“HAMLET”

Jetwing Kurulubedda
Ranked #3 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Galle
Reviewed January 8, 2012

KURULU BEDDA – “HAMLET”
As a continuation of the article “ Traveller’s Tale” which described our travel “ in June 2011” to Sri Lanka after touring in Thailand ,this episode relates visiting an eco retreat model village called “ Kurulu bedda” in the close vicinity to the city of Galle and also making a short trip to see the Martin Wicramasinghe museum near Koggala – old Air Base .
‘Kurulu Bedda’ means literarily , a jungle environment set aside for a bird sanctuary.
‘Kurulu -Paluwa ‘ has been constructed for a different purpose. According to Dr Cyril Kariyawasam from university of Ruhuna , when paddy farmers prior to cultivating their rice fields , they set aside a small area for birds. About two weeks before starting to work on their main paddy fields, the village farmers collectively cultivate a small area for birds and insects. Birds and insects get used to feeding the paddy of this small area. Once the birds form a habit of eating paddy in this small area, they never bother to seek another area for their feeding. This is how village farmers have protected their main paddy fields from destruction by birds. Literarily , Kurulu Paluwa means “ the area devastated by birds” .
As I stepped into this model village , Kurulu bedda , my mind went back to over seventy years with re collection of my father’s vegetable garden. He developed the vegetable garden (“Elavalu Koratuwa” ) during his spare times. We as young boys (Six brothers ) had to work with him after school and during week-ends .
This kurulu bedda hamlet reminded me of my childhood days. Vegetable “ koratuwa” with plants that creep along ground and up (“ messa”) wooden structures with vege – fruits hanging seemed you are in a different world; especially the little cottage made of mud and bamboo walls with thatched roof, a small dwelling which has been built by the side of the model paddy field, take you back to your childhood days. There are no such dwellings to be seen in our village or other suburbs of Galle nowadays. Buffalo grazing in pasture and monkeys on fruit trees give an added attraction to the model village. Surrounding the jungle area of the village there are hundreds of birds singing and flying in flocks. An expert resident naturalist , has recorded over 56 species of birds in the area. We were invited to assist the farmers with the cultivation of the paddy and harvesting of the many variety of vegetables grown.
Kurulu bedda is part of the (Jet wing ) Lighthouse Hotel and is only a ten minutes boat ride up the Mahamodara river from the Hotel. Elevated wooden decked walkways took us to see the beautiful areas of the model village. The historic city of Galle is within a fifteen minute drive from Kurulu bedda .We spent a day here with the eco tranquil environment, while my family members engaged in other activities , I was meditating on ‘meththa’ ( loving kindness to all living beings ) and calming the mind thereby rejuvenating my brain cells.
Dr.Karu Liyanaratchi O.A.
M; JP

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Karu L
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am really happy to have just read your review on Trip Advisor, and thank you for the feedback. This feedback helps in developing our team and facilities better, so every review is very important to us.

The team here at Jetwing Kurulubedda is very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We have put together the villas at Jetwing Kurulubedda to give the guests a secluded and tranquil eco friendly space to relax, and rejuvenate themselves; we are pleased that guests are doing just that. The boat ride to the property and the wooden walkways that lead guests towards the two villas have been strategically built to give our guests the best experience possible and to allow them to take in the most out of the surroundings of the property. We also believe it is important that the surroundings are taken care of and maintained very carefully to make the Jetwing Kurulubedda experience one to remember. All this, along with the very modern and luxurious villas are sure to leave you with memories that last a lifetime.

We thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to having you back with us, when your travels bring you back to the stunning Southern coast of Sri Lanka.

Robert Claesson

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Please do not book this place. Lots of mosquitoes, overpriced US$500 per night, the landscape was not looked after and the grounds are unsightly. No remote control, must borrow form next door villa, only have 2 villa in a small area. You cannot go anywhere because the area is small. This place is right next to a village. Behind the villa there is a house and I can hear people talking, coughing and etc. I told the GM about my feedback he said it was my own opinion and other people loved it!! If you don't believe me do try it yourself. With such a price that we are paying we should deserve better service, luxury in the living area and surrounding area. With this price go to Amangalla instead where it is really luxury and good service!!!! Wanted to go there but fully booked. My compliment to the GM is upon my request he quickly looked into moving me out of Kurulubedda.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra H
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Jetwing Kurulubedda is our hidden wilderness gem. It is a private two villa property located in the middle of a mangrove forest partially surrounded by the “ging ganga”, one of Sri Lankan’s main water arteries. It is also partially surrounded by a typical Sri Lankan village, based around a temple less than a hundred meters away.

