“Lovely little guesthouse”

Ranked #30 of 137 Galle B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely little guesthouse”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This place is deservedly popular. It's in a fantastic spot slap bang in the middle of the Fort, the owners are charming and the food is absolutely delicious! The Fort Inn may be relatively basic in terms of amenities but it is clean and excellent value for money.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This place is so perfectly situated in the Old Fort of Galle that I wasn't too bothered with anything else when I arrived. You can then imagine how happy I was to have been put in their top attic room, which has a fantastic cooling breeze through the windows and on to the private balcony outside the door. The views were also fantastic - basically a 270 degree view from the various windows (including the bathroom with hot shower) over the ancient rooftops of the Fort. A wonderful, peaceful room that had everything that I needed (see my pictures of the room and views from the room).

The owners are charming people and their little 5 year old son, Chanul is a bundle of energy (hint: give him your iPad and turn on the Photobooth application so he can watch his face get stretched and twirled!). They were always on hand to help with anything and just to sit and chat to. Really nice, welcoming people.

Lastly, while the Western breakfast is perfectly adequate and in-line with most that I had while travelling through Sri Lanka, their specially prepared Sri Lankan breakfast was sensational! I highly, highly recommend that you ask the day before to have this breakfast the next day.

All in all, a most enjoyable stay, beautiful room and wonderful people. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Top floor attic room has it all - try and get this room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Firstly I want to say thanks for Rasika (the owner), her husband and her uncle who made our staying in fort inn guest house very comfortable and interesting.

For the first time we planned to stay in Galle only one night but after spending one day in that amazing place decided to get back at the end of our trip to Sri Lanka. The town was really impressed me, seems like you are in Europe in 17th century. People are not allowed to create new buildings there so everything is ancient and exciting.

Speaking about the hotel I must tell that there was the best suit that I stayed in Sri Lanka. You can ask the room in the new place, suits there are very clean and cosy like in good 5 star hotel. If you prefer to dip into ancient times you can stay at the main building, I have tryed both and still dont determine what was he best.

It has 5 star rating on tripadvisor and that is true!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fort Inn for two or three nights in May of 2012 and couldn't have been more pleased. As any experienced traveler will tell you, the people you meet along your journey provide some of the most rewarding experiences of any journey, and this was certainly the case during our stay in Galle. The location is perfect (right in the heart of Fort), the rooms comfortable and clean, and the food excellent. But it is the family that owns and operates the Fort Inn that make this guest house such a pleasure to stay in.

The husband and wife couple and their five year-old son showed us such a high degree of generosity and warmth during our stay that will likely remember them fondly for the rest of our lives. They assisted us in planning our days in Galle as well as our onward travel, and were incredibly accommodating to our other needs. In particular, my wife and I had decided to adopt three stray puppies from Sri Lanka, which we had with us at the time. The family happily took them into their own room and insisted that they stay with them so that we weren't crowded in our room.

Regarding the food, the owners are outstanding cooks and serve excellent Sri Lankan cuisine. We ate at a number of places with very good food inside the Fort area, including Mama Galle's Roof Top Inn and other recommended restaurants, but the Fort Inn easily served up the best rice and curry in town. The shrimp curry was particularly memorable.

We spent one month in Sri Lanka, which came at the very end of a nine-month journey abroad for my wife and I. Our time in Galle and at the Fort Inn was, without doubt, one of the highlights not only of our month in Sri Lanka, but the entire nine-month trip. My wife and I can not recommended the Fort Inn enough. We look forward to returning again one day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Benfleet, Essex
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Fort Inn Guest House, along with its sister establishment, the Pedlar Guest House, just across the road provided a pleasant stay in the quiet, atmospheric Dutch Fort area of Galle which is so different from other Sri Lankan urban areas. Our room had been recently decorated and although it lacked a TV, it was perfectly adequate for the price paid. The owners, Rasika and her husband, were invariably cheerful and charming, and keen to provide advice. Breakfasts were plentiful with fruits, eggs and toast / jam or the Sri Lankan version.

In the vicinity of the guest house are a range of restaurants, again not typical of Sri Lankan towns. Sunday afternoon / evening saw many locals take advantage of the areas arounf the walls for picnics, walks, kite-flying and games of cricket which provided entertaing viewing. If beach activities are low priority, would recommend that the Fort in Galle is a far more rewarding place to stay than Unawatuna.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colombo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was looking for a clean, warm and comfortable place to stay in Galle, with no surprises and no worries about being ripped off. Fort Inn is that place, and I would stay here again if I pass by Galle. The owners, a cute Sinhalese couple with a young child, are very hospitable and accommodating. I inquired about finding a bicycle to rent and they went out of their way to get their bike in operating condition.

The room was great! Very comfortable bed, with clean sheets and pillows. Shower pressure was strong and the water hot. They put me at the roof-top level, giving me superb privacy and sea-view from South, West and East windows. You can even see the famous Galle lighthouse! In short, this place was a blessing and I'm happy I stumbled upon them. Price was very fair (and I compared many guesthouses). Stay here and you won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was an excellent place to stay, especially if you are young or a back-packer. We were a couple of retirees and found the rooms a little too small. There was a rather bizarre arrangement in one of the room whereby you mounted a small ladder and sat perched at a table about 3ft above the ground. Also the stairs were steep and narrow. But the couple who run the guest house are so friendly and helpful and Rashika is an excellent cook. Breakfast was a delight with generous helings. It was most pleasant sitting on the balcony overlooking the street. We chose to have an evening meal there and werent disappointed. In all, we were glad to have selected this place when there are so many to choose from in Galle.

Room Tip: We preferred a room at the back rather than one the street but it did leave us exposed to the calls...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends