I chose this property over the Taj and that's not something a regular Indian would do in Bentota. And, thank God for that. We just loved our stay here. The hotel is not a budget property, mind you, but it's true value for every $ spent. The approach to the property is through winding narrow roads and you start getting jitters, whether you made the right decision.
Once, you enter the property, it's like finding a nice sweet spot on a picnic trip. It's quiet, it's on the river and it is beautiful. The hotel is very very nice and the white rooms and the white furniture almost makes you feel you are in some nice place. Something like a bungalow right out of the tea gardens in Eastern India.
The staff is very friendly and they went out of their way to take care of our needs. It's a small property so don't expect 24X7 room service with a 20 page menu. They have a set menu from which you can choose your food.
We requested a lot of local food and the chef agreed to treat us to the SL fare, which was very good. Breakfast is a continental affair and you don't mind that after a heavy spicy dinner.
We met the owner, Ms Susan for breakfast and she was a nice person to interact with.
The motor boat the hotel owns acts as a shuttle between the beach and the hotel, which is a big relief. The ride across the mangroves is a short one but you almost feel like you are in Sunderbans as you are navigated across the low hanging branches of the mangroves.
We saw a lot of monitors lazing on the river banks and the kids were pretty excited to see some impromptu wildlife.
I think we spent too little time in the hotel. This is the place you should come and just chill for a week and forget about the world.
I would definitely be coming back next year and this time it would be a longer stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterside is an elegant well maintained Villa with restaurant,which is situated in a unique riverside location,and has magnificent views over the wide Bentota Ganga. Waterside is popular with guests of all nationalities.We have 6 ensuite (with bathtub and shower) A/C rooms with bar fridge,fan and satellite TV.The large open restaurant serves delicious Sri Lankan and Western dishes as well as mouth watering seafood.During your stay you can relax by our pool which is only a few steps from all the rooms, whilst enjoying the surrounding mature tropical garden and river views.We offer complimentary boat transfer to nearby beach, water sports or town.If you require Ayuvedic massage we can recommend several treatment centres.Excursions and tours to all the magnificent sites in this beautiful island can be arranged.If you wish to explore the local area we provide bicycles or we can organise local scenic tuk tuk rides . Fishing trips ,bird watching and river trips are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Waterside Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterside Bentota Hotel Bentota
- The Waterside Hotel Bentota