It is a truly unique property unlike any other. Yes, there are mosquitoes outside. As it’s a property within a riverside forest, this is to be expected. However, your room is sealed and air-conditioned for this exact reason. Mosquito nets are provided on your terrace should you wish to spend the night outdoors. No, there are no gardens, however this is very much part and parcel of the concept of Jetwing Kurulubedda which is a greatly self sufficient property growing a majority of the fruits and vegetables used in its cooking and offered to its guests. As is evident by all the other reviews, all our guests love the truly unique location, concept and the personalized care Jetwing Kurulubedda offers. We are truly sorry you did not feel the same way.

We are glad we were able to accommodate you in another of our fine properties a little closer to your liking and we do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Sri Lanka’s amazing southern coast.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

Jetwing Kurulubedda is an out of this world experience. Set by the side of a mangrove, it is definitely at home with nature. The tranquility is amazing and the oneness with nature is wonderful. You could constantly hear the chirping of some type of bird and event at times the calls of monkeys. Kurulubedda has its own vegetable/fruit patch and even a small rice field, which has organic produce. The dwellings are amazing, with a cool plunge pool on the ground floor and a timber floored room on the 1st floor. The amenities of the dwelling are great and will satisfy everyone. Sujith and Marage are the two caretakers at Kurulubedda who will do anything to make sure you feel at home. Sujith cooks the most amazing meals and Marage does a wonderful job tending to the place. Sujith is also well versed on nature and can give you an insightful walk around the location.

It is definitely a nature lovers paradise. My only complaint is that we only stayed one night. Definitely will be back for some more of this nature haven.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rusiru A
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am always amazed by how alien Jetwing Kurulubedda seems to the hustle and bustle of Galle, Sri Lanka’s fifth largest city, though the two are a mere two kilometers away from each other. You can at one moment be amidst a sprawling bazaar of a thousand people and in minutes be transported to the tranquility of a riverside mangrove forest where you’d be hard pressed to hear another human voice other than those of Sujith and Marage. I will be sure to give them both a pat on the back next time I see them.

Thank you posting your experience on Trip Advisor and please do come back again for a longer stay. Call ahead and we will make sure Sujith has lunch ready when you arrive and Marage is waiting at the gate to greet you with his signature smile.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed in Kurulubedda for 2 nights in November 2011 with my wife and two kids (2 and 4 yrs). They advised me not to take the kids as it is not child friendly, but both my wife and myself were determined to take the kids. We were very careful not to allow the little one to step out side without us but no unforeseen dangers.
It is a very nice place. It very calm and tranquil, you hear the birds and that’s it. There is a small pool in the chalet in which you can cool off. You can see a fair collection of birds as the name suggests, some of them will be seasonal. If possible ask them to get you the KIRALA drink which is awesome.
Take mosquito repellants if you cannot tolerate them. The hotel provides them as well, but what I did was sprayed citronella oil in the room around 5PM and closed everything by 6PM and no mosquitoes. If it rains there isn’t much you can do.
If you are a person who likes a lot of variety in your food I suggest you go to Light house and enjoy the buffet else you can get what you want from the hotel.
The staff is very good, they have the desire to take care of you. Overall it’s money well spent

Room Tip: There are only two rooms that isnt much of a choice
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bhanu K
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your beautiful review. We are thrilled that you had such a pleasant stay at our hidden, mangrove-forest retreat.

We are always a little hesitant to recommend Jetwing Kurulubedda for kids due solely to the fact that the railing surrounding your chalet in very low and we have concerns regarding children tripping.

Jetwing Kurulubedda is truly a wonderful introduction to Sri Lanka’s amazing lower wetlands and I’m glad your children were able to experience firsthand the remarkable varieties of birds, insects and lizards this beautiful island has to offer. All that aside, I personally love to just sit near the gazebo close to the river and watch mother nature with a nice cool glass of Kirala in hand. Kirala is also a special southern delicacy you would rarely experience in the city. I am very happy that you were able to do all these things during your recent stay with us.

It has been our utmost pleasure having you stay with us and we do hope you will return in the years to come.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This place is really special. Both villas set amidst a mangrove forest and working farm, where F & V for main hotel (Jetwing Lighthouse) are grown.

Manoj Silva (so hospitable) greeted me when I arrived at the stunning main hotel (check out the staircase inside) and told me I'd take a boat there, which was a lovely trip down the river.
Getting off the boat, I stepped into a wonderland, wooden boardwalk under aerial mangrove branches, with a little pavillion before main welcoming area. I was introduced to Marage, who works the farm and offered welcome drink of wood apple juice and lotus flower and gave me an awesome tour of farm. Manoj had driven round with my bags and came to show me my villa.

