“Great location, friendly hosts, clean.”

and 1 more site!
Thenu Rest Guest House
Ranked #57 of 125 Galle B&B and Inns
“Great location, friendly hosts, clean.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Clean, walking distance from bus station, central. Friendly staff. Room was a little dark, shower was basic. We had a mosquito net over bed. The room upstairs at the front had a window which backed onto balcony area and there were only net curtains so not too private (we used sarongs and safety pins!). Breakfast was optional which we opted out of as by this stage of our trip we were a little tired of bread and eggs! Crepeology was amazing for breakfast (or lunch or dinner!). Deco on 44 was pricey but well worth a "treat". Galle is a stunning place not to be missed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It's so hot in Sri Lanka in April that I decided I needed a room with air-con and I also wanted to stay in Galle Fort rather than in the main town, and the Thenu Rest was among the least expensive choices. I had 3 lovely days there and would recommend it to others. The location is very good, but the same could be said of any hotel in the Fort because they are all about 5 minutes apart on foot.

I had the room with AC and TV that faces the front. As someone else mentioned, it's a bit weird that privacy consists of a lace curtain, but I also checked and you can't really see in from the outside. Across the small road there is a former hospital that is being refurbished into a shopping complex, so there is some banging during the day, but never too early or late.

My first night I had dinner at the Thenu, and like so many other places in Sri Lanka they ask you to order hours in advance because it's more home cooking than a restaurant. The meal was quite good and at a very fair price (600 rupees). Better still, I was served at the table on the balcony in front of my room, and they are also one of the few places in Galle that serve beer to guests (300 rupees for a large Lion). I had breakfast all three mornings and it was the standard eggs, toast, butter, jam, juice and a pot of coffee, also for 600 rupee.

The one small negative for me was that (as others have pointed out) the bottom floor is basically the living room of the family who lives there, and going in and out you'll see them watching TV or whatever. But they were very friendly and helpful so I got used to it quickly. The best part was when my tuk-tuk to the train station was late, the owner jumped in his car and drove me to the station himself for free. It's not a long drive, but still a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
St Julians
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked this guesthouse 3 weeks in advance via Agoda (US$ 60 for 2 nights). When we arrived, they told us they were fully booked, but they could put us in another hotel around the corner, which the manageress said was "same, same...".

I checked out the room in the place they took us to: It was a damp, dirty dump.

So, I went back to the Thenu to tell them what I thought about it, in front of their other guests. I also emailed Agoda (with photographs of the room they'd offered) to start the complaints process. Next they offered to give us the 2nd night in their guesthouse, but no refund or offer of compensation for the first night.

OK, so by now I had blown off a bit of steam (this was not the first time this happened to us in Sri Lanka), and I certainly wasn't going to let it spoil another day, so we took the flea-pit they'd offered us, and I resolved to pursue compensation from Agoda.

We spent just 6 hours in the flea-pit: My wife couldn't bring herself to wash in the disgusting excuse for a bathroom, or even undress to lie on the damp bed (we didn't sleep much).

The next morning we returned to Thenu, and were given a room that was just acceptable. Needless to say, we were not disposed to use any of the other facilities of the guesthouse.

The main problem with this place is the attitude of the managers/owners, who clearly think nothing of inconveniencing their guests, and from whom no apology or offer of compensation whatsoever was forthcoming. They just stared at us as though WE were the problem.

After a lengthy email exchange with Agoda, I was offered full compensation for the one night, plus $25 worth of points, and their apologies.

So, in conclusion, we were impressed with Agoda's handling of this issue and sorely disappointed with the short-term cavalier attitude of the Thenu management.

If you want to avoid hassle and disappointment, avoid this place.

3 Thank SandSpice
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We did not recognise this place from Tripadvisor descriptions. We had booked online, expecting a good standard, but when we arrived, we did not get the room which we had thought we had reserved. Instead, we were led through dusty gloomy corridors to a dirty room with grim untiled bathroom, greasy light switches, filthy bathmat, floor in need of a scrub. The over-bearing owner did not help matters. We are not difficult people, and we have stayed in various standards of accommodation in many parts of the world, including India and the Far East. However, this is not acceptable. If the owner wishes to charge these rates, he needs to clean the place up and refurbish the sad, dusty interior. Other guest houses in Galle offer better value for money and a better experience.

Room Tip: We could not recommend anything here.
2 Thank William D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Rooms are clean and bathrooms like everywhere on the island ;) Perfect location in Fort where is very close to the beach and restaurants. We wasnt eating there but our host invite us for a tea and that was delicious. I liked terrace with sofas, glasses and sink already there, so we had nice small party :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michal M
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Thenu rest is a wonderful guest house and value for money in the fort. It is strategically located just 50m from cafe punto and close by to many of the forts tourist attractions. Lovely family, great views.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank scottplume
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Nice, clean place and good location but everything comes with a price. First, they didn't honor the agoda hotel voucher. They said they had not received payment and we as the guests, had to call agoda to settle the issue. Then we found out it was because they themselves didn't confirm payment with agoda. Then, the water pipe in the bathroom burst and the boss told us to live with it. The fact that the boss talks and behaves like a hooligan didn't help.

The style is pretty laissez faire: security is a tad higher than that of public license swimming pools. Anyone can just walk into the rooms.

There are also dozens of mosquitoes.

Oh, and all the dishes except for rice & curry (I hope) don't come with rice. It is not stated on the menu. We paid about US$0.50 for a plate. Food was great because they served us takeaways. The lady boss said she did the cooking though there wasn't any action in the kitchen.

• Stayed December 2012