“Perfect for relaxing but over priced”

Era Beach by Jetwing
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect for relaxing but over priced”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. It was definitely beautiful but not as great as we expected it to be. The rooms were beautiful and spacious but unnecessary. We stayed in the lobby room which was already large with a wardrobe etc, so I can only imagine what the deluxe rooms must be like. Although beautiful a definite waste of space.

When we booked our accommodation, we understood that a DVD player would be available. This wasn't the case when we go there and many of the channels on the tv did not work due to lack of payment from the hotel. At least this is what we were told.

I also felt the bathroom hadn't been cleaned well when we arrived. There was water all over the floor as if someone had just used it and it smelt really odd.

The food was fantastic but again VERY EXPENSIVE compared to other hotels around the area.

Overall, the stay was ok. I would say check it out if you are with a group of friends but I probably wouldn't stay there again... maybe if I was with a group

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hungarian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This beautiful hotel is built in a colonial style, lots of open spaces, umbrellas, wicker chairs, pillars, potted plants, great interior design, the restaurant and bar surround an infinity pool which all offer stunning views of the beach and sea. It was one of most luxurious places we've stayed in in our 6 years travelling around Asia. The decor is very tasteful and there are plenty of chairs or loungers for guests- hard to find a better bar in the area. There are only 8 rooms so you feel like you have free reign of the place. The beach is OK, sunset was spectacular, lovely views of palms, the sand being clean but the sea being a little too rough to swim in.

Service - although a little slow the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and attentive. We really, really liked the staff but you did have to wait quite a while to get their attention- but absolutely no worse than anywhere else in Sri Lanka. management were fantastic!
Value - the food was OK. lunch, bar prices okay but dinner was bit overpriced. However, they didn't add on service and tax which most places do in sri lanka. we found our final bill very reasonable. We would've like more Sri Lankan options including spicier curries on the dinner menu.
Sleep quality - bed was very comfortable and the hotel was generally quiet despite being situated on the A2 main road. Not really sure about complaints from other reviewers here - my husband is very sensitive to noise and we had zero problem sleeping at night. Bed was high and felt luxurious to us. bathroom was gorgeous! Air con was lovely, also not typical in Sri Lanka.
Cleanliness - the hotel was immaculately Clean.
Location - not a bad location. were really happy was far from unawatuna, close to wijaya beach restaurant, etc. Nothing within walking distance though. 5 mins tuk tuk to Unawatuna, 10 mins to Galle and 30 mins taxi to Mirissa.

All in all highly recommended if you want a peaceful, luxurious retreat next to the sea.

Room Tip: If possible avoid the lobby room as you can't open the curtains. However if thats's the only...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like thank you for such wonderful recommendations and for taking the time out to leave us with a review of your experience, it is truly gratifying. I am very pleased to see you were able to indulge yourself in the tranquil ambience of this enchanting colonial residence and make it a home away from home.

Your honest feedback is a great contribution to our development and advancement towards more efficient and personalised service standards and I am truly grateful for this. We hope to welcome you back for an even more pleasurable experience.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Era beach is a small 8 bedroom boutique hotel on the beach in Talpe, Sri Lanaka. The location is great and the design of the hotel looks visually very pleasing. As with most Sri Lankan hotels, service is extremely warm and genuine. The management
are also very approachable.

Whilst the architect / designers have built a great place for a photo shoot, the practical element has completely been overlooked. There are many design features, such as the very high bed, concrete open bathroom which makes this very dangerous for the very young or the elderly. I was traveling with both. Also in our room, the tv was blocked by one of the 4 posts from the bed. Whilst a tv is not essential for me, I did wonder the purpose of having one if you could not view it from the bed. The food was not fantastic. I tried both the western and Sri lankan themes. The pool looks good, but the beach is not suitable for swimming (rocks / strong tide).

I do often wonder how this island produces some of the most feared, aggressive cricket batsmen, but most in the hospitality industry rarely go beyond the second gear when serving clients. Yes, the warmth and genuineness are there, but results can be slow.

In summary, plenty can be done with this place, but as of now, I can only grade as average.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RazNe
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your honest comments. At Jetwing Hotels we continue to encourage feedback from all our guests; both positive and negative as this is the ideal method for examining our performance and identifying areas for improvement. We are constantly searching for new ways to provide our guests with an improved quality of service and comfort.

I am disappointed to hear that the property did not quite match your expectations. Designed by a protégé of the late Geoffrey Bawer; the sprawling colonial residence, beautiful views and serene ambience is something that all our guests seem to appreciate. However, I have taken a thorough note of all your comments and we are assessing any existing impracticalities to ensure every guest has a comfortable and pleasurable experience.

I would like to thank you for leaving us with this valuable feedback; I will be following up all your comments thouroghly. I hope we can welcome back to Jetwing Era Beach again soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Era Beach for a friends wedding, the Hotel was taken by the wedding party. My wife and I drew the short straw, our room was left of reception on the ground floor. Beware, believe it or not, no windows, damp, right next to main road traffic. We could not be moved as the hotel was full. The staff agreed it was very poor and they were not sure what to do with the room.
On our return home we wrote to Jet Wing and explained, no joy except their offer for two free nights next time we were passing by.
BEWARE OF THE GROUND FLOOR LEFT HAND SIDE ROOM, better known as the prison cell.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

As General Manager I am always looking to develop and advance our property further. I realize your concern and would like to apologise for any discomfort experienced during your stay at Jetwing Era Beach. It upsets me to hear we were unable to provide you with one of our sea view or garden suite category rooms, but as you mentioned this was subject to availability. However, it must be stated that we are examining the options in possible improvements so that our lobby room provides guests with the equal luxury of the property itself.

Thank you for your comments; I do hope to welcome you back to Jetwing Era Beach with the sincere promise of a more pleasurable experience.

Robert Clasesson
The Netherlands
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beautiful setting with exquisite pool and very helpful manager Ananda de Silva. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it as an ideal holiday destination for honeymooners. The food was great with a definite local flair.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Jetwing Era Beach; our goal is to provide our guests with the highest quality of Sri Lankan hospitality from arrival to departure. As a honeymoon destination; the limited number rooms, personalised service and intimacy of the property provides the perfect setting, not to forget the wondrous sunsets staged each evening which cannot be missed.

I will pass along your compliments along to Ananda for doing such a superb job. Thank you for your wonderful comments and I hope you choose to visit us again soon as I know everyone at Jetwing Era Beach would love to welcome you back.

Dubai
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had booked this hotel for our honeymoon expecting a very high standard of service for that kind of money & rating.
Upon our arrival there was no one to greet us or get our bags, we literally had to walk into an office and ask for help.
The manager did not welcome us, and blamed us for not informing them it was our honeymoon - even though it was clearly added to the booking form.
He grumpily took us to our room, did not know where the light switches where, did not show us how to use the safe or tell us when breakfast was or how to order room service - there were also no menus present in our room. We felt very unwelcome and immediately wanted to check out but were told it was going to be charged full rate.

The room :
-Mini bar on the floor covered in dirt inside...no alcohol inside.
-Impractical room, although the 4 poster bed was very comfy the room layout was illogical - for instance the TV was situated right in between the bed post ... we had to move the whole desk and wiring to see it. The TV had basic channels ... not something you would expect from a 5* and the volume kept lowering itself then suddenly becoming very loud!
-Room very dark, lighting very dim & one bedside lamp kept flickering.
-Kettle positioned no where near a plug socket, had to move & boil it on the floor
-WIFI connection was horrendous & kept dropping out
-Needed a re paint, corners were dusty and dirty
-No hand towels, bathroom gels and washes in pots impossible to get them out of.
-Wardrobe is useless, you cannot hang anything without creasing
+ The bed is very comfy, and the washroom is light and airy and very big
-Very noisy area

The Service
-Staff poorly presented in non ironed clothes and no name tags or smiles
-Staff spent most of the day lounging around on the chairs talking or on phones, no one ever seemed to be around when you needed a towel for the pool
-No one ever asked us if we wanted anything to drink / eat
-It took 45 minutes to get the total checkout bill, which was handwritten
-Food was generally good throughout the stay, however some breakfast items were missing from our meals & were served cold baked beans.
-Last meal we had there upset both our stomachs
-Pool never appeared to be cleaned, man cleaning side of pool was sweeping sand into it!
-We wanted some spa treatments but were told we would have to foot the bill to be taken to their sister hotel!

The hotel itself has miles of potential, the location and setting is nice. It just lacks any kind of soul. It is deathly quiet, no background music or atmosphere and the staff seem generally unhappy to be there. A revamp in management and staff is needed - I have never felt so unwelcome at a hotel. I have had better service in a 1*.

+They did try to make up for the lack of noting we were on our honeymoon by making the bed nice with petals for 2 nights and giving us a cake which was a nice gesture.

The hotel is called Era beach, however there is like 1 meter of beach which leads straight into dangerous rocks - so you cannot swim.

Overall a major disappointment after our special day, we spent 4 nights here & would have left immediately if it was not for the charge. We did leave one night early.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to begin by expressing my sincerest apologies regarding your recent stay at Jetwing Era Beach. It truly upsets me to hear that what was expected to be a memorable honeymoon was in fact not to your satisfaction.

The design and setting of the property itself is something that has attracted many compliments in the past, the atmosphere and ambience is set to provide our guests with a quiet retreat from the hustle and bustle of the nearby tourist expanses. However, as a result of valuable feedback such as yours, we are in the process of assessing any existing impracticalities, as it is our policy that guest satisfaction and comfort is the number one priority.

Furthermore; we take pride in delivering a more personalized service experience and it saddens me to hear you believe you did not receive the equivalent attention. I guarantee I will be looking into this further and making the necessary rectifications so that guests do not experience a similar situation in the future; I only wish you could have brought these issues up with one of the management team so that we could have provided you with more immediate attention regarding the issues you faced.
Again, please accept our apologies, I can personally assure you that each and every one of your comments is being thoroughly investigated and amendments are being made.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Loved this small boutique hotel. The rooms were nice and spacious. The food was excellent, both in terms of presentation and taste. It's a very quiet place but if you like a bit more life you can head towards the Lighthouse hotel. We were told that guests can opt to have meals at the Lighthouse hotel if they prefer to do so, as both hotels are under the same management. The hotel has a beach front which is rather private and peaceful. The salt water pool located in the middle of the premises is great. Ideal for those who want to just relax (not much activity around) and enjoy good food. Preferred the rooms upstairs to the ones downstairs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SwenJay
Dear Guest

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Jetwing Era Beach. We consider all feedback, both positive and negative to be highly beneficial to our advancement to a much higher standard.
The food is something that has been consistently attracting compliments, I will be sure to give Chef Kumara, our head chef and the rest of the team a pat on the back.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor, I hope you will return to Jetwing Era Beach soon for another wonderful experience.

Robert Claesson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Jetwing Lighthouse
#11 of 23 in Galle
Cantaloupe Aqua
Cantaloupe Aqua
#9 of 32 in Unawatuna

Been to Era Beach by Jetwing? Share your experiences!