“Quaint, quirky and delicious! :-)”
Review of Royal Dutch Cafe

Royal Dutch Cafe
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Galle
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is a well known story teller about Galle. Serves the "best tea" in town as weel Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is well known for his stories about Galle Fort. Serves the "best tea in town" as well as lunch and dinner.
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Found this little cafe and gift shop by chance (then saw the TA, facebook, and lonely planet references when we were there)! Had some of the best tea we had in sri lanka and delicious curry, dahl, coconut rice and veg roti. Not same style roti as from a roti shop but then its not an average roti shop! Quirky, small and interesting, so nice we had to stay for cake!

1  Thank Kate R

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The teas are amazing. The derive is great...friendly, funny,very personable. The owner is a storyteller and very knowledgeable. Food is good.

1  Thank Deanna D
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed in Unawatuna for a few days now and we were disappointed till now from the food. But today we found this nice little restaurant with its beautiful terasse full of flowers and we ate the best sri lanka food till the beginning of our travel!!!!Its so tastefull and really not expensive! Also the owner is really really nice and welcoming!!!We really recommand this place for everybody who loves food like us :)

1  Thank monaandtristan
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Nestled in one of those cosy Galle Fort Streets, Royal Dutch Cafe was, for us, a complete delight and a happy discovery. After more than 12 hours of roaming about the streets of Unawatuna, Ahangama, Talpe and Galle, me and my girlfriend were looking for some fulfilling food (and by that I mean we were bored of eating the same rice and curry day in day out, so were looking for a change!!). Just as we were giving up our search for something small but with a nice menu, we stumbled upon this little cafe and its mesmerizing and charming owner Mr Fazal. He gives you good stuff to eat, some stories that take you back in time and leave you wishing if you could spend more time at the cafe. I know i will go back here if and when i happen to make a trip to Sri Lanka.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm shy and introverted by nature, and growing up in NYC, I learned to avert my eyes and mind my business, which is why things like homestays generally weird me out - I don't like to feel intrusive. That's why I was a little taken aback when, while waiting for my food to arrive, I poked into the shop and could see straight into the back kitchen and see a family sitting around the table there.... Basically this family have given up their front porch as a restaurant and front room/living room as a store, and it's all utterly charming.

You might be a little put off by the density of houseplants and bazaar feel of the decor, as well as the hand-written menus and the brusqueness of the waiter, but it's well worth it.

My husband and I stopped in and had some delicious spiced coffee (smooth and tasty, with cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom), and lunch of chicken masala curry with cinnamon rice. The chef, Fazal, came out and personally recommended the homemade mango chutney, and he was right on the money... its the best I've ever had, and would've bought some if he sold it in jars.

Every time tourists came by and paused, considering whether or not to come in, I would tell them honestly that the food is delicious and they should try it - I felt bad more people werent giving it a shot.

Later, Fazal sat at a nearby table and started chatting with us, and we talked of Sri Lanka and India (our next destination) and America (home), as well as love and marriage (we're on a backpacking honeymoon), and it just added to the charmingness of the experience. We also didn't know of their famed photo album until it was handed to us - a sobering surprise, seeing the devastation of the area immediately after the tsunami of 2004.

Overall, its not like the fancy places in Galle catering to wealthy Europeans, but tiny and charming and worth a visit, even just for a cuppa.