“Chilled out and beautiful”
Review of Ambalama Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galle
Ambalama Villa
Ranked #8 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Galle
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed here for 6 days and we could not have picked anywhere more perfect. There are so many villas to choose from and it took us ages to decide but from the moment we arrived we knew we'd made the right choice - Ambalama is by such a wide margin the coolest villa on the beach. There were only two of us so they gave us a great rate, and the owner and staff were absolute gems. Service is slow but sweet and the pace of life is so laid back here that you feel you've gone into slow motion - the perfect relaxation holiday. The villa is impossible to describe - the pool and the beach and the view and the sunsets - it's a little piece of heaven. We spent almost every evening at Wijaya Beach bar, which is just a hop skip and a jump over some rocks and is the nicest bar in the area. It was our anniversary and they presented us with a bottle of moet to say congrats - which was very much appreciated! Everyone here goes the extra mile, and it's the perfect place to stay. Cannot imagine there is anywhere better in Sri Lanka. Possibly not anywhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed here for 8 days after Christmas with 3 kids 4,7,9 and couldnt recommend it more highly. Staff were excellent - food the best we had in SL (local and Western), and everyone made us feel very welcome. Tears-when-we-said-goodbye type thing. Location v good, 5 mins walk from the brilliant lagoon at Wijaya. DONT swim outside the villa - a neighbour drowned when we were there (alcohol involved i think) but dont let that put you off - we had no problems with kids straying off etc.

The villa itself is stunning, if a little shabby chic. Great pool. Truly the nicest staff we came across. Loved it. Very highly recommended but, errrr, dont tell anyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hendog999
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I did not regret travelling the distance from Sigiriya to Galle, mostly thanks to my stay at Ambalama villa. Best villa on that stretch of beachfront living, in my humble opinion. I was fortunate to be spared a room at the last minute.
Everything was taken care of the moment I enter e villa. I felt safe and was able to relax with the arduous journey long forgotten.
The staff were friendly and efficient. Had the best Sri Lanka crabs by Gayan ala take home chef style. He arranged for the live crabs to be brought to the villa for my selection, i bought the lot. Then there were the curries!!
The only downside is you have to set aside more time as you would not want to leave the villa for long. Every trip out to the fort, tea plantation, boat ride, turtle watch, and shopping gets more challenging when I just want to unwind by the villa's beautiful pool.
Another interesting observation is that the villa has no signage but ask any locals or tuk tuk driver and they would point you to the right direction.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed February 3, 2012

When I set out for Ambalama I was full of plans to "do things". Instead, I relaxed so quickly into this luxusious accommodation that I quickly abandoned most plans to much more than relax, swim, read and enjoy the excellent food and service.

Ambalama has all the "pluses" of a five star hotel - plus tranquility and a wonderful location. I'll definitely be back!

Robert G

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We spent 2 glorious weeks at the Ambalama villa in September 2011. The location of the villa was directly on the coast and the grounds and pool for the villa were kept immaculate. The holiday was completely stress free and the staff at the villa looked after us particularily well. Roshan the chef was a excellent cook and we enjoyed joining him to do the daily food shop. All the food was freshly cooked and we dined like kings for the duration of our stay. Tai arranged our pick up from the airport(air con vehicle) completely hassle free and he arranged for a masseur to come to the villa, a fabulous indulgence and he also helped organise some day trips to see elephants(Magnificent) and the tean plantation. We felt that we were thoroughly spoilt and that the team looked out for us. For anyone who leads a busy life and is looking for complete relaxation and pampering I would highly recommend it. You can choose to do as little or as much as you like but quite honestly we really didn't want to leave the villa for too long and when ever we returned from a trip we felt like we were coming home. A fantastic find

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Caroline D
AmbalamaVIlla, Manager at Ambalama Villa, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2011

Hi Caroline,

Very sorry for the delayed response but I am so glad and happy that you had a great stay at Ambalama Villa. You were the perfect guests that no villa owner could ever hope for and we really do look forward to your return visit.

You will be pleased to know that we have instituted various procedures to further improve the quality of service and accommodation and we have now completely sealed all our bedrooms with glass and timber shutters, and the air-conditioning works perfectly. They are all constantly serviced and work very well.

Roshan's repertoire of dishes continue to widen whilst refining his knowledge of what he already knows. I am only glad that I don't eat there daily as I will balloon like a whale if I did, knowing how amazing his food is. He is a true gem.

Thank you again for your kind comments, your very generous tips and season's greetings and all the best wishes for the coming New Year. Enjoy the last week of 2011!!!!

Reviewed September 27, 2011

To echo the reviews already stated below – Ambalama Villa is simply heaven on earth. Chris and Nick – thank-you so much for the wonderful stay. Everything was simply amazing – from the excellent service to the mouth-watering and beautifully presented food – from the cleanliness, spaciousness and uniqueness of the rooms to the aesthetic beauty of the villa itself, it was sublime. The beautifully landscaped gardens and teal colored stone-tiled pool is simply a dream. The ability to swim/lounge while watching the waves roll in is magnificent. I’ve been in Sri Lanka for 2 years and 4 months now and my stay at Ambalama Villa is by far the most memorable. Thank-you again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your very kind comments and for a resident of Sri Lanka to say this is a real compliment indeed and we very much look forward to your return visit. Season's greetings and all the best for the coming New Year!

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Wow!! Where to start...
The villa is set on the edge of the ocean with all the living space opening onto the balinese infinity pool and then the sea.The views are magnificant.
Relaxed but luxuriuos.Many little extra touches such as flowers on the beds and table.
The staff pampered us enormously and nothing was too much trouble.
Rochan was able to cook anything we requested - even Baked Alaska! The beach barbeque was unforgettable and passionfruit creme brulee amazing.
We even learnt how to play Carram ball (a traditional srilankan board game) -but will never beat Chandrasiri and Guyan!
A definate highlight was when Roshan organised a man to come and climb the palms to fetch the coconuts-before serving them to the children fresh in the swimming pool!
Although this was not supposed to be the best time to visit srilanka we definetely would recommend it- the weather was warm and sunny. We made several trips around the area (with guidance from Rochan), Travelling by tuk-tuk into Galle, and with a driver further afield (waterskiing in Bentota ,Geoffrey Bawla house and garden,a turtle sanctuary and a river safari through the mangrove swamps)
This was the best villa we have ever stayed in and we will definately be back !!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Hi Claire,

Was really wonderful to have you and your family stay at Ambalama Villa. The boys enjoyed taking care of all of you enormously and I am truly glad and happy that you had a wonderful experience. Despite Chris being a personal friend of yours, I appreciate the independence of your review and I could see for myself that you all had a wonderful time, and that you all truly enjoyed Roshan's wonderful cuisine.

Hone you carrom skills and challenge the boys to a competition on your return visit to Ambalama Villa.

Season's Greetings and have a very eventful, prosperous and happy New Year!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Jetwing Lighthouse
#4 of 24 in Galle
Thaproban Beach House
Thaproban Beach House
#4 of 33 in Unawatuna

Been to Ambalama Villa? Share your experiences!