“Average food and shockingly rude owner”

Mama's Galle Fort Roof Cafe
Ranked #41 of 150 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Sri Lankan
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I went to Mama's earlier this month after reading the recommendation in The Lonely Planet. While sitting around an waiting for our food we witnessed the English owner discipline his staff in front of the entire restaurant - this basically consisted of him literally banging pots and pans, shouting at his staff like they were no better than dogs, apparently because someone had been waiting over 5 minutes for their food. The entire restaurant was looking on uncomfortably at the show he was putting on, while his poor staff were desperately trying to put on brave faces despite their public belittling. After watching the circus act for a few minutes I confronted the owner and told him that I was horrified with his behaviour, at which point it became apparent that he was drunk. He said that he would "probably apologise to his staff later on or tomorrow" and said that he hoped I wouldn't be putting a review on trip advisor. Absolutely despicable man. Under pressure from other diners he then gave a public apology to his staff and told them that if he acts like that towards them again then they have his permission to "give him a jolly good ticking off". Yep, like they would!

The more socially conscious of you might want to avoid this place altogether. If not give the staff a big tip for having to work under such a sorry excuse for a man. Oh and the food is very average. Much better eating places in Galle.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had big expectations of the food at Mama's Cafe, after seeing it on Lonely Planet guide's top choice for food in Galle. However, other than the location which was on a roof beside the Galle lighthouse, there isn't much else to write about. This was nothing like what we've had elsewhere. We checked with the waiter beforehand about what rice he used and he said it was basmati. Between the 5 of us, we ordered a variety of dishes including the rice and curry, and biryani. The rice that was served wasn't basmati, the fish was not fresh, and the curries were way too salty for us. Needless to say, we couldn't wait to get out of there. I asked the locals in the area, and they concurred with me on the food. Try Pinto's Cafe, a small shop along Pedlar Street, it was recommended to us by the locals but we didn't get the chance to try it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant In the heart of Galle fort. We had a table with views out to the lighthouse and sea which was great. Service was brilliant and food was even better. We ordered a variety of things recommended by the Waiter and all were amazing, full of flavour and really spicy. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The 4 of us had aperfect evening at mama's. the atmosphere and staff made the evening so comfortable and enjoyable. Prices are reasonable and the ingredients they use are always fresh and seasonable. You should definitely order:
Pumpkin and Ginger soup
String hopper and chicken laksa soup
Thosai with dahl
Vadai
Curry special mixed meal
Banana fritters - don't miss these!!! We were stuffed and had already eaten other banana fritters earlier that day but we still ordered a second round to share because they were that good.

You can skip these as they are nothing special:
Coconut lime soup
Chicken biryani

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I doubt whether the writer of Lonly Planet was bribe-taking!
I went to Mama’s Galle Fort Root Café in 15th Feb 2013 in Sri Lanka. I ordered two disks, one was chicken curry rice, another was vegetables curry rice. When waiters served the dishes, there was only one disk rice, and some dishes. And when I checked billing, I found that the money was for two disks rice! The waiter said it's two disks rice together.It did not happen frist time. Before, another tourist met same thing I saw. So I would not like to pay money for double money, and told to waiter he could call policeman. Policeman came, policeman let me pay double money, and pliceman told me if I did not pay it, I will stay in police! Then my companion told me it's a few money, so I paid it, but I'm in bad mood.
After the event, I guess maybe the waiter think that if same dish in menu I order, he serve only one. But it is mistake! If this is right, I order 4 disks fried rice with egg, he only must to serve one disk rice for one person? And the waiters were wicked manner.
If good environment is only reason for top choice, then full of anger is a good choice?

我很怀疑Lonly Planet的记者是不是被贿赂了。
我们在Mama’s Galle Fort Root Café点了这家的特色饭,鸡肉的一份,蔬菜的一份,上菜的时候,只有一份饭,和一些菜。结账的时候服务员说是两份!服务员的解释是:这两份是在一起的。但确实是只有一份饭,我还将那个唯一的装饭的盘子拿起来给服务生看,但他还是坚持说这就是2个盘子。这种情况并非我遇到,在我之前结账的游客遇到相同的事情。于是我不愿意支付两份饭的钱,并告诉店家,如果他觉得有问题,找警察来解决。后来店家叫来了警察,警察居然说如果我们不付钱,就要带我们去警察局过夜!完全是警匪一家的感觉。后来,同伴觉得一点小钱,算了,于是我们放弃了,但好心情全部都没有了。
后来我猜测:可能是店家认为点的菜中重复的就上一份,米饭是重复的,所以仅上一份。但这真正是岂有此理!如果按这种说法,那我如果点4份蛋炒饭,岂不是只要上一人份的一盘就可以了?而且服务员的态度实在是太恶劣了!
如果仅因为环境好就可以作为第一推荐的话,那么被气饱了是不是也是好的选择呢?