many questions.

I then ate some of the lovely dishes and the rest were served to paying customers and to my friend that dropped by. It was a fantastic course in a lovely setting with Mama and her daughters who really care.

The location has moved and unfortunately they lost the roof terrace. To make things confusing, the old location still has the name Mama's - the new owners need to remove this and perhaps benefiting from the confusion! Nonetheless, the food is wonderful and for R 550 for a set curry and rice lunch, it's a steal.

I really recommend the cooking course or if you just want lunch, it's great!

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank BusyFlyingAround

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Lunch with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Lovely rooftop restaurant, serving delicious rice and curry and very refreshing jugs of lime juice. Yes, you have to climb up some beautifully preserved steep steps, and yes, the terrace is partially surrounded by windows, but it's a lovely, friendly place, and one of the nicest lunches we had in Sri Lanka.

Visited August 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“nice view, average food, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

the strong point here is the location, on a roof top, with an interesting, although not stunning, view. the food is ok, not bad, but nothing special. service is slow.

• Visited August 2013
Kuala Lumpur
“Overpriced food in a not so comfortable surrounding”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went there after a long walk around the fortification in hope to take a rest and enjoy the view, after referring to Lonely Planet. We had to climb a bit to reach the rooftop. The staircase is somehow very dizzying, maybe I was tired or it is too narrow and spiraling. The sea is just visible from the rooftop, nothing to wow about the view. The lighthouse and mosque are nearby though.

Menu isn't great in variety and mostly overpriced. We are vegetarian so that's even little choice for us. We had lime and soda, which is average, but I was very dissapointed to see the tomato bruschetta to come with squares of plain white bread (cold and not toasted) at the bottom with some pathetic amount of tomatoes and one tiny slice of olive on top. Way too expensive for something over Rs.300.

I was annoyed by the number of flies. I know flies are common but they just kept coming back so often that I had to fan with one hand to chase them away all the time I was there. It was raining before on that day so the wooden tables and chairs are slightly damp and the surrounding doesn't smell nice because of these wet furniture.

It took forever just to have my bill. I told them four times, and at the last time, I stood up with a I'm-going-off-since-you-don't-need-me-to-pay look on my face, and finally someone ran up the stairs with a bill. We made our payment ourselves downstairs because we didn't want to waste time waiting again. Except for drink station, everything else is downstairs. That explains why the waiters need to run up and down with food, bill etc. They were about two to three waiters around, but they were busy serving others (Westerners). Probably we are Asian, I don't know.

There are definitely some better places than this in the fort.

• Visited July 2013
Hell, Norway
“a fine meal in an memorable location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

It's hard to top the location of this restaurant: a rooftop terrace in an old Portuguese trading town overlooking a lighthouse in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

The service was great, the curry and rice predictably top-drawer, even for Sri Lanka and the location unforgettable...

• Visited September 2012