“Tropical Paradise”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Bentota
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Tropical Paradise”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed in the Dalmanuta Gardens for 5 nights. There are only 9 detached bungalows so its a very private, quiet and relaxing resort. The staff was waiting for us with a welcoming drink and showed us to our lovely home for the next 5 nights. The rooms are large, very clean and comfortable and very importantly bug free. Its lovely to have your dinner sitting in the cabana over the river listening to the sounds of nature. The service was excellent and very attentive. Our waiter Suresh really looked after us for the entire stay. I think our favourite thing about the hotel was the lovely gardens filled with birds and other wildlife. We had a few trips on the boat which was lovely and relaxing too. I'd really recommend a stay here if travelling to Bentota.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouiseEoin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Resort is delightfully set at the bank of Bentota River. Full marks to the owners for selecting this top location. I stayed here for 6 nights during vacation in 3rd week of Aug, 13. Following are the salient features and some of our observations:

1) Rooms:
We stayed in Room-3, which was quite spacious. However, space can be utilized more efficiently. In the big common bathroom, space is available for putting a bath tub.Similarly, the additional wash basin can be taken out. The smaller bathroom adjacent to the common bath room can be converted into a store room, this will enable removing the wooden cabinet behind the TV, which is presently utilized for hanging clothes.
Additionally, putting up Qibla direction signs in the rooms will be a big help for Muslims at prayer times.

2) Staff:
Staff is friendly and attentive. They respond to the queries efficiently. Muhammad in the housekeeping team is very helpful in this regard. Restaurant staff is also very friendly and accomodating. Full marks to Chamal (Hotel Manager) for keeping such a wonderful crew of people.

3) River Restaurant:
Plenty of variety is available during Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. However, the prices are on the higher side, and cheaper alternatives with similar quality food are available in Bentota city, Aluthgama, or Beruwala. Kandoori is one option.

4) Wi Fi:
Wi Fi is free of charge, however, signals were a bit weak.

5) Swimming Pool:
One big pool, with an adjacent bar is available. Jacuzzi is also available nearby. The big pool has variable depths, and would be worthwhile to mention the depths of various sections of the pool on the adjacent wall, as a safety prompt.

6) Herbal Garden / Silent Garden:
Very nice, meditating and quiet environment. Was amazed to see such a variety of plants and herbs in the garden. One point of improvement could be putting up some additional lights on the pathways of silent garden for better illumination in the nights. The same pathway is also used for accessing River Restaurant.

7) Tours:
Tour rates (such as to Galle etc) sponsored from Hotel have the capacity for improvement, as similar tour packages are available in Bentota / Aluthgama at lower rates.
The daily free boat tour to Bentota Beach is a very good facility for Resort guests.

8) Gym / Spa:
Gym / Spa have up to date facilities. Resort Doctor was very friendly and cooperative.

Overall, staying at the Resort was a very good experience, and would like to come back again during next visit to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FahadAftab
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dalmanuta Gardens was the perfect place to end our 1-week trip in Sri Lanka. Staff is nice and rather discreet, food is tasty and the place is peaceful a very well maintained. Rooms are very spacious and clean, the location on the river is perfect. A free boat ride is offered once a day to the beach (noon) and back to the hotel (4pm). The boat even goes in the mangrove and narrow passages in the jungle, which can save you the full boat safari if you're not very keen on spending you're money for that activity. People in the Ayurvedic center seem very professional, you can be advised by a doctor upon arrival on what type of massage and oil you should get, and I guess this center is perfect for people willing to get a full Ayurvedic treatment.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a charming place in a delightful setting. The staff are gentle, gracious and attentive, the menu is sensitive to western palates, the cuisine is excellent and the bungalow-style accommodations are private, spacious and wonderfully clean...perfect for a few, quiet, low-key days to decompress. The gym could use a little upgrade but we really appreciated the Ayurvedic approach to wellness and the complimentary assessment from the doctor who helped me with my headache. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Artistina
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I agree with all the other reviews about Dalmanuta as a wonderful tourist resort. It is paradise, with huge bungalows, private gardens, a pool that shines like a diamond.The bunglaow has quiet and modern air conditioning as well as a fan. I had only one small problem - one day the shower would not drain and Mohamed was round within minutes and sorted it out. Very special attention to detail.
I had full Ayurvedic treatment for two weeks. The doctor and Pushpa and Manori were intuitive and excellent. They cured headaches which had dogged me for decades and which western medicine had failed to even alleviate let alone eliminate. Unlike the previous reviewer, I found the restaurant fully coordinated. I was given a menu according to my dosha type and ordered accordingly. The doctor usually visited me at breakfast to give me some herbs and assess my progress.
The restaurant itself is spectacular. Athula cooks tasty and varied dishes, compliant with the treatment and Suresh serves with friendliness and care.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Christine D
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a lovely resort and very evident by previous reviews. My primary reason for booking this resort was for an authentic Ayurvedic holiday to relax,rejuvenate ,cleanse and recharge. My eight day stay at this resort was right after the big Sri Lankan New Year holiday and the beginning of the low season (end of April). The resort was less than half occupancy and some renovations were taking place.