Each villa is set on stilts, wooden/concrete/steel construction, with unique design as lower level is concrete and tile private plunge pool (heavenly). Lodging extremely comfortable, with huge exterior balcony with comfortable furniture, though chaise lounge was broken. Inside is small but very clean and well-appointed. Although, who needs tv when you've got all this natural beauty and wonderful people to experience? Big, comfortable bed. Only negative: fairly small room size and no place to put your bags.

Bathroom huge, gorgeous. But beware: not exactly indoors. You go through door to leave bedroom and bath has no A/C (no big deal, but could be unpleasant when it's really hot as in the summer), walls of wooden slats, so insects get in. I had many ants and a gecko, though seems par for the course when travelling in Sri Lanka, even most luxurious hotels have ants. But mosquitoes can also get in of course. I wish bathroom had better lighting. You're provided with gorgeous bathrobes, everything you need.

Shared my plunge pool with treefrogs on concrete steps, saw eagles, parrots, tons of bats (yay!), mud crabs, viewed wildlife at sunset and in morning, ate a fabulous dinner in main hotel (best buffet of all the places i stayed), had a great breakfast cooked for me by Sujith (he and Marage are two of the nicest dudes ever and Sujith joined me for some birdwatching and silly-photo-taking), got a grand tour of main hotel by Manoj (also super nice person) and was generally treated like visiting friend, though with amazing privacy. I LOVED this place.

My only regrets: spending just one night and not having my boyfriend with me because this place was very romantic.

Thanks to Manoj, Marage and Sujith and to restaurant staff!

Can't speak to value because I had a package tour of Sri Lanka, so don't know how much this particular stay actually cost.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us such a wonderfully detailed review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. Your words fill me with pride regarding my team. It is certainly a wonderful location, with a lot to do and see, especially for the nature-loving traveler.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the broken lounge chair. It has been addressed. It is certainly difficult to keep ants away, especially in a location like Kurulubedda without resorting to chemical insecticides which we avoid at all costs. The geckos however, are considered lucky and we like having them around as they are excellent at eating any stray mosquitoes that find their way into your rooms. The lights on your stairway are a beacon to insects and with them, come the tree frogs who like to cool off in your plunge pool.

I am thrilled you loved your stay with us. I shall personally commend Manoj, Sujith and Marage for their excellent service. Please do come again and bring along a loved one. Please contact us ahead of time and we’ll ensure you have a truly romantic getaway to be long remembered.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in this wonderful tree tops room accommodation. A great Eco getaway that is very comfortable and peaceful, with wonderfully personalized service. We were able to request specific dishes from the chef and the staff were very attentive and hospitable. Overall outstanding service, wonderful food and a beautiful setting!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank suzi143
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We like to offer our guests absolute freedom and one of the ways we accomplish that is by throwing out the conventional menus and meal times. Guests are welcome to wonder our garden with the chef and pick their own vegetables, to have them prepared any way they like and at whatever time they feel like dining. We are glad you enjoyed this and the many other unique aspects of our lovely eco-villa and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

My wife and i were on our honeymoon and we were looking for a romantic and luxurious location, not only with a beautiful view and great food but also a quiet and peaceful environment. Kurulubedda was the Perfect Find. Tucked away from the busy city centre of Galle, the concept is built around two chalets, designed by one of Sri Lanka's leading architects Channa Daswatte. They are perched in the middle of a forest bordering a river conservation. In fact, entrance to the chalets are by boat. The chalets are modern in design with all five star facilities including Air Conditioning, Cable TV, an up to date DVD collection etc. The rooms are large and the bathroom is even larger. It didn't have a Jacuzzi, but instead there is a private plunge pool in each Villa. The service of the staff is superb. Basically the chef cooks what you want, whenever you want. Be it Sri Lankan, western or eastern, this guy can cook anything and the portions are huge. You can choose to dine where ever you want, under the stars, near the river, in your chalet or at the restaurant overlooking the chalet. Unlike a big five star hotel, what Kurulubedda offers is privacy, luxury and warm hospitality. It's that personal touch that makes them stand out from the dozens of five star hotels in Sri Lanka. They had even prepared a surprise for us each night. You must also do the boat ride. I would highly recommend a two nights stay if you really want to enjoy the experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SurenGnanaraj
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Kurulubedda, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I’ll be sure to pass on your kind comments to Chef Sujith and his team. Our goal with Kurulubedda is to provide our guests with all the luxuries Jetwing Hotels are know for, as well as the tranquil serenity of Sri Lanka’s lower wetlands. We are glad that as a guest, you feel we have achieved this objective.

Thank you for staying at Kurulubedda and we hope to see you again soon.