“Relaxation heaven”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Dubai
“Relaxation heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Jetwing Era Beach for 5 nights, 10th - 15th October for a little birthday getaway and time out escape. Unbeleivable, Stunning, Paradise.
We where welcomed warmly by the manager, Ananda De Silva and his staff with cool towels and freshly squeezed fruit juice. Ananda was extremely professional and could not have done more to ensure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Chef Kumara served up some of the best food I have tasted yet, all done with the attention to detail you would expect from a top ranking restaurant anywhere in the world. The staff where warm and friendly, and attended to our every need efficiently, always with a smile. The hotel has only eight rooms which gives it a fantastic intimate warm Boutique feeling. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable and well attended to by the staff. The location couldn't be better, a few minutes by Tuk-tuk to Galle fort and some of the other local attractions and beaches. Surfing beaches are also just a few minutes away or can be done straight out in front of the hotel. If there was one fault it was the lack of a in house Spa, but that was taken care of by the ever efficient Ananda, who arranged a Spa treatment for us at the other Jetwing Hotel just a few minutes away. To sum it up, we had an unbelievable stay, it ticked all the boxes we where hoping for and would highly recommend this to any of our friends and family. We shall return, no doubt. Thanks for making this such a special stay.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are spacious quiet and have great views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted by how much you loved your stay with us and will most definitely be passing along your commendations to the entire team here at Jetwing Era Beach. I am confident these words will motivate and inspire everyone to improve standards even higher.

Thank you again for recommending us so highly, the entire team looks forward to welcoming you back here again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hungarian first
Colombo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were at era for two nights on our honeymoon. Right way, we received mediocre service at the reception which really needs some sprucing up if it wants to live up to it's 'boutique' standards. The place itself it luscious and beautifully relaxing. The architecture is open and there were less guests making us feel like we owned the whole place! The only downside of this is that we had to look high and low if we needed some proper service because the only 2 stewards seemed to run the whole place. Once particular steward was attentive to us, but as the shift changed, both the new ones were so SLOW and didn't know how to communicate properly and seemed really inadequate with their customer service. Possibly they were really young. No one seems to talk to the guests much at Era at all. We were left completely alone which is OK, but weird in long periods of time, or WE had to find service people when we needed something, and that took time.

We found the food EXCELLENT- compliments to the chef! They were also very accomodative with any changes we wanted for our meals.

Some negatives were that the A/C in our room kept switching off in the night and completely broke down the 2nd night. We informed them of the same and they said they would fix it. We went down for dinner and when we came back to the room, they had installed a industrial fan instead. We went down to speak to the gentleman in charge of guest 'relations' who just said it was not possible to fix the A/C and therefore the fan was installed. We then spent the night in a very balmy atmosphere with mosquitoes buzzing around us.

The room - we stayed in the 'sea view' suite which was really large and tastefully decorated. The rooms were not completely clean though, the bed head was a little dusty. There was also just one bathrobe which was strange for a honeymoon room and no soap.

The beach area was nice to relax in but there is a reef so a short walk left to a reef-less area is ok to swim in. The beach was a little dirty just around the same area... I think it should be cleaned up.. lot of plastic and rubbish.

Overall, we like being there, we loved the pool, the food and the ambiance. I think Era has great potential to be paradise but needs some urgent sprucing up.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us a review of your experience on Trip Advisor. As general manager of Jetwing Era Beach I am always looking to improve and advance our property to a higher standard. Your feedback has presented us with a valuable opportunity to assess our performance and identify areas for development.

I would like to start by apologizing for the mediocre welcoming you received upon your arrival, our associates are well qualified to provide an efficient, personalized style of service which is intended to create a unique experience for our guests; it disappoints me to hear you found this was not case in your experience. I also understand that you experienced some breakdowns; it is upsetting to see that this caused you some discomfort; guest satisfaction is our number one priority and although breakdowns do occur we try our best to get them restored as soon as possible.

I am pleased to see you appreciated the tranquil atmosphere of the property; its stunning setting is something all of our guests seem to enjoy. I will also be passing along your compliments to the Chef which will no doubt encourage the team to excel further in their performance.
Thank you again for your honest feedback, I hope that you will return again soon to find that your comments have been attended to and improved upon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stunning, stunning, stunning- what more can I say?
I stayed two nights here and enjoyed every second.
I was upgraded to a bigger room after the lock on my lobby room jammed, trapping me.
I preferred the lobby room, as i was traveling alone and it felt cosier. The other room was just too big for one person. However, it was still amazing!
The beds are my favorite thing- they are four posters and massive! You have to jump to get in to them.
This hotel has the most stunning outlook and the pool is just awesome! Would defiantly recommmend this place, though I'm not sure I'd pay the full rate thy normally ask to stay there. I got a discounted rate through Agoda.
The only downfall for me, since I was in Sri Lanka for work, was that the wifi was unreliable and didn't work that often. However, on the upside that gave me more time to relax :)
I alao had a late flight out of Colombo so they transferred me to a day room at their sister hotel, Jetwing Lighthouse, Galle to spend the day as they had a wedding booked at the hotel. This was done at no extra charge!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank NicolaBT
Dear Guest,

It delights me to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us here at Jetwing Era Beach, I am confident that as I pass your feedback along to the team, this will provide encouragement and inspiration to our associates that continue to devote their skills to ensure each and every one of our guests leaves satisfied.

Thank you for leaving us with this review on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Jetwing Era Beach in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at Era Beach for 2 nights during our honeymoon tour of SL. The staff decorated our bed with flowers so that was very welcoming following our trip from Colombo. The next day, they did it again, this time with cake! The breakfasts & dinners were lovely & good value. Infinity pool in centre of complex was great. Price a bit on the high side for the off-season, and unfortunate that the beach is tiny and unswimmable at this time of year. Ocean view room was also about 100 metres from the sea & you had look past the rooftop of the kitchen & dining area to see it, but would definitely recommend otherwise.

Dear Guest,

It is an absolute pleasure to have been able to live up to your expectations throughout this very special vacation of yours. At Jetwing Era Beach, its peaceful eminence and glorious surroundings make it a sanctuary for relaxation and an ideal setting for honeymooners.

Thank you for taking the time out to leave us with this positive review, your feedback is truly valued. We hope to see you back at Jetwing Era Beach again someday
Sincerely
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed in a garden suite. Don't let the name fool you! The doors open out all right - to a back wall and cement floors. Not a plant, leave alone a garden in site. The rooms are large, but lacking in character. A nice rug and painting would have helped. Very comfortable bed but you almost need a step ladder to climb on to it! My husband and I kept getting confused if we were staying at era beach or it's sister property, jetting lighthouse. All the room and bathroom amenities had the lighthouse logo and name! The beach was just terrible with glass bottles and general refuse. The food was ok and the service was so, so. The manager had an attitude problem, didn't bother to say goodbye to us which I felt was rude as he was standing right there. All in all NOT a great advertisement for jetwing hotels which has good properties elsewhere.

Dear Guest,

At Jetwing Hotels, we are always looking to further improve and develop our properties. In order to achieve this we place a high value on feedback from our guests, both positive and negative as this provides the key to evaluating our performance in the eyes of those who matter to us most.

Having thoroughly noted the points you have made regarding Jetwing Era Beach, I am very disappointed to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations; I will be following up all your suggestions to ensure guests do not experience any similar issues in the future.

Jetwing Era Beach is actually a boutique property managed by the Jetwing Lighthouse (located 12km away). It is the simplistic colonial elegance of the property which gives it its charm, there are only a small amount of rooms designed to establish the secluded, relaxed atmosphere. I believe that one of our rooms on the upper floor may have suited your taste better, however I can assure you your suggestions will not go overlooked.

It also upsets me to hear that you feel the service was not up to standard, we are determined that every guest leaves with a smile so I am grateful for your honest feedback and I will be focused on continuing to develop our team to deliver the service guests are promised. We hope you will return to experience first-hand that your comments have been addressed and improved upon.

Sincerely
kuala lumpur, malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. After arriving from the Tea trails, I think our expectations of standards had been raised to a much higher bar. So initially we felt quite let down with the rooms.

First let me start with a few negatives :
1. our room on the upper floor was spacious but dark and quite dimly lit. Several bulbs were not working when we arrived,probably because the ceiling was high.
2. The safe was not working but was repaired quickly
3. The roof over over toilet leaked
4. The room was not very practical : no storage space, couch for TV area uncomfortable and shabby.
5. Some staff were a bit slow to attend to things but pleasant
6. I think you cannot swim at this beach

The positives:
1. beautiful surroundings at pool and restaurant area....this is a major plus. i could have just relaxed outside and whiled away the hours. The view is lovely.
2. quiet and serene setting
3. just 8 rooms so it feels very intimate
4. Food was good and so were the cocktails and the friendly chef comes out to chat.
5. Several staff did try to rectify the problems quickly.
6.Bed comfortable and beautiful bathroom
7. Both managers are very attentive and helpful

I think they should spruce up the room a bit more . If you're out a lot during the day it's not much of a problem I'm not sure if this is good value for money ..... it is truly the setting and intimate quietness that won points for this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IsabelBV
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to appreciate the serene atmosphere of the property; the colonial style residence, glistening salt water pool and shadowing palms set the perfect ambience for a relaxing break in paradise.

To address the negatives, I would like to start by saying how it disappointments me to hear that you found your room was not fully up to customary for the time of your arrival. In terms of the practicalities I have taken note of all your points and will be looking into them further; your feedback is a vital key to both the development of our team and facilities. In response to your query, the beach directly in front of Era is not swimmable, however there is a perfectly swimmable area a short walk further down the beach, the famous Unawatuna bay is also just a 5 minute tuk tuk ride away.

Thank you again for leaving us with your comments, apart from the few improvements which will not be overlooked, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at Era Beach from 13th to 15th Aug 2012. This is a small boutique hotel with just around 8-10 rooms that has been taken over by Jetwings. We stayed in the Sea view room which is on the upper floor with a great view of the sea from the balcony. The property is small but the key is the fact that for most time you feel as if you are all alone with the entire villa to yourself. The sea is as close as it gets - you can see it from everywhere and it is just a few steps away from the pool and the restaurant. You can spend an entire day lazing on the beach chairs or in your balcony in the easy chairs watching the waves and the ships as they sail westwards. The beach however is largely unusable as the sea is very rough and the sand patch very small.
The rooms are large especially the seaview rooms and the four poster bed is huge. However the drawback is that rooms are very dimly lit so it becomes very difficult to read anything in the night. Also the rooms aren't well though of in terms of practicality with no luggage storage space provided. The tea/coffee maker is not a standard installation and has to be asked for but the hotel will provide it if you insist.
The food is the best that we had in Sri Lanka and is great value for money. The chef has worked in Dubai with some leading hotels and turns out a fabulous four course meal for dinner. It is best to choose half board as that will include dinner which is great value. Also you can ask the food to be served anywhere on the property - we had ours conveniently in our balcony which gives a very private feel.
To summarise it is a very good property if you dont like large crowded hotels and has a very relaxed feel. The hotel needs to spuce up the rooms a bit as that is the only small issue in an otherwise excellent property.

Room Tip: Choose the half board option in stead of bed and breakfast and insist to include dinner in half boar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Akshat1179
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Era Beach by Jetwing, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely positive comments on Trip Advisor. We value all feedback form all our guests, both positive and negative, as that is one of the best ways to evaluate where we stand in a guests perspective.

Jetwing Era Beach is located and designed to give a guest who patronises the property a relaxed and laid back experience, and the small number of rooms only add to this relaxed feel of the property. The tastefully designed pool only adds to the stunning design and layout of Jetwing Era Beach. The associates are well trained to offer very efficient and personalized service to all our guests to create a very unique experience. I also have noted down your points for improvement and will discuss them with the relevant managers, but I would like to point out that tea and coffee making facilities for each room have been implemented already to add to the guest experience.

The food has always been attracting compliments, and I am glad Chef Kumara was able to delight you with his meals. He is an asset to our team and I will no doubt pass these compliments on to him and the entire team in the kitchen.

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing Era Beach and also for your comments. The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to the South of Sri Lanka.

Robert Claesson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Jetwing Lighthouse
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews
Cantaloupe Levels
Cantaloupe Levels
#3 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Era Beach by Jetwing? Share your experiences!