The hotel is as lovely as reviewed by others, the grounds, the garden, the river front etc... all well taken care of and beautifully tranquil. My room was huge, comfortable and had everything you needed. The housekeeping ,especially "Mohammed", wanted to make sure of this. The little garden space in front of each cottage is a wonderful place to relax early in the morning and listen to the wonderful tropical sounds.

After an initial consultation with Dr. Dhammika, I had eight days of incredible Ayurvedic treatments which included all types of massage with different types of oils and powders/scrubs, Shirodara, and herbal steams and baths. My therapist "Pushpa" was
wonderfully skilled with intuitive hands and a calming spirit. I looked forward to my daily treatments and the Dr. was very helpful and always available for questions and discussions about my health.

The disconnect in my experience came with the restaurant. I am not sure if it was because of the recent Sri Lankan New Year or the low occupancy, but the continuity with the Ayurvedic program that I was committed to fell apart here. No one at the restaurant, especially the chef, seemed very knowledgeable about the foods that were required for each person and their Dosha. The first couple days I was served foods that were inconsistent to what the Dr. discussed that would be right for me. The buffets were sparse and not well attended to.

I did mention my issues with the manager, Chamal, and he was very quick and efficient to try to resolve the issues of having the restaurant be cohesive with the Ayurvedic program.

I know others write highly about the food and the quality of the restaurant, but this was my experience on a full board Ayurvedic program. Since in Ayurveda "the food is the medicine" , one would hope that this aspect of the program would be up to the same high level as the rest of the resort. This was a real disappointment for me.

I would recommend this resort for a lovely relaxing holiday with some nice treatments for a couple days, but for authentic Ayurveda.... I am not sure that this is the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank L-ECAEP
Peer F, Owner at Dalmanuta Gardens - Ayurvedic Resort & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Madam.
Thank you for your kind words of praise concerning your 8 days of Ayurvedic Treatment and that you found that Dalmanuta was as lovely as reviewed by others, the grounds, the gardens, the riverfront, the housekeeping and the Ayurveda Treatment.
We try hard to offer an as Authentic Ayurveda as possible without being dogmatic or patronizing. According to Ayurvedic traditions, no food is dangerous to eat as long as you take it in small quantities.
Unlike Ayurvedic Hospitals we do serve Wine, Seafood and Meat at Dalmanuta. We never offer this to Ayurveda Guests. If any guests would like to “spoil” themselves for whatever reason the possibility is there, but we always ask the guests kindly to consult the doctor first.
In your case the staff got the impression that you already really know from before or from the Doctors advice what was good for you. They did not want to patronize you when you asked for different dishes. The client is always right.
At buffets we have special explanations at every dish describing what doshas is affected by the food. We also have different menus in the restaurant, corresponding to the three different doshas. We also have an a´ la Carte Menu. All those menus can also be found at our web page.
Our restaurant staff and especially Chef Athula, have great experience of Ayurvedic Food, as well as of many other styles of cooking, but most of all they know that guests are “ALLWAYS RIGHT”.
We sincerely apologise for the misunderstanding on our behalf. We have just now had a deep and intense discussion with the entire staff to avoid recurrences in the future, and we continue to work with our language improvement program.
Dear Madam, I assure you that we will make every effort possible to perfect your diet and of course your stay in general, whenever you find the time and means. I’m sure that we will find a way to compensate you.
Very welcome back and may joy and happiness follow your days.
Ayoubovan (Have a good long life)
Yours Sincerely

Peer Franzén
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We came for the Ayurvedic treatments which were wonderful! Relaxing, well priced and staff extremely professional.

The Sri Lankan food is out of this world! Athula and his team maintain the highest standards if cleanliness in the kitchen. They are exceptionally proud of their food and with good reason-it's amazing!!!

Even if you don't stay here, you MUST visit!

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Cocoon Resort & Villas
Cocoon Resort & Villas
#3 of 9 in Induruwa
Wunderbar Beach Club Hotel
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Bentota Beach by Cinnamon

Been to Dalmanuta Gardens - Ayurvedic Resort & Restaurant? Share your experiences!