“A perfect hide away”

Shangri-Lanka Villa
Ranked #1 of 66 Bentota B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at Shangri Lanka for 6 nights for the first part of our honeymoon. It was absolutely perfect. Karen and Rohan are fantastic hosts and made us feel very welcome, even before we'd arrived.
The room was great - breakfast on balcony was a particular highlight - especially as it was available any time of the day! We ate most nights at the villa and the food & cocktails were fantastic.
The villa is surrounded by lovely gardens - complete with monkeys swinging in the trees, glow bugs and ghekkos. We enjoyed many an afternoon by the pool with Bobby the dog for company, Ceylon tea and Karen's lovely banana cake!
We went on a two day tour with Rohan up to Kandy which we would recommend.
Our only regret was not spending all of our honeymoon in Sri Lanka. We moved on to the Maldives for the second week which was good but nothing compared to Shangri Lanka. All in all it was the best place we've ever stayed. Can't wait to return to Shangri Lanka in the not too distant future...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I've never been to a place where I was taken care of so well and felt so special. The little touches are what makes this place unique. Every day the beds where made and fresh flowers where set on the bed, and every night we had a special meal cooked for us and served at the candle-lit private balcony.
I cannot recommend this place enough...just perfect..i couldn't have created a better place to make me happy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
shangrilanka, owner at Shangri-Lanka Villa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2009

We are so glad it was such a good experience for you.. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed August 26, 2009

As soon as I arrived I just knew this was the perfect place to chill out. Karen and Rohan are perfect hosts and made the holiday in Sri Lanka with my teenage daughter really memorable. We ate each day there and had beautiful food specially cooked for us. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are beautiful and the grounds lovely. In the second week Rohan took a friend and me on a 4 night tour after my daughter had left and that was absolutely fabulous. He organised absolutely everything and his driving is reassuringly really safe - not always the case with other drivers. I would definitely go back and definitely recommend Shangri-Lanka Villa

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We've just come back from a wedding in Sri Lanka where we spent time touring the island. I initially found Shangri-Lanka Villa on trip advisor whilst trying to find somewhere to stay in Bentota.

The whole experience from arranging the rooms to arriving and finally leaving was excellent. Karen and Rohan have built a beautiful home and excellent accommodation for guests. The rooms were very clean and spacious. Karen had a range of food for us for dinner or lunch with a fridge full of Lion beer and wine. The garden is beautiful with a great pool. The guest house is around 15 minutes walk to the beach or you can get their tuc tuc down there for free.

We wanted to stay somewhere which didn't remind us of our student days back packing around from hostel to hostel but also didn't want to pay inflated prices. Shangri-Lanka Villa offers 5* accommodation with a friendly atmosphere as if you're visiting friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

We aim to please so glad we succeeded. thanks

Reviewed July 30, 2009

I arrived in the evening not feeling too well & got worse during dinner (which was lovely!) Karen & Rohan looked after me, I was so glad to be somewhere friendly! I stayed there for 3 nights, it was so relaxing, especially with the pool! I think I would go back to Sri Lanka just to stay there again. Rohan's a great driver too, didn't feel scared once, not like another driver I had..... Thanks guys!

Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo

We were only too pleased to look after you.. Glad you recovered quickly and didn't have to indulge in any more bad driving! It is quite common here as you saw.. Thanks

Reviewed July 16, 2009

Booked in here for a couple of days and ended up staying for 10! This has got to be the best value fo money anywhere. I was in the top floor room with fantastic views. The accommodation is fab and the pool is great. Sometimes you can see the monkeys swinging past in the trees while you are swimming and at night you can swim under the stars.

I ate here mostly and the food was superb. Karen or rohan asked me each day what I fancied. I ate Sri Lankan curries prepared by Rohan's sister, jumbo prawns and mixed barbeque one night with some other guets.

It is very relaxed and karen and Rohan went out of theirway to help me.
I went on a 3 day tour at the end with Rohan which really I would strongly recommend to anyone. He listenedto what interested me and planned a tour for me with my imput. We could stop when I wanted and could stay as long as I wanted at the sights. I loved Kandy and the elephant orphanage would appeal to anyone.

I travel alot and will definately be returning to Shangri-Lanka villa

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank kmcCheshire
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I have to say that place is fantastic, we wanted a nice romantic getaway after a long winter and we got one!

It is hard to describe all the ease and peace and welcome feeling we had there, you really feel like a welcome guest in a dear friends house.

You have a absolute freedom in your choices - there is no breakfast or lunch or dinner time - you get it when you want it and where you want it - of course, give time to cook it up :-)
And the menu as well is your choice - fish and seafood is just fantastic - lobsters, prawns, crabs... and the tea... oh my! Miss your fish and chips or fried chicken - no problem!

Just to explain the attitude - one day we mentioned we prefer Australian wine and we got a choice of those same evening... or, for example, I like very hot and spicy food while my wife does not - no problem, extra spices and those lovely red chillies for me and just a pinch for a taste for my wife, or I'm really paranoid about mosquito's - was just enough to mention it and we got mosquito candles fresh and lid up every evening nevermind that there were no problems with them...

Beach is fabulous and don't be scared off because villa is not on the beach - we were taken to it on tuk-tuk each day... just a 2min ride till very nice beach restaurant with full service right on the beach - fresh juices, gin-tonics, food... Imagine dining right on the fantastic sandy beach of Indian ocean... I don't think it can get better than this! And beach is almost deserted - I mean few more couples and that's it! Amazing!
5 min walk on the beach and you're at the spa - we went there every day! And after getting all pampered and massaged someone from villa always picked us up!

So, to sum it all up - experience is way better than in any hotel because of personal attitude to your every needs and desires - if it can be done, it will be done!
Everything can be arranged - massages, fishing trips, sightseeing and so on!
Prices very fair!

Karen, Rohan, thank you very much for your hospitality! We had a truly fantastic stay!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple