Fort Inn Guest House
Lady Hill(Galle)
$111
$88
HotelQuickly
All reviewsair contuk tukbalcony overlookingtop floorper nightrooms are smallfresh fruitplenty of hot waterfantastic locationnice staystayed two nightsrasikafortfridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Firstly I want to say thanks for Rasika (the owner), her husband and her uncle who made our staying in fort inn guest house very comfortable and interesting.

For the first time we planned to stay in Galle only one night but after spending one day in that amazing place decided to get back at the end of our trip to Sri Lanka. The town was really impressed me, seems like you are in Europe in 17th century. People are not allowed to create new buildings there so everything is ancient and exciting.

Speaking about the hotel I must tell that there was the best suit that I stayed in Sri Lanka. You can ask the room in the new place, suits there are very clean and cosy like in good 5 star hotel. If you prefer to dip into ancient times you can stay at the main building, I have tryed both and still dont determine what was he best.

It has 5 star rating on tripadvisor and that is true!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fort Inn for two or three nights in May of 2012 and couldn't have been more pleased. As any experienced traveler will tell you, the people you meet along your journey provide some of the most rewarding experiences of any journey, and this was certainly the case during our stay in Galle. The location is perfect (right in the heart of Fort), the rooms comfortable and clean, and the food excellent. But it is the family that owns and operates the Fort Inn that make this guest house such a pleasure to stay in.

The husband and wife couple and their five year-old son showed us such a high degree of generosity and warmth during our stay that will likely remember them fondly for the rest of our lives. They assisted us in planning our days in Galle as well as our onward travel, and were incredibly accommodating to our other needs. In particular, my wife and I had decided to adopt three stray puppies from Sri Lanka, which we had with us at the time. The family happily took them into their own room and insisted that they stay with them so that we weren't crowded in our room.

Regarding the food, the owners are outstanding cooks and serve excellent Sri Lankan cuisine. We ate at a number of places with very good food inside the Fort area, including Mama Galle's Roof Top Inn and other recommended restaurants, but the Fort Inn easily served up the best rice and curry in town. The shrimp curry was particularly memorable.

We spent one month in Sri Lanka, which came at the very end of a nine-month journey abroad for my wife and I. Our time in Galle and at the Fort Inn was, without doubt, one of the highlights not only of our month in Sri Lanka, but the entire nine-month trip. My wife and I can not recommended the Fort Inn enough. We look forward to returning again one day.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Fort Inn Guest House, along with its sister establishment, the Pedlar Guest House, just across the road provided a pleasant stay in the quiet, atmospheric Dutch Fort area of Galle which is so different from other Sri Lankan urban areas. Our room had been recently decorated and although it lacked a TV, it was perfectly adequate for the price paid. The owners, Rasika and her husband, were invariably cheerful and charming, and keen to provide advice. Breakfasts were plentiful with fruits, eggs and toast / jam or the Sri Lankan version.

In the vicinity of the guest house are a range of restaurants, again not typical of Sri Lankan towns. Sunday afternoon / evening saw many locals take advantage of the areas arounf the walls for picnics, walks, kite-flying and games of cricket which provided entertaing viewing. If beach activities are low priority, would recommend that the Fort in Galle is a far more rewarding place to stay than Unawatuna.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was looking for a clean, warm and comfortable place to stay in Galle, with no surprises and no worries about being ripped off. Fort Inn is that place, and I would stay here again if I pass by Galle. The owners, a cute Sinhalese couple with a young child, are very hospitable and accommodating. I inquired about finding a bicycle to rent and they went out of their way to get their bike in operating condition.

The room was great! Very comfortable bed, with clean sheets and pillows. Shower pressure was strong and the water hot. They put me at the roof-top level, giving me superb privacy and sea-view from South, West and East windows. You can even see the famous Galle lighthouse! In short, this place was a blessing and I'm happy I stumbled upon them. Price was very fair (and I compared many guesthouses). Stay here and you won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was an excellent place to stay, especially if you are young or a back-packer. We were a couple of retirees and found the rooms a little too small. There was a rather bizarre arrangement in one of the room whereby you mounted a small ladder and sat perched at a table about 3ft above the ground. Also the stairs were steep and narrow. But the couple who run the guest house are so friendly and helpful and Rashika is an excellent cook. Breakfast was a delight with generous helings. It was most pleasant sitting on the balcony overlooking the street. We chose to have an evening meal there and werent disappointed. In all, we were glad to have selected this place when there are so many to choose from in Galle.

Room Tip: We preferred a room at the back rather than one the street but it did leave us exposed to the calls to prayer from the nearby mosque.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends