Club Villa
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota(Bentota)
$114
Orbitz.com
$203
Saman Villas(Bentota)
$413
All reviewsrailway linegeoffrey bawasri lankaboutique hotelshort walkhaven of peacedeserted beachtrains passingyears evefour poster bedlight sleepersmall hotelfirst floorswimming poolhalf boarda lovely place to staygreat pool
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Enjoyed time at Club Villa but as title suggests the cheap holiday makers in coaches spoiled the stay somewhat. Perhaps I should have researched better but the website makes the Hotel look like great fun but with privacy. Fun , yes but there is basically one public area for all to enjoy and this was always taken by louts swearing and allowing the children to scream all day .

On the plus side, I thought the staff were diligent and happy to offer assistance. Food was good and the room clean, comfortable and fun colours!

Families would enjoy this Hotel but couples perhaps search elsewhere as Bentota has a plethora of Hotels for all types of tourists.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2010

During my visit to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks, I was fortunate enough to stay in Bentota Club Villa for 2 nights. My experience at Club Villa was exceptional. I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful staff. They even filled my information card while I was sipping on my welcome drink, and all I had to do was to sign it.
My room was clean and spacious and had an excellent view of the pool. The service staff cleaned up the rooms while we had dinner so we always walked into a tidy room for a night of peaceful rest. I was there with a few of my friends, and the hotel staff made sure that we were always comfortable and our needs were met. I managed to get a traditional ayurvedic massage at the hotel at a very reasonable price.
The beach was clean and the sunsets were gorgeous on both evenings. The food was good, but there is room for improvement. We were there on a half board basis which included breakfast and dinner. For breakfast we were given tea/coffee, fruit plate and either eastern or western style breakfast. I tried both and was quite pleased with the Sri Lankan style breakfast. Was a little spicy but wasn’t overwhelming. I loved it. Tea and coffee were served in the grassy lawn in the early evening with cake and cookies. Dinner entrées were chosen at that time. The good thing about this place was the fact that they didn’t have a set time for the meals. We were able to get our food when we were ready not when they wanted us to be ready. So we didn’t have to wake up too early for breakfast or go too early for dinner. The only negative I have to comment on the dinner was the fact they didn’t serve the soup in a soup bowl, it was more like a coffee mug. This practice needs to be changed immediately.
The first day while we were out shopping for some souvenirs we decided to have lunch at a place called Silk Route. It was about one kilometer south of the Club Villa. We were pleasantly surprised by the food at this café. The theme… name says it all. They had food from many countries of the “Silk Route”. I had the café special, Jumbo Lagoon Prawns in curry leaf sauce and it was the best I had. The shrimp looked like lobsters. My friends ordered kebabs and hummus and Thai fried rice. We were all very satisfied customers we went back for lunch the next day as well. I had flavored iced tea which was very refreshing and my friends had the fresh fruit juice… the best fresh juice we had during our entire time in Sri Lanka.
The day we wanted to check out the manager offered us a late check out as he didn’t want to rush us as we were enjoying some local cocktails at the poolside at Club Villa. This gesture by the management showed that they were all about caring for their guests.
I have no hesitation recommending Club Villa in Bentota for anyone who is looking for a relaxing and beautiful environment where you are not rushed on a set schedule. Bentota was one of my favorite places in Sri Lanka and hope to visit again in the near future. If you don’t plan on staying in Bentota, at least stop at Silk Route for lunch; international cuisine at its best. Club Villa… keep up your good work and thank you for a memorable stay with you all.
Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Stayed there one weekend and found the place very calm and romantic. Stayed in the villa, 1st floor. Very nice room with a big balcony with a view over the garden, train track and the ocean. Service was very friendly and professional. Only one thing was a bit annoying - the waiter was only addressing my husband - asked him if the food was nice, what Sir would like to have to drink etc, but ignored me totally. It was only this person, but it was a bit of a downturn for me. The rest of the staff was very nice and friendly. Food was good but not excellent. I liked the place very much, sent even my parents there later on to relax one weekend out of colombo. Unfortunately they ate some salad that made them sick, but otherwise they were happy with the place and the service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Amazing villa designed by Bawa. Nice settings and gardens. Disapointing rooms. Would deserve refurbishment of rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed in Club Villa following the recommendation of a former expat in Sri Lanka, who told us this hotel was his favorite in the whole country. Now the hotel was gorgeous, even the smaller rooms (never did get to see the larger rooms), the garden was perfect and the small pool very refreshing The problem is I don't think this room was worth more than 100 dollars, maybe 150 in high season, but we paid 202 dollars. I expect real luxury for this money, not a charming boutique hotel, a small room (nicely decorated though) with a simple bathroom and a noisy airconditioner (big minus for me in this hot climate). The food was definitely not up to standard either, except for the good breakfast. The coffee was instant or badly made Sri Lankan style filter coffee, the western food was invariable flavorless and there was no Sri Lankan food available for lunch, only for dinner and then only upon prior reservation. We had hoped for excellent food and drink spending this much money on our last day in the country but were sorely disappointed. Luckily, the garden was so enchantingly beautiful with all the birds and squirrels and that quirky trainline right through it, we did not let these issues spoil our stay. The staff was polite and relatively well trained. We really appreciated the manager's gesture of a 6pm checkout free of charge.
Club Villa is beautiful, charming and boutique sure, but also overpriced and overrated foodwise...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple