“Awesome location, friendly staff and great potential”

Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing
Ranked #14 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Galle
Sydney
“Awesome location, friendly staff and great potential”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed one night at the villa. At the time of our stay there were some renovations taking place which meant that the two larger rooms upstairs were not available. However, we stayed at one of the rooms downstairs which had all the facilities we required, apart from adequate natural light.

The staff lead by Udara was brilliant and went out of his way to assist us during our stay including organizing some tours. All in all the hotel has so much potential, especially with its restaurent opening next week and a pool being on the drawing board. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don A
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

IT was our pleasure to have you with us, and I also want to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing and the dedicated team there lived up to your expectations and left you with a lasting impression.

I assure you that we are constantly striving to improve our property and also promise you that we are looking into ways of directing more natural light to the rooms downstairs which will no doubt greatly improve the ambiance of the rooms. The restaurant will be a great addition to Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, as it will add more character and also be a convenient option for some guests who stay at the property.

I look forward to having you back at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing in the future.

Robert Claesson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The villa is in the walled part of Galle Fort and could be a lovely property. Unfortunately it is definitely a work in progress and progress seems to have stopped. The room we had on the ground floor was uncared for (the wash hand basin was, blocked, two lights didn't work, one light wouldn't turn off) that kind of thing. We had booked on a half-board basis but were told dinner wasn't available at the villa and we would have to go (at our own expense) to the Lighthouse Hotel about 15 mins. away. When I complained the "manager" offered to split the cost 50/50. After a lot of arguing they agreed to provide transport free of cost. Wow!

During the day no one was ever around to provide drinks or look after you so the whole experience was a bit dismal. There are much better places to stay in Galle - a tent perhars?

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing. I am extremely sorry that your stay with us was overshadowed by the problems that you faced during your stay. At Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, we look to offer personalized service and offer a guest a relaxing and laidback atmosphere.

Small details such as the bulbs been replaced and blacked hand wash are things that must be looked in to and I truly want to apologize for and say that I am disappointed that you had to face such problems during your stay. I will look in to it personally and rectify your complaints plus make sure that in the future, guests don’t have to face issues like this as we do believe in providing value for money and to provide a guest with an experience that may only exceed their expectations, and not the other way around. I am also disappointed in the way your transport to Jetwing Lighthouse was handled, which I will inquire after and find an answer and then place a permanent solution in place as I believe that it is unacceptable. With a new restaurant that is about to open, I believe it would reduce the issues we face in relation to food.

Please do accept my apologies on behalf of the entire team at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, and I assure you that I will personally look in to your review and do my best so that future guests do not go through the same issues. We look forward to having you back with us when your travels bring you to Sri Lanka.

Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Housed in a lovely villa accented with deep, dark woods, the Galle Heritage Villa has a relaxing feel. The villa has only four rooms, which makes for a quiet atmosphere. First we had one of the two rooms on the ground floor - these are not ideal: small and lacking natural light. Then we were moved to one of the two rooms on the second floor - much better: bigger, brighter, natural light, huge bathroom and a terrace outside the front door for reading and relaxing. Be aware there is no kitchen on-site. You can have breakfast at their sister property - which is a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride away. It’s a tad inconvenient. The staff, while friendly, seemed like young boys with no adult supervision. They try to be helpful, but they would benefit from additional training.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing is a truly different property located within the historic Galle Fort. It offers a guest the perfect base to explore the Fort from and take in all the different cultures and sights from within this man made marvel.

Guest feedback is always received very positively by our entire team as we believe that it only helps us develop, regardless of whether it is positive or negative feedback. You would be very happy to hear that we are currently in the process of starting a restaurant with a fully functional kitchen, and with this expansion, in-house guests will be able to dine within the property itself as opposed to having to leave the property. The restaurant will open soon which we believe will make things more convenient for some. We are also constantly looking for ways to improve the property and the lack of natural light in the rooms downstairs seem to be a slight concern for a few guests and we will look at ways to improve this going forward to better guest experience.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor, and it will help us develop the property and the team we have at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing. I hope to see you back with us in the future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived at the Heritage Villa mid afternoon. It was very hot and we had been travelling for several hours. Our rooms were not ready. We had to leave our luggage and wander around for an hour or so. When we were shown our rooms, the two on the ground floor, we were not best pleased. No natural light and inadequate electric lighting, very depressing. The staff seemed to have no idea of how to look after us. Only one of them had sufficient English to communicate. We did manage a Tuk Tuk ride to the Lighthouse for a swim but both ways we had a tusstle to get the ride paid for as promised by Jetwing.
We asked for breakfast at 7am and in the event we had to ask several times for tea and we presented with a packed breakfast much later than we needed it. A packed breakfast was not acceptable. A banana, an apple, a boiled egg, cheese sandwich, a plain bagel and a small plain cake, no juice or water. We had stayed at Warwick Gardens earlier in our holiday and were delighted with it, such a contrast.
It was the last night of our holiday a real shame to take the memory of this below standard establishment. We stayed the night of 8th March.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Here at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing we look to create an extremely unique and enjoyable experience for all the guests who choose to stay with us. I am sad to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the experience and I apologize on behalf of the entire team.

I am shocked to hear that the associates were not able to match your expectations as most guests enjoy the personal and prompt service given to them at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing. I will be looking in to your feedback and see what exactly went wrong with the service during your stay as I believe that service is one of the most important aspects of giving a guest a great experience. We are also currently looking in to changing the breakfast packs and I will find out why juice or water was not provided as it is something that is meant to be included. I apologize for all of the bad experiences you seem to have had during your stay with us, and I would also like to let you know that the property is going through some major changes at the moment, and we will certainly look in to your feedback as a part of the change taking place.

I want to welcome you back to Galle Heritage Villa in the future as I believe that it is a unique property and I want you to enjoy the whole experience which I assure you will be better if you choose to visit us again. Thank you again for your feedback.

Auroville, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have you ever been to a hotel where the staff when asked for a feedback or a complaint form asked you to write on tripadvisor. How shameful can a hotel get? Yes, there is a hotel called Galle Heritage backed by the brand equity of Jetwings where this happened to me. From the outset, I was struck by the great silence and absence of service personnel here. They were never at call. You kept calling out to them and no one appeared. For 200 plus US dollars a day, one would have to come out sighing - Ah what a hotel. But this hotel made me lose my cool like none other had. There was no duty officer, no complaint book, no one to listen to you. For this kind of money charged it was impossible to condone the off and on internet for which the staff had no plausible answer. I find no guidance from anyone here for anything I might have wanted to know. My room did not even have a window. If you raised the screen you would lose all privacy all for 200 plus. Finally, the staff leaves my door open and there rush the mosquitoes. Never will I ever step into this property and never would I want any of my friends to step in here. There are such wonderful places all around some for 25 per cent of the costs. God save such places which believe in only charging and not contributing to the well being of the customer who has paid so much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
Firstly I want to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, as they are looked in to and used in developing our properties further. I am surprised with your comments on service and how unsatisfactory you found it to be, as at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, the service is one of the most appreciated areas by majority of the guests who patronize the property as reflected by the comments we do receive on Trip Advisor as well. I will look in to your complaints personally and I assure you that they will not affect anyone in the future. I am also shocked that you were not handed a feedback form as we have them available for guests to leave us feedback regardless of whether it is positive or negative. I would like to apologize on behalf of the team at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing for all the issues you faced during your stay, and I thank you for your feedback as that will help us look in to this and make sure no gust in the future goes through the same problems.

I hope you reconsider your decision to visit us in the future as I assure you that you will see the different side to Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing I speak of and I would look forward to welcoming you back.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

A great place to stay especially due to its upscale appearance. The place has only four rooms so expect a personalized stay where crowds do not show up. A very clean environment and cleanliness throughout the place. A good bathroom well equipped and having a good steady water flow in the shower. Another plus is that it is situated in the heart of the Old Fort just 2 minutes away from the fort bastions and the great indian ocean.

The downside is that it does not have a restaurant or spa so you are recommended to go to their bigger location about 3km out of town.

Overall it is probably the place to stay overall in the Fort area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Nestled within the famous Galle Fort, Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing provides a guest with an ideal location to explore Galle from. With different cultures, tastes, sights, and sounds coming together to create this unique experience within the Fort, there is little doubt as to why this is such a popular attraction. The property is very different in its own way, extremely cozy and the team provides extremely personalized service to add to the experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and also for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We hope to see you back at Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing in the future and I look forward to seeing you then.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Not only is it the most amazing hotel in Galle Fort, but the staff is out of this world.
Especially the Manager Andrew - Anything you need he is there to help you out.
I traveled through Sri Lanka for 3 weeks and have to say this is the best place we stayed!!
I very strongly recommend this please if you’re planning to stay in the Fort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor. At Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing, we provide a guest with a completely different experience and I am glad you enjoyed it. The service makes a huge difference to a guests experience at a property and I am glad the team at the property lived up to your expectations.

I also want to thank you for choosing Galle Heritage Villa by Jetwing and I look forward to having you back when your travels bring you to Sri Lanka.