“Nice family house”

Ranked #43 of 117 Galle B&B and Inns
London
“Nice family house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

A small guest house in gorgeous Galle Fort. I spent ten days here for the test match. Originally booked online but when I arrived the room that I had booked was going to be given to someone else and I he tried to move me to a different guest house without wi fi.

After 45 minutes of little conversation and minor haggling sat in the living room I took the air condition room on the 1st floor.

It is a nice enough room with excellent net and a decent bed. The shower is ok and the wifi good.

The family are really nie with 2 children and a small cat, and everything is very laid back.

They lock up at 10pm but if you come back late you just ring the doorbell.

Can't speak for the food as I ate out every night, but I'm sure it's great.

Everything in the fort is nearby and if on a budget its an excellent place to stay, then go for drinks at the 5 star hotels 3 minutes walk around the corner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DJDB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

The location is really perfect: closed to the sea directly in front of the walls belonging to the fort - so completely quite and in the historical center of Galle. All members of the family are very friendly. The rooms dipose of different facilities. Ours had a wonderful bed with the best mosquito net we had during our trip (!), ac, wifi, nice furniture, tv with 'limited' functions, hot water, a very simple bathroom, that becomes completely wet with the shower ... But this was ok for us in this price range. The house and all sheets and towels offered were absolutely clean. The breakfast offer maybe a little bit expensive ... and there is also a much bigger choice in the restaurants around.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We arrived to this guest house and were greeted by Preethi and Camyre who are a very kind and hospitable couple. The room upstairs on the top floor has wonderful views across the rampart to the Galle harbour. Quietly situated and very safe and secure. Best coffee in Galle is served here and lovely lassis also! There are air con and non air con rooms at a mid range level but all rooms have a ceiling fan. Our room was very clean and 4 poster bed covered with mosquito net. Free internet with a lovely lounge area is great for relaxing and the outside area is fully shaded and catches the sea breeze. Tip: Ask for a tour on his tuk tuk from Tutti.

Room Tip: Top floor has the best views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mfutryk
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Booked a double room with ac. Got a great room with breakfast and television - and basically our own verandah overllooking the old hospital. You could actually hear the waves crashing at night.
Free wifi if you walked out into the hallway. On the whole a find for 4200 rupees with breakfast.
Very friendly owners.
Good location next to all the sights of Galle - which you can do in a couple of leisurely hours.

• Stayed December 2011
melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Rang the owner to ask if they had a twin room, stipulated 2 beds, with aircon,asked 3 times to make sure, confirmed availability. So disappointed to arrive & the aircon room is a double. So we move down the corridor, no aircon, i mozzie net, $27.00. The bathroom is so small with just a shower, no curtain, no hooks to hang anything up, so everything gets wet, including the toilet. having only one mozzie net, i spent the whole night being bitten, & scratching.The next morning we went out early to get new accom, & when we returned had a very unpleasant encounter with the owner & his wife, their concern that we were going to stay 2 nights, we tried to explain our reasons for leaving, but unfortunately the almighty dollar, or rupee in this case is paramount.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank foreverdreamin
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I have been traveling for 7 weeks and have not met more kind, thoughtful people than the family who own Thenu Rest, or stayed in a more unexpectedly peaceful guesthouse. Lovely rooms, great value. I managed to get ill before arriving in Galle, and it got quite severe while I was staying here, so the owner took me straight to an English speaking doctor in his own car, waited for me, brought me back, looked after me carefully (adding more traditional sri lankan medical treatments to my prescribed western ones!) and refused even the slightest financial compensation. I was confined to the guesthouse for a while, and couldn't have had a better place to be forced to stay! Several nice, breezy terraces for sitting and reading (one with a sea view) and lots of reading material to borrow. A lot of Galle is expensive and takes full advantage of its crumbling "boutique"ish reputation by pushing up the prices, but Thenu Rest is an authentically Sri Lankan little gem. Stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Captain Cook, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I loved Thenu Rest. I've read a couple of bad reviews, and honestly I think that the owners allow money to dictate their customer service, but I was there for three weeks and had a great time. I say this bit about money because the owners asked me (really demanded) that I change rooms in the middle of my stay because they had a long term guest coming in and wanted to give him the cheaper room because they were giving him a long term deal. But I was in the cheaper room, and they insisted that I move to the nicer room and I told them I didn't want to because I was perfectly happy where I was. Eventually I did move, and indeed truly enjoyed the new room, but I thought it's indicative of the owner's attitude. Everything in Fort is about money, though.

I got a good price at Thenu Rest and the guesthouse owners were very accomodating. Their menu prices were much too high in my opinion but the one time I actually did eat some rice and curry from them it was the best tasting rice and curry I have had by far in Sri Lanka (and I've had some good curry here). There's a little dog and a little cat, some really pleasant seating areas, and the furnishings are above average. The rooms are fitted with large desks, so if you want a working vacation like I had this is a perfect place for it. Fort is really inspiring for a writer, for example.

I loved it here. I'm thinking about going back. for another week before I leave Sri Lanka, if they have room.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo