“Beautiful property by the sea”

Era Beach by Jetwing
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Hong Kong, China
“Beautiful property by the sea”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We (a group of 10 friends) stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in mid December at the recommendation of our travel agent, Jetwing Tailormade because the Lighthouse was fully booked. However, having been to the Lighthouse to look around on our way to the Dutch Fort, we thought it’s a much better choice than the Lighthouse. We enjoyed our stay there.
No doubt it’s a beautiful property by the sea. The staff was friendly and helpful especially the chef who kindly steamed the live fish (in Chinese style!) we bought from fishermen at the beach.
The trouble we had was there were no twin beds in the suites. It was not made known to us at the time of booking. As we had two single ladies sharing a suite, the management at first put a roll-up bed for one of them. It looked so uncomfortable and after a little quibble, the management gave them another room at the end of the lobby. We appreciate their efforts and wish to thank them for the quick solution.

Turning to the rooms, my husband and I had an ocean view suite on the second floor. As the windows open into the corridor, we had to pull down the blinds most of the time so we could not enjoy the sea view from the room. The room is big, but dimly lit. Our friends felt the same too. In my room, four of the ceiling lights could not be switched on. The bed was placed on a raised platform, a design which made it easy to trip getting up from bed in the middle of the night. The other thing is there is noise from the traffic coming from the back, so the bathroom door must be closed to keep out the noise. The bathroom is well positioned. Afterall, I have no hesitation in recommending our friends to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank A L
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to leave us with this valuable review, your comments are a great asset to our effort to develop our standards and guest experience. The property itself; designed by a protégé of the famous Geoffrey Bawa is a magnificent colonial residence and a haven for relaxation; however I must say I do recognize your observations and we are looking at ways to how some of these impracticalities may be kept to a minimal. I am very pleased to see you enjoyed the food; this is something that continues to attract compliments & our team here at Jetwing Era Beach are developed to cater to your preferences, I am happy you were able to appreciate this.

Again, thank you for your comments and feedback; we hope we to welcome you back to Jetwing Era Beach in the future.

Robert Claesson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Hungarian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Theirs staff Ethan and others is really good,, just relax and enjoy. The only downside is that you can't swim in the sea since is rocky. There's drinks are good and Nice breakfast. This is a couples hotel mostly, a nice get a way...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is a great achievement to know we have lived up to your expectations; I will be passing your compliments along to the entire team for doing such a great job. I know this will support our endeavor to reach even higher standards. Thank you for this lovely review, the title says it all.

London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent 3 days here as part of a wider tour of Sri Lanka for my honeymoon. (please see my profile for other Sri Lankan recommendations).

The hotel is small (8 bedrooms) and as such each guest receives a high level of guest care. Ananda (the resident manager) and Ethan (guest relations) took time to chat to the guests and make them feel at home.

Era beach has a chic, exclusive feel. The postcard perfect beach is located at the end of the garden. It was lovely for strolls and was almost always deserted. The sound of the rolling surf is never far away and the hotel is so tranquil.

Our room was a sea view suite. It was of a large size and well appointed.

We enjoyed high quality meals at the hotel. The Sri Lankan breakfast is a treat (although this needs to be ordered the day before), the bar serves all day meals and the restaurant has both Sri Lankan and Western dishes.

Galle is close by and is an absolute delight, a must visit if in Sri Lanka.

We hope to return and spend a little longer here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crookle
Dear Guest,

First must come first, congratulations to you both on your wedding, we wish you a long life of happiness and joy together. Secondly I would like to thank you for leaving us with this lovely review of your experience and for allowing us to serve you on this special vacation. At Jetwing Era Beach the glorious surroundings and intimacy of the property create the perfect setting for a honeymoon escape. It is also this that allows our team to add that personal touch to the service they provide. I know they take pride in this and will be equally happy to hear their efforts are so well appreciated.
We hope to see you back here again in the future.

Qatar
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. We stayed there in February this year for 5 nights after having travelled around Sri Lanka. It was a wonderful end to our stay especially after travelling for so long and being so busy. The building is absolutely beautiful and my husband and I being a bit obsessed with buildings and building ideas took many photos. The pool is beautiful and its so intimate. There were no other children present when we stayed but our 4 yr old still enjoyed himself and had a super time in the pool. The beach is too dangerous with the waves coming in to swim there but the pool is fabulous and sea water i think. You can walk along the beach for a while and get some great pictures, see the crabs and the fishermen on sticks in the sea. The staff were great, reserved and let you alonen but are there to answer any queries or if you need any help. Nothing was a problem.

The restaurant food is fabulous and we ate there most nights although it is so nice to also go into Galle and eat there too. We loved this hotel so much that we are going back for a week just to this hotel again this June and booked it whilst we wer there with the manager.
Not sure of some of the bad reviews on this hotel, we certainly had nothing to complain about and we have stayed in a lot of hotels in many countries.

We had a driver during our stay in Sri Lanka and whilst there is no driver accomodation at Era as it is too small, the drivers can stay at the main Jetwing lighthouse in Galle. Our driver who is not fussy at all told us however that he and most other drivers could not eat at the Lighthouse Jetwing drivers quarters as the food was very poor for the drivers and most of them got sick. It was the worst drivers accomodation that he had experienced during our stays round Sri Lanka. this was a real shame and we did raise this as a problem to the management at Era.I guess the main Jetwing think there are too big to care about drivers quarters which is a real pity as this will not be good for their business should this not improve.

Room Tip: The upstairs sea view rooms are the best- the view is fabulous.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jetwing Era Beach later this year, your comments and feedback are a prize to our team here who will be waiting to greet you with smiles. The location, environment, and design of the property set the perfect ambience to relax and unwind and we like to give our guests the space to do so; however we are always keen to serve and provide to your every need, nothing is impossible.
I am very concerned to hear about the experience your driver had at Jetwing Lighthouse, as general manager of both properties I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I can assure you I will be looking into this further, drivers and guides are our guests as well and they deserve to be treated like a guest.
Aside from this I am very happy to that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you back in June.

Lima, Peru
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Era beach is one of the best boutique hotels my husband and I have ever been to. We were happy to book this place during the wedding of one of our friends and we truly enjoyed a relaxing holiday in the process. The pool was at the perfect temperature and it had a scenic view of the beach. Lounging by the beach chairs and bar area was ideal to beat the heat whilst sipping a king coconut. And My! was it hot when we got there!
We stayed for two nights at a sea view suite and then changed to a lobby room, the suite had the better bed but the lobby room was close to the pool so we enjoyed a refreshing dip in the morning. We were allowed to use the facilities at the Jetwing Lighthouse hotel but we wanted to chill and making the journey just to use a gym was too much for us.
The resident manager Mr.Ananda was accommodating in every way and arranged our breakfast packs on the morning when we did whale watching (this is highly recommended!). The whale watching excursions can be arranged from the Jetwing Lighthouse and make sure you get naturalist and expert Anoma to help you.
Make sure you tell the staff the night before if you want a Sri Lankan breakfast because it is delicious and what better way of tasting Sri Lankan culture with its yummy and spicy food. Don't worry if you can't handle the spice, you can tell the chef to tone it down.
Era beach is a nice place to chill, unwind and relax! No doubt with Jetwing managing the boutique hotel, everything here is first-class!
We would warn you that service can be a bit slow especially if you're late for dinner and you might have squirrels and crows trying to nibble at your food if you're not careful (especially during breakfast). You can dip your toes in the sea where a little gate separates you from the hotel but the area around is not really safe for swimming, a natural pool lies further North which you can use.
We want to thank Era beach's resident manager, his wonderful staff and Jetwing's PR manager for making our stay memorable.

Room Tip: All rooms are neat, clean and tastefully designed!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nilmadole
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave us with such a detailed review of your experience here at Jetwing Era Beach. I am overjoyed to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here with us, when I pass these compliments on to our team here this will most definitely give everybody a great sense of achievement and your contentment indicates that it is well deserved.

The whale watching excursion is an experience that really must be seen, Mr Anoma (our resident naturalist) is well equipped with the knowledge and enthusiasm to guide you out to these humble giants and make it an experience I am sure you will never forget. Once again it was a pleasure reading through this review and I thank you for your support and high recommendations.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Lovely and charming hotel directly to the coast with a marvellous view on the Indian Ocean. Walking on the beach under the palmtrees, it feels like bounty-island.
Hotel in modern style and design. Nice swimmingpool, not crowded. Rooms are perfect, big and comfortable; also the bathroom is clean. Good airco.
the chef cook is amazing; perfect meals. On our demand he makes a typical Sri Lankan breakfast for us: fantastic!
Mr. De Silva and his staff are very friendly and helpfull. Every night, our bed was made with flowers!
A very peacefull place to stay. We can recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChristianeB903
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at Jetwing Era Beach. Your comments and feedback are a great support to the entire team here who continue to put so much work and effort into delivering such a magical guest experience. Thank you again for your high recommendations and we hope to welcome you back to Jetwing Era Beach again in the future.

Pandora2210
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are currently on our last night at Jetwing Era and all I can say is that we are so sad to be leaving. Having arrived a week ago for a wedding in Galle, a number of friends (8) from around the world stayed at this hotel and as seasoned travellers, we all agreed that it is truly a home away from home. Mr Da Silva the manager, Lalitha and the other staff go above and beyond to accommodate our every request and everyone from the security guard to the barman (Dinesha) and the housekeeping staff (espcially!) are ready to serve with the happiest smile! The rooms are very modern, but are still sympathetic to the beach and colonial theme of the region. The bathrooms (with waterfall showerheads) are enormous as well! One of the great aspects of this place is the food. I've eaten at a number of places during our week here and other places at the Fort but none have come close to the cuisine here which is a perfect blend of Western and Sri Lankan. My favorite part? The tranquility. Even with a hectic week of wedding events to attend, the feel of peaceful retreat and sanctuary can be found here. Though we are leaving tomorrow, this place will always have a special place in our travel memoirs. Thank you again to the staff at Jetwing. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for this wonderful feedback from your experience here at Jetwing Era Beach, it is an absolute pleasure to read such positive comments from one of our guests and it is so rewarding to the team here who continue to readily serve and assist in delivering the highest in service excellence. The sprawling Dutch colonial style of the property certainly retains its character and charm; the glistening saltwater pool and sun loungers sat just above the gently tumbling waves really make it a sanctuary for peacefulness and relaxation. I am very pleased you were able to appreciate this even with the busy wedding activities, I will be passing along your compliments and on behalf of the entire team here at Jetwing Era Beach I would like to say how much we look forward to seeing you back here again.

Robert Claesson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Jetwing Lighthouse
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,391 reviews
Cantaloupe Levels
Cantaloupe Levels
#4 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Era Beach by Jetwing? Share your experiences!